Towing with a 2500HD

Eyecamp

Hello,

I have been enjoying reading this forum for the last few weeks. Now I have a couple towing questions.

I am looking to up-grade from a 25ft TT. I have been researching fifth wheels and the Bighorn 2925rk and 3055 are on my short list. Seems like a lot of bang for the buck. . I have a GMC 2500hd CC Duramax it weighs about 7400 with me the the family in it. It looks like even the shortest bighorn will put me over the GVWR of 9200. I am wondering what the true pin weight is going to be once it is loaded for travel?

I would also like some feed back on how the truck will do pulling the Bighorn. My only towing has been with lighter (6700lbs) bumper pull TT. The thing I like best about my current set up is the fact that I don’t even know the trailer is there. I can pull up 6 and 7% grades without breaking a sweat. Now, I don’t want to win races with the trailer, but, I want to have power to merge in to traffic on the short up hill freeway on ramps. I live in the Pacific North West and do a lot of traveling in the mountains. Will I be able to maintain 55-60 on the passes? I don’t want to be stuck behind a semi going 20 because I don’t have the power to safely pull into the passing lane and get around in a reasonable amount of time. Like I said I have never towed any thing this heavy and just looking for reassurance. I don’t need to be the first on at the campground, but want to be there before all the beer is gone ;). Thanks for your help, Darren

ChopperBill

I have a GMC 2500HD D/A and have a Bighorn 3055RL on order. We currently have a Snowriver truck camper that probably is in the range of 4000 lbs when loaded. Have been from BC Canada to Key West Florida and every where else between. Do a lot of mountain driving here in Colorado and have NEVER run out of power. You have basically the same truck as a GM 3500 less a spring and E tires. I added E rated tires, air bags, rancho shocks and a Helwig anti sway bar. Never have felt insecure in almost 40,000 miles. I am guessing the Bighorn will be easier to pull than the TC is to haul.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I'll chime in

Hello,
We have a Chevy 2500HD Duramax/Allison 4WD Crew cab short box, Bighorn 3500RL. We tow every weekend from home to a Thousand Trails campground about 20 minutes away. The roads are a bit hilly and quite a few turns. As it goes, this has been the best towing trailer we have owned yet,(this is our fifth trailer in seven years). We also have towed it to Pigeon Forge over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend last year. I was very pleased with the results both mileage wise and towing. I will say that if I were to full time camp, I would probably investigate getting a Chevy Kodiak. Since we do not, that will just be a dream.
According to the Chevy owners manual, the truck can tow up to 14,700 lbs. with a pin weight of 3,000 lbs.

Hope this helps.

jpmorgan37

Look at my signature. We are pretty well loaded and my D/A with the Edge Juice gives me everything I want and more. If I stay around 60 to 62 in OD with the cruise set and in the tow-haul mode, with the Edge set on 2, it seldom downshifts on the hills, and I don't think it has ever dropped more than 5 mph on a grade. I can tow comfortably at 70 mph and do that all day, but then my fuel mileage drops down to around 9 1/2 to 10 so I don't do that too much.

phranc

It's the same engine, trans, coolingsystem,drive train, that chev puts in the 1 ton, may be a difference or two in the springs. that can be solved with the airbags. Do what jpmorgan did , seems like a reasonable setup.. And BTW,there isn't a bigger motor till you get into a MDT.. And ,shhhh, don't tell the weight police over on rvnet