Any Ideas ?

imchud

We have a Bighorn 3385 with a queen bed... On my DW side of the bed (left) she has a small cabnet next to her side to put her things on... But on my side there is nothing, the bed buts up to the wall, and ther is a small window on my side... The only place I have to put anything is on a small lip (about 3 inches) on top of the head board where I can place my glasses on, but thats about it... Does any body have any ideas where I can mount a shelf or something without it looking out of place :mad:???

Thomas

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Makes you wonder if the people building these campers ever actual go camping in them doesn't it? It is not just heartland, it is all of the rv makers. They try to cut cost where they can and cutting out a $25.00 cabinet is one of the places they do it. I have no solution other than going to home depot/lowes & looking for a shelf or cabinet to fit your needs.

Jim & Harriet

bed shelf

hi tom,
if you go to our photo album there are pictures of a bedside shelf that we added to our sundance 3300sk. ours are on the left and right sides of the bed (no cabinet in the sundance.) there is enough room for a book, remote control for the tv, etc. we found the idea in a catalog from a different rv company and our son measured our space and made the shelf. the cost was minimal - the wood was from scraps and the brackets were just a few $$$.
hope it works for you.
j & h
via the forum you can also go to sundance > modifications > bedside shelf

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I don't think it's a cost cutting situation as much as it is a design problem. A lot depends on the bedroom layout. to make a slide out 6" longer "just" for an extra shelf affects the entire layout of the wall framing. I went to Walmart and bought 2 of those foam things that are supposed to hang in your car for glasses. I use them for the remotes. I'll post a pic asap.

Jim & Harriet

bedside shelf

here is our bedside shelf. it extends from and wraps around the corner of the slide and does not block the movement of the slide at all. :)

Attachments

• add a shelf.jpg
    add a shelf.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 134
  • 6a r window - after.jpg
    6a r window - after.jpg
    780.8 KB · Views: 174

imchud

here is our bedside shelf. it extends from and wraps around the corner of the slide and does not block the movement of the slide at all. :)

Wow... what a great job, I love the idea... I got a friend that has a wood shop, now you got my the gears in my head turning, thanks Jim... The idea of the pouch is a great idea also... thanks...

Tom

Jim & Harriet

shelf

hi tom.
glad you like the shelf. our son made a template and then cut the wood to fit. he has a shop also and was able to use scrap wood for this project
(if you check our album you will see a few other modifications we have made.) having wood scraps really helps to keep the cost down ;)
and - i hate throwing things away so we keep "scraps."

i don't know how much space you have in the bighorn, but our shelf does extend over the bed (not too far.) you can adapt the idea to whatever size fits for you. if you need any other help - let me know.
j

imchud

hi tom.
glad you like the shelf. our son made a template and then cut the wood to fit. he has a shop also and was able to use scrap wood for this project
(if you check our album you will see a few other modifications we have made.) having wood scraps really helps to keep the cost down ;)
and - i hate throwing things away so we keep "scraps."

i don't know how much space you have in the bighorn, but our shelf does extend over the bed (not too far.) you can adapt the idea to whatever size fits for you. if you need any other help - let me know.
j

Jim,
Thanks... my area (wall & window) looks just like yours buy mines on the right side... One question, does your arm bang into it during the night?
it looks like it would, or is it high enough to keep your arm under it?

Tom

Jim & Harriet

bed shelf

hi tom,
the shelf in the previous photo i posted was on the right. wife's side...no arm bumping problems.
here is a photo of the shelf on the other side (my side - the left.) there is room between the shelf and the mattress. i'm a very sound sleeper, so i have not noticed any bruises :D.
hope this other photo helps, let me know how it goes.
j

Attachments

• 5b l window - after.jpg
    5b l window - after.jpg
    779.6 KB · Views: 106

jgilbert

The only problem I see with the around the corner bedside shelves is.........Doesn't it cause extra problems with making the bed? It is already hard enough to get those bed mattress corners covered as it is.

How about it? Does it make it harder to make the bed or not? As you can see, I've got too much free time on my hands.

Joe

Jim & Harriet

hi joe,
you are right, the bed-making is a bit tricky - even without the added shelves.
we slide the mattress forward to get the corners of the bottom sheet onto the mattress. then just slide it back in place. as far as the top sheet and the blankets/comforter, i have given up trying to tuck it all back nicely and now just fold them forward neatly and stack the pillows on the un-blanketed part of the bottom sheet. (can you picture that?) it works for us...
before we built the floor-storage box that added space beside the bed, i had a much more difficult time. but standing on that helps make the bed-making easier (see our album for the floor extension storage box.)
not being able to walk easily around the bed is an annoying part of rv living, but, in the overall scheme of things, really just a minor problem. ;)
j & h

elwaller39

Evans & Lana
On our older BigHorn we have a small self under the window on my side. I do not think that would too hard to have made and mounted under the window. I does become very useful for the television control or your glasses.

Hart

If you like the idea of the pouch from Bed, Bath & Beyond......you can also use a generic shoe holder. The type that hangs & is made of fabric with many pouches. Just remove hanger & tuck the excess length under the mattress.

BTW, we have a hanging clear pocket thing we use in the closet to organize miscellaneous items such as fuses, batteries, light bulbs, etc