Towing A Big Horn 5th Wheeler

Mel

I have a 2007 Dodge truck 3500, HD, SRW, 6 speed auto transmission, with tow haul and exhaust brake
I have never towed a fifth wheel before, only a 26ft travel trailer.
I just ordered a new 2010 34ft Big Horn, which has a dry weight of 11550 lbs and a GVWR of 14500 can anyone tell me from past experience how well my truck will tow this new coach.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
You should not have any problem towing. As a matter of fact you might have to look in the rear view to remember it is back there.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
i have a 2007 dodge truck 3500, hd, srw, 6 speed auto transmission, with tow haul and exhaust brake
i have never towed a fifth wheel before, only a 26ft travel trailer.
i just ordered a new 2010 34ft big horn, which has a dry weight of 11550 lbs and a gvwr of 14500 can anyone tell me from past experience how well my truck will tow this new coach.

you will have no problem, the bighorn will actually almost tow itself down the road...........

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Mel, your truck will be just fine. And these fifth wheels tow like a dream. Only thing is they track a little different on turns than travel trailers do. Remember to take wider turns. Just ask my mail box. :eek:
Peace Dave

jimtoo

Hi Mel,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. You will find a lot of great people and good information here.

Your truck will tow it fine, even tho it is a Dodge. :D I hope you have a great time in your new toy. Only the wait for delivery will be difficult.

Any questions you have can be answered right here usually.

Jim M

Mel

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the information. I am a few weeks away from delivery.
Just finished installing a Draw Tite 18K Hitch on my pickup.

Thanks Again
Mel

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Mel, Welcome to the Heartland Forum & Family. Prepare to be in awe of the way that Bighorn follows your Dodge. Enjoy the new 5th wheel.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Mel
Welcome to the forum. Your F350 should handle the Bighorn. Which one did you order.
Have you ever pulled a 5th wheel? If not as said before it will pull very nicely but you need to find a big empty parking lot, some orange cones and practice backing.

Hope you have a great time.
BC

Mariposa

DodgeP/U

Mel
I use a 08 Dodge 4x4 3500 short bed with the tow haul, 6 speed auto, and exhaust brake.
From a standing start, going up hill you will notice the Dodge is not as fast as it is when not towing.
You wouldn't have any trouble, the Big Horn is a dream to pull. So much better than a TT. The 5'er does cheat on turns, make those turn a bit wider.
Bob

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Congratulation on your upcoming new arrival. You should not have any problems with your current truck. We just received our new dodge 3500 single wheel short bed truck and heading out west to SD and WY. Can't wait to see the difference from the '05 2500 dodge that we had. Enjoy your new rig.

Mariposa

different

Nabo
And difference will be noticed. in some of the states where speed limits are higher the speed of the rig can get away if you aren't watching it.
Keep them all on the road.
Enjoy
Bob

lhetsler

Towing Dodge 3500

I tow a Bighorn 3670 with the same exact truck 2007, 3500, 6.7 assuming yours is dually. It tows nicely. No problem even in the mountains. The engine brake is really great for saving the brakes. Pickup is great and open roads you might forget you are even towing anything.

fishinrvr

W have a 2006 Dodge diesel short bed 2500 with airbags and a Jake Brake towing a Bighorn 3055 (34’) loaded to the hilt (near 14k on the scales with a 3k tongue weight) and it tows like a dream.

Even with the one ton truck I would look into adding some airbags as they will make a huge difference in leveling your load as well giving you more control with your load.

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
So I should steer clear of a Bighorn 3670 RL (12,321# dry) with a 2008 2500hd Chevy? (6.6l duramax/allison combo)