Surge protection

jimpav

Just wondering what owners are using for surge protection? I'm thinking of buying the Progressive Ind. 50 amp model. I've read good things about them. I couldn't find anywhere in the Heartland material what the factory supplies or recommends. thanks

jimtoo

Hi Jimpav,
Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. I'm sure you will find lots of good information here and meet lots of great people, especially when you attend some of the rallies.

I have the Progressive Ind, 50 amp model and very pleased with it. I'm sure the factory does not supply or recommend a certain protector.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

lhetsler

PT50C Progressive industries

I also have the PT50 C by progressive industries. It give full coverage, voltage protection, amp readout, loss of ground, surge protection, polarity protection. It is nice to just plug in and after it checks everything send power to the coach after a 136 second delay. It then continuously monitors your electrical conection. This is an EMS, electrical management system rather than just a surge protector. Highly recommend it.

Tom of Ypsi

Get a surge protector. We had one installed last year on our LM and it saved our coach this past winter. We were experiencing low voltage and if it were not for the protector shutting the current down we probably would have lost or damaged appliances, computers and who knows what else.

B

bwwalczak

We do not recommend any one brand of surge protector. Please consult with your local dealer for aftermarket solutions.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Just wondering what owners are using for surge protection? I'm thinking of buying the Progressive Ind. 50 amp model. I've read good things about them. I couldn't find anywhere in the Heartland material what the factory supplies or recommends. thanks

We have the Progressive Industries 50 amp portable model. We had it go out once due to a surge and the company replaced it without questions. I personally highly recommend their products and the company.

cjbearden

Visitor
We will chime in on having the Progressive Ind 50 amp portable model surge protector. Saved our equipment several times.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I guess I can chime in with my 2¢.
We purchased the Surge Guard 50A portable. It has saved us twice.
BC

jimpav

Well, it looks like the consensus is that we all should have some sort of surge/low-high power protection. We are getting really close to buying the new Eagle Ridge 35DSRL, and before I plug into anything, I want to be protected. I just find it odd that such an important device wouldn't be standard on these expensive units. I'd give up the outside speakers or outside shower easily! thanks

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Jimpav
You don't have to buy a surge protector.
But it would be good to ask .. Do you feel Lucky...
Another subject about the RV's that we buy. We buy an RV that is with in our financial range. You definitely can purchase an RV that has many things standard, such as Surge protectors, hydraulic jacks, leveling jacks, independent suspension, disk brakes, Michelin tires, 2 A/C's, Full insulation for 20* below Zero, and such. The big question, can you afford the Prevost. If so here is a website you might check one out. http://www.prevost-stuff.com/2010_prevost_parliament_coach_PARL_174.htm . Notice they don't show the price.

Now don't get upset.. I am not picking on you. Just the opposite. There are a lot of things that all of us would like to have on our RV's but we will have to improve what we have as time goes by. Most of us can not afford the costs up front but over a few months or years we can improve what we have to meet our desires or needs.
BC

talley

After over two years without surge protection and not having any problems, I feel lucky. Last week I installed the Progressive Industries 50 amp hardwired EMS. The selected area for placement of the EMS 50 was cramped and cluttered with wires and hoses. I built a platform and placed the converter on top and the EMS 50 on the floor under the elevated platform. I installed the model with the remote readout. I installed the monitor on the side of the steps leading to bedroom area. This placement allows viewing from the entrance door each time I enter. After connecting to the park power or if I have been away for the day, I am able to check the monitor from the doorway without entering or opening a cabinet.

After recently reading the post on water damage to the converter, I find the elevated platform a plus. Now I need to go back in and evaluate any exposure to dripping water.

Attached views from basement, fire extinguisher removed for access and monitor placement.

Jerry

Attachments

• IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    465.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    383 KB · Views: 78

lhetsler

Surge Protection

I didn't mention this in my previous post about my EMS PT50C portable from Progressive Industries. I had a SOB trailer. It started blowing the circuit breaker everytime I used the air conditioning. I could not figure what was wrong. After some pondering I notice some burned plastic wire coverings on the wires, especially the white wires. After further investigation I found all the wires had been burned from overheating. I could not even loosen the wires to change them. They were literally welded to the terminals. I am sure it was from a surge or improperly wired campground. Required replacement of the entire electrical box. What a mess. With your rig costing in the thousands of dollars, a couple hundred on Electrical Management is a must. I learned the hard way. Yes, you might get lucky, even for a few years, but sooner or later, it will get you.

ONE OTHER THING - While on the subject, make sure all of your wire screws in your electrical box are tight. Loose wires or improperly tightened wires causes heat to build up. One of the first things I did with my new bighorn was to tighten all the screws in the box and at the battery location. Most were okay, but I did find a few that should have been tighter. I check these once a year along with other maintenance.

jimpav

Excellent advise on checking all the electrical terminations. I will add that to my PDI when I pick up the unit. Going to test pull this weekend. I still feel that the OEM's should supply one of these protectors as standard equip, no matter if you have a 15' trailer or 45' Prevost.
Another overlooked thing are the wheels and tires. I understand that Heartland uses cast Al wheels, and rubber valve stems. I know that adding forged wheels and metal valve stems would add to the cost, but I'd rather pay for it through the OEM than pay more later elsewhere. It appears that most trailer purchase decisions are made by the lady of the house, and consequently the OEM's cater to their ideas. That's not a bad idea by any means as men in general don't have that kind of eye for things.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Just another thing to think about... I prefer the portable PT50 rather than the fixed one. The reason for this is that before I ever unhook, the first thing I do is hook up to the electrical box (pedestal) and if there is a problem with the power I can move to another campsite or campground. I never even have to get out the power cord. I just take a bicycle lock and lock it to the pedestal when hooking up. The other thing is if I ever get a different RV I take the unit with me and don't have to unhook wiring. Just a thought...

jbeletti

...I still feel that the OEM's should supply one of these protectors as standard equip, no matter if you have a 15' trailer or 45' Prevost...

Jim,

Thank you for your input on this. I can give you a few reasons why this is not a standard item on Heartland RVs, and most others for that matter.

• Do you want it built in or portable? Some want it portable, others prefer it built-in.
  • Do you want the remote display with that? Some feel "less is more" - as long as it works, I don't want more displays and buttons to confuse me.
  • Do you prefer Progressive, Hughes or one of the other few brands
  • Do you want Surge only protection, or under-voltage boost too?
  • What about frequency protection, do you want that as well?
My point is that these items are a very good item to have when you are unsure of the quality of power you are hooking onto in campgrounds around North America, but there are so many brands and configurations, that it would be a host of options that most RV manufacturers would prefer to let retail make the choice on and have purchased and installed by an RV dealer or service center.

On these items, unlike tires, there is no retail offset by getting these installed at the RV plant as it does not displace other equipment.

Finally, to force this option on every RV made would drive retail cost to every buyer - even the ones who don't want it.

So it's not that your idea is a bad one - it's a great idea. And a great item to have on an RV if one feels they need it. I just don't see it as an item that Heartland or most manufacturers will embrace as a standard item on all coaches.

Thanks for provoking discussion on it as others also may have wondered "why doesn't Heartland put this on every coach and charge accordingly".

Jim