Towing the Big Country

Brenrick

We just purchased our 2009 Big Country 3300RL and have some questions on towing with a Ford F-250, 7.3 engine, shortbed.

We have been told we do not need the slide hitch due to the 88 degree design.

Will we have any trouble towing and turning, sure would like to know if anyone has some info they would like to share...we have always towed a 25 ft TT.:confused:

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I don't have a Ford but have a slider in mine and never have used it. Here is a link with lots of slider info.....Kenny....//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=9008&highlight=slider+hitch

Mariposa

short bed p/u

We, too, have a short bed, an 08 Dodge 4x4 with slider. Towing a Big Horn 3400RL. Only time have use slider is to see if it still works. I do watch the sharp turns, but no problems.
Bob

Brenrick

Thank you...this will be a new experience for us and just want to get some feed back from folks that have been there and done it!

bill40

We had a Pul-Rite auto slider on our short bed chevy for years. Although the new 5er's turn much better and the camp grounds are larger I would still spend the extra money (if possible) for a Pul-Rite. Like most of the post said they never have used their's.
Could not tell you how many times mine worked because it was automatic, but pricey compared to a reg hitch. I guess is what price is peace of mind? Good luck you won't be wrong either way.

Gator

I am a new owner of a Big Country 2950rk and also previously pulled a 25' TT. My dealer installed a Reese manual slider on my Dodge 2500 short bed. While it is probably not necessary, I use the slider in the camp ground when parking and also at home backing down the drive.
Dick

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have the standard Reese hitch and have never had a problem making sharp turns or backing. My vote is no. The design of the Heartland really helps eliminating the need for a slider hitch.

Brenrick

Hello,

New to this stuff...I am making a reservation on-line and they are giving an option of 30 amp or 50 amp full hook up. Does anyone know this off hand for the 2009 Big Country 3300RL?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Get the 50 amp. Your rig will be 50 amp although you can get by on 30 amp you have to watch closely what electrical items you use at the same time on 30 amp. For example, if you run you frig, water heater and ac all at the same time on electric then turn on the microwave, on 30 amp you will probably blow the breaker, 50 amp you will not. On 30 amp you need to run your water heater on propane and your frig on propane to not use too many amps. Save propane and get the 50 amp hookup.

B

bwwalczak

All Big Countrys are 50 amp service with detachable cord.

I tow my Big Country 3250 with my F250 shortbed with no problems. I never use the slider and have not had any need. Also I run mine at home with a 30 amp service. I can run 1 air conditioner and TV with no problems.

GETnBYE

here is a link

When I asked the same question. Here are the responses we got. We didn't get the slider and have had no problems, yet.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=9008

PSF513

We have an F250 with the 6.4 Diesel, 6 foot bed, and 2 wheel drive. We use a B&W Companion (non-sliding) and have had no problems whatever.