Fulltime with a Big Horn

Mel

I am thinking of going fulltime with my new Big Horn. Just wondering if Big Horn is a good fulltime rig.
Are there a lot of Big Horn owners already fulltime ?
I have a 3410RE, with no dual pain windows.

Thanks for any information
Mel

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
There are many of us full timing in Bighorns. Not having dual pane windows shouldn't stop you. Full timing is mostly about being where it's warm most of the time and trave,ing theis great country. The dual panes do help with noise and temperature control but I wouldn't let it be a reason to not take the plunge.

Tom of Ypsi

Mel,

There are several BH owners that full time. Heartland does not build a coach rated for full time but have never heard of warranty problems because of this. We started out full timing with no dual pane windows but had them installed last year. The windows do make a difference but if cost is a factor they are not really necessary just a convenience

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The other issue of dual pane windows is they weigh more, so if weight is an issue...well....

RVerFulltime

Fulltiming Since 2004
Our Keystone Everest, we traded in for the BIGHORN, had a 10" Frame, 6K axles, and E Rated tires. Our new BIGHORN has 12" Frame, 7K axles, and G Rated tires. After owning both, I would highly recommend a fulltimer going with the heavier Frame, axles, and tires.:)

Tankie

We have been fulltiming in our 3670RL since we got in 7/08 and it works great plenty of room. We do have dual pane windows, I wanted them for the noise factor as well as temp.control. I am still working and travel from job to job and don't always get to go where its warm for the winter. Spent last winter in very cold eastern WA. and had a few minor issues but made out just fine, so I think you will be fine.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hay Mel
We have been fulltiming in our Bighorn 3400RE. We do not have dual pane windows. One of the things I have heard about single pane windows is that you get a lot of moisture on the windows and it drains down on the interior. We have not experienced this at this time. We do use two A/C's and we run the bedroom A/C at night to keep the temp cool and to provide a white noise to block out all the things others have problems with.

I believe there are some that are fultiming in a Sundance. Have at it.. if fulltiming is in your future.
BC

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We too fulltime in an 08' Bighorn, and have done so since 07/07...so it's almost two years now...and we love it.

Although we do have dual panes, and wouldn't think they are a necessity, and as others stated, they do add a good bit of weight. We like them mainly for the noise reduction, as we tend to follow the warmer weather.

We have been surprised at how well the components, i.e, appliances, cabinetry, hinges, etc. in this unit have held up under everyday use. We've had to fix and re-enforce a drawer bottom or two, but that's about it. We have had some issues that the factory took care of but the problems did NOT stem from fulltiming in the unit...and there was no issue having the problems repaired.

We love this unit so much, we're having some major upgrades done in early June before the Goshen rally, and will "unveil" them at the rally....:D

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
What is the difference in any Heartland brand ( I want an Eagle Ridge) versus a so-called "full-time" rig? I thought that was what a 5ver or class A was for????????

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We too have been full timing in a Bighorn. When I retired last November, we had a 3055RL but traded for a 3370RL in January. Love the side-aisle bath. No dual pane windows either. I'm told that single pane windows allow outside noises in more but since we never had them on our stick house we don't know the difference.

jcd8822

Joseph
We have been full timing in our 2006 Bighorn 3500RL since October 2005 and it has been great. We do not have dual pane windows. It has not made any difference. We did add pull down awnings to the windows by the dinning room and living room areas. Afternoon sun coming in from the west in Texas can be a killer. We also added the extra air in the bedroom. It comes in handy on days when the heat is way up there.

Joseph

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
So whats this talk regarding "an official" full time RV? How could an RV company void a warranty becuase you used (Full-timing) their product...?

Is there such a thing? C'mon people humor this rookie......None

I have not seen a thing regarding this and with my budget/current TV I have plans currently to full time with an Eagle Ridge 34QSRL unless I come into some unknown money then I'm shooting for the Landmarks series!

TRAVELER07

Founding New Mexico Chapter Leader
Mel We are full timing in a Sundance,without any dual pane windows and have had no prob without themwindows did add a bedroom air cond for hot humid nights TRAVELER07

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
So whats this talk regarding "an official" full time RV? How could an RV company void a warranty becuase you used (Full-timing) their product...?

Is there such a thing? C'mon people humor this rookie......None

I have not seen a thing regarding this and with my budget/current TV I have plans currently to full time with an Eagle Ridge 34QSRL unless I come into some unknown money then I'm shooting for the Landmarks series!

BUMP! This just came up on a Duramax forum. A forum member said: "Heartland has a statement in their warranty that they will not cover damages due to full-time usage." "They do not make an RV recommended or warranted for full timers."

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
It boils down to this...very few manufacturers make a unit they warrant for fulltime use. Those that do are VERY expensive.

Most manufacturers make Recreation Vehicles (RVs). As the name suggests they are made with part time or recreational use in mind. Many of the components are not household quality, and are not expected to hold up to daily, constant use. The warranty statement that these manufacturers have, voiding the warranty for fulltime use, in most cases, is meant to protect THEM against excessive claims against that warranty because someone "abused" the unit.

That said, I've never met anyone who has had warranty claims denied because they fulltimed in their units. Us Included. The manufacturer knows, beyond a shadow of a doubt we fulltime, and they honored our warranty from day one...no question.

Stop worrying and use your unit as you like, but make sure you have realistic expectations about what the manufacturer should cover and what they should not. When you fulltime, taking it back and forth to a dealer for every little thing is "unrealistic". You need to be able to deal with small things on your own...this is where the "realistic" part comes into play. Good luck!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Like Kathy.. We have been fulltime since 10/08/07. The equipment in an RV does not have the same warranty as those in a Stix & Bricks. The A/C in my Bighorn is not built to run fulltime all day long every day. However the majority of the parts on an RV do hold up quite some time. When you purchase an RV you will have to expect to make changes and upgrades to improve the viability of the RV. I purchased new tires, different pin box, installing independent suspension, disk brakes and such thing to give it a better longevity. And to make things easier to use, such as we may install a different set of entry steps. We also do this to our Tow Vehicle.

If you have a very large amount of money to invest into an RV you can purchase an RV that is built to live in fulltime.. However you are going to have problems with that RV as well as we do.. None are built perfect.

Rent one and see what you want in an RV. You really won't know until you get into fulltiming. Find the one that is best for you then purchase it.. However like many of us you probably purchase one based on cash. Then you will purchase another on usage and upgrade it as you go along.

FWIW
BC

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
Thank you all

That is all I was hoping to see. I am a "jack of all trades" and would prefer to repair something minor and make it a "forever" fix than haul it back to a dealer. (That is downtime and I do not want downtime!!!)

We are RVers already but only week-long or weekend warriors at the moment. You never know unless you ask and I was brought up to understand that the only stupid question is the one that is not asked!

I can surely understand the RV rated products and what we can and cannot expect of them. You guys have been very helpful in assisting me in what to look for in a fairly fast fashion however at what to upgrade quickly. That is appreciated!

Currently of course it is money driving our selection not just from a 5ver perspective but from a TV one as well. To move up to the luxury level (beyond Eagle Ridge) I would additionally need to upgrade my brand new 2500HD to a 4500 or 5500 and that is Per the DW: NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!!"

However as things unfold (We are not rushing into anything for the time-being) we are curently very happy campers in our NT 28RLS until we retire and opportunities may arise to change that situation.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Ron
Your 2500HD should be able to handle any 5th wheel that has a GVRW of about 15k.
My F250 is rated at 15,500 and I am pulling a Bighorn 3400RE. You could pull a 3055 which is a popular model for a lot of Bighorn owners. And yes price is also a issue, but look around, there could be a used Bighorn or Big Country that someone is selling.

Good luck..
BC