Connecting BIGHORN to home cable

patrick1945

We use our fifth wheel trailer for 4 months(winter)in Florida each year and the balance of the year parks behind the garage. There we use it as another bedroom during the summer.

I would like to extend the cable to the trailer but need some advice. What do I need when it comes to coaxial cable, connectors and boosters etc.?

SmokeyBare

Patrick,

You should be able to locate all you need at any home builder center or Radio Shack location. They sell coaxial cable in many different lengths... it can be bought with the proper connections already attached... but if you buy BULK lengths... look for a simple screw on type coaxial cable connection to purchase. You shouldn't need a Booster for the cable.

Be sure to power "OFF" the RV's booster/Amplifier for over the air antenna. Ours is located behind the Bedroom TV, where the cable attached. If the small RED light is on... that means the Booster/Amplifier power is on. Look for a small switch next to the RED Light. It's been my experience the Booster/Amplifier interferes with the cable signal, preventing or over powering the cable signal getting to the TV.

Here is a Link that may help you some.

http://www.wikihow.com/Connect-Coaxial-Cable-Connectors

Hope this is some help.

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
A lot depends on the length of the run you need to make. You need RG-6 coaxial. You can buy it with the "F" connectors already on it in many different lengths or buy the cable in bulk and add your own connectors. If the run is 100 feet or less you might not even need a booster for cable. If you do need a booster, I recommend the Motorola Signal Booster 4-Port BDA-S4 Cable Modem TV HDTV Amplifier. It has excellent db gain. I have one myself.

patrick1945

Follow-up

I went to the local Comcast office and 1 of the techs told me what to do and provided all the cable (complete with connections) with splitters etc. He advised against boosters (thought I would not need them) and told me to return if there were a problem or needed more stuff.

I hooked the FW up, scanned for stations and it worked like a charm.

Now all we have to do is keep the liveability a secret SO that when kids and grand kids show up - the wife and I leave the house to the kids and we retreat to the BigHorn.

As always, thanks for your input.

pickuphunt

Cable vs Digital Box

If you are interested in only local channels, try the digital conversion box and just using your antenna on the RV. We tried this in Texas this winter for our bedroom TV. It works great. The digital signal sends program information (like satellite programming guide) and the pictures are great. This is good for camping in a campsite that doesn't have cable, but you are within an area that has local signal. Further, when we tried just the analog signal we got poor reception, but dong the digital box we got great reception. WFM (worked for me)