Cracked aluminum rim???

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Has anyone ever seen a rim crack in this manner???

000_0018.jpg

000_0019.jpg

Sitting outside, relaxing, and this is what I see. This is an OEM rim, 8 bolts, rated for 110psi and G rated tires. Just set down after a 1,400 mile, four day trip. Rim and tires are two years old.

This is a new one on me...can't imagined what caused this. We're not over weight, had each wheel weighed by Weigh It, and we're 1,100 pounds under on the axles and fairly even on each tire.

Any ideas? :(

kakampers

It's not! That crack is COMPLETELY thru the spoke....thank god we have a spare until we find out what we can do. I really think this is a defect...we did not hit anything, no indication of any kind of "collision" on the tire or rim....nothing.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Boy that is a real PITA.. Sorry to hear that. I hope it is not catching.
Seems like this spring a lot of things are breaking. It is about time to start traveling and we don't need this. Had enough health problems... Got them solved.

Kathy, keep us informed. Would like to know the solution.
BC

jnbhobe

Ken & Kathy; Thats a real odd one, I've broken wheels before but its always been from over weight. Like pushing a spoke thru the wheel. I would think the factory would like to see that wheel no matter what!! Surely looks like a defect to me. Good luck with it, see you in Goshen. JON:confused::confused::confused:

Niles

That is an odd one for sure. I run alum wheels on just about everything and have yet to see one do that, some people are just lucky:eek:, good luck in this one. By the way we have 46 alum wheels on the ground not counting cars. And I can say they carry a lot more weight than what these trailers do.

RVCamper

Submit this to NHTSA

Personally, I would submit pictures, and a report the NHTSA, Office of Defects Investigation (ODI), an office within the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). ODI conducts defect investigations and administers safety recalls to support the NHTSA's mission to improve safety on our Nation's roadways. I would keep the rim, so it can be examined.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

I don't think enough reporting is going on, that is why we are not getting action on the tires either. I think we need to help ourselves, and others by trying to prevent, and recall the defective parts, before someone gets injured from these.

.02 :) (stepping off the soap box)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
china forging? Or are rims milled out of a billet? Not following process specs,manufacturing specs.

My experience with aluminum wheels are that they are milled from a casting. And that looks like a casting defect. The marks on the spoke below the crack, what caused them? Are they just dirt smears or is there some kind of impact damage there? Are all of the lugs nuts torqued properly and equally? Those questions and more may be asked as part of the analysis, and a failure analysis by a competent laboratory is definitely called for.

kakampers

Update!!!

Tredit Tire and Wheel Company has accepted full responsiblity for this situation after looking at the pictures. They agree it is a defect and will be sending the rim out for analysis of the alloy, etc.

In addition, they are expediting us a new rim and paying for all cost, including shipping, mounting and balancing of tire on new rim...can't ask for more than that!!:D:D

JohnDar...the only thing on the spoke, or the wheel for that matter, is dirt. There is a smudge accross the crack where I ran my finger over it to see what it was...there is absolutely no damage to the rim or the tire.

Niles

Every once in awhile strange stuff happens, and I think that's probably the case here. Too many wheels out there with no problems. Glad their taking care of it.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Tredit Tire and Wheel Company has accepted full responsiblity for this situation after looking at the pictures. They agree it is a defect and will be sending the rim out for analysis of the alloy, etc.

Kathy
How did you know who to go to for replacement of the rim. I have only had my tires/rims off a couple of time at Discount Tire shops and haven't looked at the back side very much. Did Heartland give you the mfgr of the rim or someone else?

Hope everything works out.

BC

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!

In addition, they are expediting us a new rim and paying for all cost, including shipping, mounting and balancing of tire on new rim...can't ask for more than that!!:D:D

Good to hear something like that these days!

JohnDar

With all the posts about vendors and/or dealers doing the "Soupy Shuffle" when notified of a problem, that is good to know. Especially since my wheels look like yours (sans crack) :eek:. And yes, I used to come home to lunch with Soupy Sales, for those of you familiar with late '50's television in the Detroit area.

Delaine and Lindy

Ken we had a Cambridge 358 and another owner had the same and he sent a e-mail telling me after 10,000 miles or so the Tredit Aluminum wheel we had would crack and other have had the same problem with the same 5er. And for sure it happened in route to the RGV. We were in Houston and went to Katy Camping World and they had a replacement and we had it replaced at no cost. We continued on and in Corpus Chirsty Tx the Pressure Pro went off again. Your right another crack in the Aluminum wheel. We went on to the RGV and after arrival I ordered a set of Alcoa Aluminum wheels from South West Wheel in Dallas Tx and had them drop shipped to the Green Gate in Mission. Our Cambridge was out of warranty, however Keystone stepped up to the plated and sent me a Check for the entire amount for replacing the wheels and mounting and balance. And also payed to have them shipped back to Goshen. You wouldn't believe the difference in the Aluminum wheel, the Aloca's were much better built. The Tredit wheels we had were manufactored in China and the replacements were made in Argentina. They were also rated for the Goodyear G614's 110 lbs air pressure etc. Were your wheel was cracked could have been a serious problem if it had broken off completely. Good Luck with the replacement. GBY...

P.S. Ken we will be in Goshen in June for the Drv rally and will stay over a few days and we will drop by just to say hi. With that big Chevy 4500 you want be hard to find.

JohnDar

That be the one :D. Pokie, White Fang and Black Tooth. Several years ago he was reminising about the show. If you recall, someone always knocked at the door and he either got a pie or some gag. Once, they had a nude model at the door (off camera, of course) and he stood there speechless.

kakampers

Txbobcat...there is a sticker inside the closet just inside the front door, it gives you the name and number of most of the component suppliers. We called them, sent them pictures and they said "yep, that's our rim, and we'll take care of it"

Delaine and Lindy...Well I guess we've done OK then, I'd venture to say we have at least 30,000 miles on these rims...I hope Tredit is right and it's a "rare occurance"...otherwise we'll be replacing all the rims too!! We'll be arriving on the 8th in Goshen and we're in site 444...come on down!!:D

Johndar...be very, VERY glad your rims is "sans" the crack...it ain't pretty!:eek: