12v Outlet Receptacle

djg57

My Heartland 3100RL 5th wheel does not have a 12volt outlet receptacle. I've seen them for sale at Camping world for less than five dollars. Any thoughts on installation. Will any of the nearby wires from a battery opperated light source work as a junction?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The receptacles available at CW or even your dealer will work but depending on your intended use, you may want to run it with a separate circuit from the battery. The wires associated with the lighting are smaller gage and shouldn't be used for much more than they're already fused for. Are you sure there isn't a receptacle near the TV area? There should also be one in the bedroom TV cabinet.

lhetsler

12 V recepticle

I ran some in my Bighorn3670. I used #6 stranded wire (avail at Home Depot or Lowes) and ran it from the fuse box. If you use automotive wiring it will be too light for heavier use. For me I use a CPAP machine and the voltage drop was too great with light wire. There are plenty of empty fuse slots. If you do run directly from the battery, be sure to use an inline fuse. If you are only using a TV, the lighter wire may be okay.

djg57

follow up

I looked everywhere for a receptacle, especially the tv area and bedroom tv spot. Still did not find it. My main use would be to charge a cell phone when I'm not plugged in to AC power.

lhetsler

12 Volt Receptical

MY 2008 Bighorn 3670 did not have any either, even though the manual said it did. Easy to add though.

wdk450

12 volt outlet

I don't know if this will help, but I believe I have a 12 volt outlet in the storage compartment.

wdk450

12 volt outlet

DJG57:
I forgot to verify this as I worked on the BH3670RL today, but I remember it being on the door side, rear of the compartment, near the vacuum cleaner. Also a 110 VAC outlet there.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have one in the UDC, one in the basement by the vac, one by on the entertainment slide and one in the bedroom. But again I have a 'classic' and I know they have cut out some of them. Is it possible you should have one there (meaning the wire is in the wall already) but they forgot to cut the hole. I would check with Customer Service and see if it should be there. If so the wire might already be run.

djg57

Thanks to each of you for your posts. I haven't resolved it yet, but you've given me good ideas. And as jmgratz mentioned, I should call customer service and see what their answer is...especially since the owners manual mentions it being there, as lhetsler said. Thanks. djg57

sealman

djg57,
We also have a 3100RL, and there is a 12v outlet in the basement on the wall next to the vac, I had one installed on the front wall also for refer/freezer. There is also one on the underside of the cabinet above and to the right of the stove.
Good luck,
John