Another tire question.......

caokgafamily

I guess I just dont get it. Why cant I just buy a truck/suv tire for the Bighorn ? As long as it can handle the wieght "e" rating etc it should be good to go. I've got some Michellin on my truck and they have been through h-ll. They were cheaper than the XPS ribs. Please tell me were I'm going wrong.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Steve, I think some owners have used LT tires without incident. I don't know the exact reason but I wouldn't hesitate to ask a tire expert YOU trust. I know the VIN label on our 3400RL specifies an ST tire. It may have a lot to do with the make-up of the cord design and the sidewall may be stronger in an ST tire.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
How do you determine from the VIN what tires are recommended (ST vs. LT)? And if ST's are required, why is HL putting LT's on 3670's? In the two websites shown above, one says LT's are not for light trucks and the other says they are :confused:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
ST's are Special Trailer tires. They have amaximum speed limit of 65mph. They are normally narrower than other tires.

LT's are Light Truck tires. These have a varity of differences, one such as the XP Ribs, they have a 98 mph speed limit and have a very heavy sidewall. The ones I put on my trailer are LT235/8516E1.

Michelin does not make a larger G rated tire. I wish they would. Many go to Goodyear to get the larger G614 tire.

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
And if ST's are required, why is HL putting LT's on 3670's? In the two websites shown above, one says LT's are not for light trucks and the other says they are :confused:

I have wondered the same thing since buying my Bighorn. Tires are designated by, P=Passenger, LT=Light Truck and ST=Special Trailer. Trailer tires have stronger materials and have more rigid sidewalls to compensate for the weight, road abuse and difference in supension between trailers and passenger vehicles.

SmokeyBare

All that said about the "ST" tires... Designed for the ridged use of a Trailer... doesn't it make you wonder why they are failing? Seems most have some form of tread separation happening.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Well, as stated. What is all the fuss about. ST tires are made for trailers. Manufacturers are putting ST tires on Trailers. Tires are blowing up.
Solution, do research, listen to those that have experience, do what you feel is good for you.

A little info.... http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/marathon_gen_info_032806.pdf

Each of us has to do what is good for us. That is why we have the forum to exchange ideas.... Ask questions.. Learn from others... or start from the beginning and experience everything for ourselves. Either way we will learn. :p
FWIW
BC

Last edited: