Unexplained wire

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
After removing the underbelly in the area of the 2 gray tanks a red and a white wire which were coiled fell out. There is about 4 feet coiled and it is not attached to anything. I called customer service and Gary was helpful but did not know what it might be for. Has anybody else have any ideas. I haven't checked it yet but I am going to check to see if it is 'live'. it is just cut on the ends and not capped off or anything. :confused:

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Jim -

Sounds to me like the 12VDC wires from some tank heaters. If you have those, they are wired for 120VAC and 12VDC both. It seems those particular tanks are connected 120VAC and not 12VDC. Mine are the same way. The only tanks on mine that are 12VDC are the fresh water tanks, all the waste tanks are 120VAC. :)

osims

bsims
Jim
They might have been the old wiring to your brakes that got changed when you went to disc brakes.(just a thought).
Bill

jmgratz

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I don't have tank heaters but it could have been wired for them. I checked and the wires have no voltage (not ac or DC) to them nor is there any resistance in them as they measure zero ohms (open). A good possibility is the old brake wires or just some extra wires that got put there during manufacture. Oh well, I just taped them and tucked them back up there again. Always good to have extra wire stashed away in case you ever need some. LOL

jmgratz

Incidently, while I had the tanks exposed I noticed a white wire was disconnected from one of the tanks. The wire was missing the nut that held it onto the tank. I found the nut in the insulation. Put the wire back on the tank and low and behold my tank sensor that was not working right started working again. I checked the other nuts and they were all loose. I tightened them all up and all of the sensors on those tanks work right now. Amazing how things work right when they are put together properly.

bedroc

A handy tip.

To help stop those nuts from vibrating loose, dab a little finger nail polish on the stud next nut after tightening. Works like loctite except it is easier to remove when needed, just a little solvent(finger nail polish remover) DW is a handy source for that. :D