grand total 2,504 lbs
using the 80/20 (axle vs hitch weight)
hitch weight will now be 3,311 lbs
axle weight will now be 15,821 lbs
gvwr 18,00 lbs - 15,821 = 2,179 lbs

to be at 80% of axle weight rating
18,000 lbs - 3,600 lbs = 14,400 lbs

Even without any toys this unit with 1,000 lbs is personal items is 1,421 lbs
over the 80% and only 2,200 lbs from max name plate rating.
I've got to be missing something here if not,
then so much for putting even a feather in a 2,500 lb rated garage.
Ours is coming off the line this week.
Bought a freightliner fld-120 with a detroit 60 with an eight speed to haul it around with.
Truck will be legal with the weight, I'm now concerned the 5ver won't be.
od course the next question heavier axles etc. but that doesn't change the legal max load it can carry.

Jtruck.jpg

Last edited:

kkflstf

Your off a bit, Propane= 60 Lbs. not gal., Ac add 100 lbs., water 123x8.34=1025.82 but all will not be on your pin!

wdk450

Don't Haul

KKFLTS:
Don't haul fresh water unless you just have to. Travel with 1/3 tank or less and fill up at your destination campground (if needed). Drain the tanks to 1/3 before moving again. Just enough for flushing on the road.

cqdx

Your off a bit, Propane= 60 Lbs. not gal., Ac add 100 lbs., water 123x8.34=1025.82 but all will not be on your pin!

To use your numbers would be even closer to the trailer max. In my case pin weight isn't a concern. What i am concerned about is being able to use the garage to its capacity without the trailer being over its ratings. The freightliner i have purchased for this 5ver has 5 captain chairs in it, thus the whole family will ride in it. My concern is that the small dodge car that weighs 2,000 lbs wont be able to ride in the garage even though it will physically fit in there and the garage is rated to handle 2,500 lbs simply because of the gvwr ie the axles... as i was laying all of this out is when it dawned on me that the dry weight alone without any add-ons comes within 300 lbs of the 80% mark. Question, does the 80% not apply to the axles and tires on a trailer that apply to a truck? Time and time again its stated not to load your truck over 80% of its ratings.

Jtruck.jpg

Last edited:

cqdx

I thank the two of you for your replies. I've gone to great lengths to get the right truck, the right floor plan, the right insurance, and am in the process of getting a cdl even though here in Az. it isn't required ( guess Texas and California don't much care what is legal in the state you are registerd and licensed). To have all this go down the tube simply because i took the words 2,500 lb rated garage capacity implied that the trailer would carry the understood 1,000 lb average people carry, the add-ons, water , gas etc that the tanks were designed for.

Jtruck.jpg

Last edited:

crazybanshee

cqdx never heard of the 80% rule. Our pin weight is 4200lbs. Axle weight is 14,500lbs. The axle rating is 15,600lbs. The only way to know is weight the trailer when you get it home.
Doug

irvin56

Go by the gvwr 18,000 lbs

That's what your axles are rated for.
The 80% rule I've heard of it from other forums, rv.net and mytalkrv. But someone, i believe it was a saleman from some truck place.
but it is bogus. no such rule.
Go by your trailer axles. Hitch weight is on truck. To get proper weight. hit the scales with unit and see what back axles tell you. Then you know if your car will be okay.
I would be more concerns as not to exceed gvwr of trailer.

cqdx

That's what your axles are rated for.
The 80% rule I've heard of it from other forums, rv.net and mytalkrv. But someone, i believe it was a saleman from some truck place.
but it is bogus. no such rule.
Go by your trailer axles. Hitch weight is on truck. To get proper weight. hit the scales with unit and see what back axles tell you. Then you know if your car will be okay.
I would be more concerns as not to exceed gvwr of trailer.

The only thing I'm concerned about is the gvwr of the trailer.
dry and without any goodies its only has a capacity to handle of 3,000 lbs + 20% = 3600 lbs. Doesn't seem like much leeway when you start to add everything up. I can't help but think that a trailer that has a weight just shy of 15,000 lbs barebones would would have a higher gvwr.

irvin56

I totally agree with you.

Being a toy hauler, Should have 21,000
my opinion only there may be a weight issue with frame ???
as to why only that gvwr??

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Being a toy hauler, Should have 21,000
my opinion only there may be a weight issue with frame ???
as to why only that gvwr??

I agree. 3x6000lb axles = 18000. I would think, just the axle capacity alone should not = thee GVWR. Leaves nothing for pin weight. When I first got my Cyclone, I had a sticker showing 21000+ GVWR. When I posed the question about this listed rating vs. the axle rating - I got a new sticker showing only 18000 GVWR. It doesn't seem to make sense to me. :confused: Fuzzy Math??

cqdx

Ok, here is what i was told from the dealer\manufacturer rep. The gvrw includes all the weight of majority of the options and the actual dry weight is less than what is published( just shy of 14,000 lbs). I have been assured that I can put 4,000 lbs without running into any problems. The 18,000 lb rating is 100% duty rated. That it can handle 4,000 lbs day in & day out traveling with no adverse affects other than normal wear.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
TO ANSWER THE ORIGINAL QUESTION, "ARE YOU OVER WEIGHT?"
YES, I'M ABOUT 20-25 POUNDS OVERWEIGHT. HOWEVER, I DO LIVE IN SOUTH LOUISIANA AND THAT IS MY EXCUSE. FRIED SHRIMP, BOILED CRAWFISH, JAMBALAYA, CRAWFISH ETOUFEE, FRIED ALLIGATOR, SEAFOOD PLATTERS, FRIED AND RAW OYSTERS, POBOY SANDWICHES, AND THAT IS JUST THIS WEEKS FOOD! I'M SHORT FOR MY WEIGHT, IF I WAS ONLY A LITTLE TALLER I WOULDN'T BE OVERWEIGHT. :):):):):):):):):):):):):):)None

irvin56

great news about your gvwr

It's nice to know that you can haul your car.
and relax the worries you had.

KENNY- I'm also overweight. :eek:
I live in the cold north. I need to eat more to stay WARM :D:D