Just added a panel to my North Trail 28BHS

Edmonton

Over the weekend I installed the first stage of my solar power project for our trailer. I plan to add an inverter and possibly another panel if needed down the road. It was a lot of work to get it in properly but I think it turned out nice. And I get to say I did it myself which is always good whenever people start asking questions about the system and how it works.

I decided on the GoPower system below. It has a 25 year warranty and is a Canadian company. It comes with a 25 amp charge controller and the required wiring. Although I had to get more wire to finish the job.

2337479420103298547S200x200Q85.jpg

Not sure if I like the way it attached to the roof as per the instructions. The North Trail has basically 1/4" luan board over foam blocks for the roof construction, which can support your weight if you are up there but didn't really provide a lot of "meat" to dig a wood screw into. I sealed it with self leveling sealant in the holes and over the mounts when screwed down.

2649416700103298547S200x200Q85.jpg

2499085840103298547S200x200Q85.jpg

I ran the wires down through the fridge vent and underneath the fridge, through the furnace cavity and eventually ending up in one side of the dinette. I thought that would be the best place for the charge controller, in case I decide to change trailers and want to take the system with me I won't have a hole in the wall. I sheathed all the wires in plastic flex tubing and attached to the sides of the dinette.

2033623420103298547S200x200Q85.jpg

2025354790103298547S200x200Q85.jpg

The red and white wires I had to purchase. #10 stranded wire that can handle 30 amps. I ran this over to the other side of the dinette (couldn't drill down on the side that has the controller because of the fresh water tank), and then under the trailer and out to the batteries. All the wires are up under the under belly covering until they get out front and then the last foot is sheathed like inside. This what the controller looks like installed and running.

2674073960103298547S200x200Q85.jpg

On Monday it was pretty sunny and I was getting 5.2 amps charging. Today it was cloudy and the only time I had a look I saw 2.2 amps charging. I am looking for about 36 amps per day of return on average in my grand plan so I will see how it goes over the summer. I eventually have to be able to run a hair dryer, I couldn't convince her to get a hat lol.

Edmonton

Edmonton

I think I probably have posted this the wrong area. Maybe a moderator can move it for me so I don't have to type it out again. Sorry.

Should be in North Trail, Modifications, Solar

Thanks
Edmonton

sjarrell

Success through Design
Great job

That is a really nice looking setup. My wife and I were thinking of going this route. We dry camped the first week we bought our F'ver and it was about 28 outside at night. Day two we had no power and no heat. I added the second battery that day. But I was looking into solar as a way to prevent this in the future. Again I have to say nice job.

Edmonton

Thanks

It has worked really good so far. First time out this year we went 4 nights with heavy furnace usage. Batteries stayed good the whole weekend.

I am impressed with it so far.

David

sjarrell

Success through Design
So the one panel was more than enough to keep the batteries charged. Do you plan on expanding this setup or is this just for the batteries?