actual length of the 3055RL

soos

hi,
My husband and I are seriously considering the 3055RL, but one of my biggest concerns is its size. For what we are looking for, it may be a little big ( I know that compared to othersit isn't, ut to us it is). I believe the official length is 34'4", and we seriously want to stay under 35'. I have heard from people that the length is actually understated and its longer than 35'? Does anyone know for sure? I would imagine most people have no need to actually measure these things! The other models we are looking at are a couple of feet shorter but don't have the desk - something I would love to have, but I am not sure its worth the added length.
Also, to anyone who has one...have you had any issues fitting in spots that say they can accommodate only up to 35'?
any info would be appreciated!

thanks!
Sue

vangoes

Hi Sue,
My storage lot did an ingenious thing (ha) and decided they would start billing by the foot. Supposedly they measured tip to stern (ie, from the tip of the king pin to the ladder on the rear) and they billed me for 36 ft. So if you subtract the 6 - 8 inches for the ladder and the 10 -12 inches for the king pin then the 34 ft is certainly in the ball park. When it all comes down to size, a couple of feet when towing or parking really just does not make that much difference so if the stated length of the 3055 is within your parameters then go for it. Remember, a 34 ft. 5ver has a lot less length on the road than a 34 ft. TT. Just my 2 pennies worth!

Peteandsharon

Sue,

We own the 3055 and I actually asked this very question on the forum with no real answer. The problem is that no one really knows what that measurement is supposed to represent. If you measure the interior from the back of the bedroom closet to the rear picture window it measures about 34 feet. If you measure from the kingpin hitch to the very back of the unit I believe it was about 35.5 feet. I've heard some people refer to it as a 30 foot trailer because of the model number although I can't come up with anything that measures 30 feet in this unit. I simply asked the question because we keep getting asked how big our unit is and as a way to compare it against non-Heartland rigs. Just take your pick on the numbers and be happy. I have not had any issues fitting it in anywhere.

Chuck Richard

I can't remember what we measured our 3055 at but believe it was over 35' from front cap to back cap or ladder. You talk about parks and one thing I had missed was when camping in state parks the advertised length of the site at least in Oregon is total and not just for the trailer. I have an extended cab long bed PU and I measure 50' from the front of the truck to the back of the trailer. In some sites you can just back the wheels to the end of the driveway but in many cases they have a curb type stop and the spare tire will hit. I agree with the others and a few feet in pulling are not a big deal but if you are doing weekend type camping remember to add the TV to the length when selecting a site.

Jim & Harriet

5th wheel length

interesting question - difficult to find a real answer. when we were shopping we finally just brought a long tape measure and did our own calculating. we never found the "real" length in any of the brochures or even in the dealer information.
for many reasons we wanted to stay in the 34-35ft size. that eliminated just about all of the heartland's other than the sundance. we finally bought a 34 ft - 2009 sundance 3300sk - we love it. if you are over 6 ft tall - it's not for you. the mid-profile in the bedroom would be too low. we wanted a separate/side bath - got it. lots of kitchen counter area - got that too. also - fireplace, electric rear jacks and awning - came with ours - love them. the sundance price tag is lower - but the quality is every bit as good as the bh and bc models.
good luck with your selection.:)

soos

thanks for the answers..... I was mostly concerned with 2 things...."creep": where you plan on buying a 30footer and end up with a 40footer, and also fitting in spots that are limited to 35 ft.....
thanks!

Sue

TXBobcat

Fulltime
What you need to do is buy a trailer compressor.
Leave it extended when you are traveling and when you get to a campground just pull over and compress it down and slip right into a 30ft site.

I have been using one for years.. I also have a sky hook if someone is needing one.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
We have the skyhooks in stock in steel and stainless if anybody needs any.

3 ft - steel $39.99
4 ft - steel $49.99
5 ft - steel $55.99
6 ft - steel $65.99
add about $10.00 each for stainless.
Also have the metric crescent wrenches now chrome plated too.
Prices vary on those from 6" to 24".

dewwood

Kenny,

Do you also carry the crescent wrenches in SAE? Also I have been looking for a metric flat bladed screwdriver, do you carry these?

Dewey

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
Kenny,

Do you also carry the crescent wrenches in SAE? Also I have been looking for a metric flat bladed screwdriver, do you carry these?

Dewey

I love it... You guys here are nutz too just like my family over at the Northtrailers forum!

Sue,
To avoid any further digression, the OUTSIDE length is 35 feet 6 inches on my 2008 Model 3055RL. That's measured with a tape from the front of the king pin box to the rear wall. The ladder adds on another 6-8 inches. I believe the published measurement is inside dimensions, and not much of a help if you're worried about getting into a certain size camp spot.

As far as pulling the additional length, I've never noticed any problems. I pulled a 30 foot 5th wheel before, handling and maneuvering have never been an issue. That is if the place your trying to get into is big enough. I usually can get the trailer started into a back-in spot OK, it's the truck that needs the room to maneuver.

Happy camping,
Jim

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Hum, a chrome adjustable metric wrench. Now that is something I need. Does it come in different metric sizes?? Now a really quick and easy way to make the coach shrink that I have found.
1. Seal all the windows and door shut
2. Turn on the central vac
3. Have a beer break for 30 minutes
4. Voila, the coach should be about 2-3 feet shorter and about the
same in width
5. Some caution should be taken as to how long you wait with vacumn cleaner running. There have been cases where the coach was sucked down to a point that you could put 2 stamps on it and mail it to the CG site.
6. sorry too much coffee this morning :eek:

CrazyScotsman

Hum, a chrome adjustable metric wrench. Now that is something I need. Does it come in different metric sizes?? Now a really quick and easy way to make the coach shrink that I have found.
1. Seal all the windows and door shut
2. Turn on the central vac
3. Have a beer break for 30 minutes
4. Voila, the coach should be about 2-3 feet shorter and about the
same in width
5. Some caution should be taken as to how long you wait with vacumn cleaner running. There have been cases where the coach was sucked down to a point that you could put 2 stamps on it and mail it to the CG site.
6. sorry too much coffee this morning :eek:

Bob. I knew I was doing something wrong, and all this time I was thinking about chopping DW precious tree down.:D

fishinrvr

We have a 2009 3055. I have pulled the tape out and measured it…with the rear latter it’s about 36’. Without the ladder you are right at 35’. Size was definitely a concern because we use ours in some pretty tight areas. I have found (if needed) we could park ours in most 30’ spots. The back end may hang off the rear of the concrete pad, but it will fit. We have not had any issues with this being too large and I can’t imagine having a smaller unit. That storage fills up quickly, plus the more comfortable you are the more you are going to want to use it. The 3055 is the best floor plan you will find for this size of an RV.

NWlambear

Info good to know...thanks!

The actual length of a 5th wheel has been driving my husband and I crazy. We quickly found out you can't go by the model (or whatever its called i.e. 3055RL). Then we or now going round and round about weight! So we are still researching. Today I actually linked to the Heartland site and have seen a lot of features I like. ~Tricia (aka NWlambear):) Happy RVing from soon to be semi-fulltimers

Hi Sue,
My storage lot did an ingenious thing (ha) and decided they would start billing by the foot. Supposedly they measured tip to stern (ie, from the tip of the king pin to the ladder on the rear) and they billed me for 36 ft. So if you subtract the 6 - 8 inches for the ladder and the 10 -12 inches for the king pin then the 34 ft is certainly in the ball park. When it all comes down to size, a couple of feet when towing or parking really just does not make that much difference so if the stated length of the 3055 is within your parameters then go for it. Remember, a 34 ft. 5ver has a lot less length on the road than a 34 ft. TT. Just my 2 pennies worth![/quote]

Jim & Harriet

measurement

it is crazy to think that there is a need for a thread about the "actual length" of campers.
why is the "nose to tail" measurement not part of the factory information? even when the ladder is an option, the lenght information should be standard, accurate and easily available.
and it really would be helpful for the model number to reflect the actual length.