Cheap upholstery

hazdude0861

We are full timers and we purchased a 2009 Bighorn 3670RL on August 23, 2008.
Right after we moved into the unit we started having problems with the upholstery on the two recliners and the couch. The fabric and workmanship is of such low quality that seams started ripping apart because they did not leave enough material and had to sew right next to the edges, the quality of the material is such that the thread pulled out of the edges, allowing the seams to come apart. We are going to have to take the couch and the chairs and have them recovered, which I feel that you should reimburse us for. It is not that it has been treated rough, with just two retired adults and two small dogs living here.
Overall we have been happy with this unit, of course we have had some minor problems as you will with any new unit. I have to agree with some of the posts that I have read about the hodge podge of wiring and hoses behind the very nicely carpeted partitions in the basement-- this shows a lack of pride in workmanship.

jimtoo

Hi hazdude0861

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. I think you will meet lots of nice people here and get lots of information for the forum.

I would suggest that Monday you contact your dealer or call Heartland Customer service 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030, to discuss your problem.

Jim M

jbeletti

...Right after we moved into the unit we started having problems with the upholstery on the two recliners and the couch...

"If" you are out of warranty, please contact Flair Interiors to discuss the quality issue. 574-534-2163.
...I have to agree with some of the posts that I have read about the hodge podge of wiring and hoses behind the very nicely carpeted partitions in the basement-- this shows a lack of pride in workmanship.

The reality of this is that it shows less a "lack of pride" and more the "speed of the production line".

Jim

joonbug

The upholstry

Greetings !!

We are the proud owners of a 2009 3670RL. We love our trailer but we dont love the furniture. First week the foot rest handle broke in my weak hand. I thought ..HEY I am stronger than I think !! well then I noticed that the back side had a rip in it.... so I inspected the other chair, and the couch, you know us women LOL.... and sure enough, there were tear along the side of chair, and the couch pillow backs were stressed and had one small hole. As we have sat down, and leaned back, we can actually hear the fabrik POP. just wasn't enough material for the seam. I took pictures. Also, the over the stove fan went out the day we got it home, then a few days later the convection/microwave. Odered from our dealer. Didnt get any thing until January. MY KITCHEN MY KITCHEN !! that is now alll fixed up, But don't know where to go about the furniture. any idea's?
Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Sincerely, Joonbug Kim

talley

"If" you are out of warranty, please contact Flair Interiors to discuss the quality issue. 574-534-2163.

The reality of this is that it shows less a "lack of pride" and more the "speed of the production line".

Jim

Perhaps the true "reality" is the denial by management that quality will suffer as quanity increases. IF it is true that the "speed of the production line" is negatively affecting quality control, and management is aware and accepts this "reality".... shame, shame, shame. :eek: Management is in place to establish standards (quality control). to help employees achieve those standards. And as we consumers are led to believe Heartland values quality and high standards in their products. THAT was one of the factors I weighed when selecting my Bighorn... !!!:) Just what is Heartlands stance on quality vs production?? Keep in mind I still enjoy my Bighorn, notwithstanding problems.

jbeletti

...But don't know where to go about the furniture. any idea's?...

Yes - if you are in warranty, please contact Heartland Customer Service (877-262-8032). If you are out of warranty, please contact Flair Interiors (574-534-2163) to discuss the quality issue.

Jim

Tankie

We picked up our 3670RL on 7/11/08 and have had no problems w/upholstery. Our pillows and bed spread lasted about 3 mo. just replaced them. Is it just the 3670 that is have upholstery problems? It kind of sounds like the furniture man. had a bad run. We love our BH very comfy to live in, we have had a few minor issues. Only major one was the fridge had to have it replaced (cooling unit cracked I think it was those smooth roads in CA going over the Sierra's) and microwave/convection is a little iffy. But over all we are very happy with our purchase of our BH and would not hesitate to do it again. Please keep us posted on the uphostery issue and good luck. Tankie

geeksrus

Jim

Are you saying that product quality suffers because the production line is moving too quickly?

If so, that is pathetic!!!!.... Heartland's management sure could learn a lot from the Japanese automakers.

Eh!

jbeletti

My comment about the speed of the line was with respect to the wiring and plumbing comment and not about Flair.

The sprawl of wiring and plumbing, while messy looking, is not an indicator of problems with those systems. Sure, some experience trouble. But the vast majority does not. I am in no position to further debate this matter as I am not close enough to production.

boatdoc

Perhaps the true "reality" is the denial by management that quality will suffer as quanity increases. IF it is true that the "speed of the production line" is negatively affecting quality control, and management is aware and accepts this "reality".... shame, shame, shame. :eek: Management is in place to establish standards (quality control). to help employees achieve those standards. And as we consumers are led to believe Heartland values quality and high standards in their products. THAT was one of the factors I weighed when selecting my Bighorn... !!!:) Just what is Heartlands stance on quality vs production?? Keep in mind I still enjoy my Bighorn, notwithstanding problems.

In MY mind, if all the systems work than all is good. I know for a fact that to make the area behind the wall "look" like quality it would take 10Xs the amount of man hours. Every wire 90'd and every water line nice and tidy.
Check with some of the guys on here who have tidy'd up there behind the scenes areas and I'll bet they came up with some major hours. I thought about it also but what the heck, it all works and no one but me see's it if I take the wall down and at $80.00 an hour for MY shop time I think I'd pass on it "looking like quality".
We all chiseled and pried to get these rigs for what we bought them for, so how would you like to have a higher starting price point because some one had to take many, many hours to make it look like "quality".

grizzlygiant

In MY mind, if all the systems work than all is good. Right on!..........We all chiseled and pried to get these rigs for what we bought them for, so how would you like to have a higher starting price point because some one had to take many, many hours to make it look like "quality".

Right on! I like things "behind the dash" to be as neat as the visible stuff but it does take TIME (=$). Just for my own satisfation I am re-doing the rats' nest to my own specifications. I hope it will work as well as the Heartland OEM.

talley

Jim, I am even further removed from the production line, and like many establish my image from other’s descriptions. I see my error… I thought the comment about speed was referencing upholstery. Of course, any quality issues in this instance would be on Flair Interiors and not related to Heartland’s production lines.
I agree with boatdoc about the wiring and hoses, as well as costs issues. If we consider the space and amount of utility terminating or originating in this area the clutter is not that bad. I have been into that area several times installing Progressive EMS, protective tent over converter, cables, etc. The wiring configurations (bundles or not) have not caused any problems. While neat housekeeping would look nice, as long as everything works and is safe all is good. For those of us who like the DIY approach it can provide another area where we are able to establish our own pride of workmanship.

Thanks, Jerry

jpmorgan37

We had an opportunity to tour Flair Industries at the 2007 Heartland Rally and I hope that we have the opportunity to do it again this year. I was totally impressed with the assembly and construction of the products that they were building and their commitment to quality. Follow Jim Beletti's suggestion and contact them if you have a quality problem and aren't covered by the Heartland warranty. Just my thoughts.

John