Petit Jean State Park

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
I just returned home from one of the best camp grounds that I have ever visited. It is Petit Jean State Park near Morrillton in central Arkansas. It was so well kept that I really had to look hard to find wood to start a fire. There are lots of hiking trails, water falls and caves to see. There is an auto museum and places to eat out inside the park. The section that we stayed in had pull thrus, sewer and very large lots near the lake. This park has several overlooks that have spectacular views. I saw a Big Country but no one was home so I left a club card. They take reservations and the rates were $27.50 + tax. I will return as it is only 4 hrs from home.

jpmorgan37

Bobby & Linda;

I have to agree with you. I use the picture of our Landmark on the site there as my screen saver and also as my profile picture here on the forum. I definitely remember the climb to get to the park on all three roads to get there. What a great place. We are in one now that is also a beautiful park. Three Island Crossing State Park in Glenns Ferry, ID.

John

Cheryl

Here's are some pictures of the camp site we were in.

Attachments

• DSC00718.jpg
    DSC00718.jpg
    802 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC00717.jpg
    DSC00717.jpg
    803.1 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC00719.jpg
    DSC00719.jpg
    782.4 KB · Views: 46

caokgafamily

Looks like Georgia to me, all kidding aside we lived in Oklahoma and always visited Arkansas, only tent camping those days.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I was born and raised in Arkansas and we often visited Petit Jean when I was young (man, that was a long time ago). It was a terrific place evn back then. I'll have to definitely try to get back there with the camper!

By the way, back when I was young (a couple of years ago) you got there by crossing the Arkansas River on the Toad Suck Ferry - NO KIDDING:D!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Toad Suck Ferry is the area of a Great COE park.. Maumelle (COE-Toad Suck Ferry)
9009 Pinnacle Valley Rd, Little Rock AR 72212 We are going to be there on May 13 - 14...

We are at Clear Springs Recreational Area (COE-Wright Patman Lake) in Texarkana TX. This is a nice park also.. Due to all the rain, the "A" sites are under water. We are in B11 and it is nice..

talley

Spent a week at COE park at Toad Suck in January 2007. Nice well kept park. Walmart only about 3-4 miles away. Half price with National Park Senior Pass (at that time think it was $10):). Of course the Toad Suck Ferry is no more.

BTW...what is memorable about the road or climb to Petit Jean State Park?!

Last edited:

jpmorgan37

Talley;

One thing I remember is that I was able to "almost" check my trailer tail lights on some of the corners. Also, some of the younger set used the road as their private "grand prix" course. It wasn't bad, I just remember the roads and smile.

John

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
John, I saw a fiver pulling a boat behind. I believe he probably could see the tail lights on the boat trailer going through the u-turn that I think you refering to.

jpmorgan37

Bobby;

I hear that. You are spot on, but today, I was on a 10% grade both ways, up and down out of Victor, ID over to Jackson, WY. Thank goodness I have a Ford. :D:D:D And the Grand Teton National Forest is nothing short of spectacular.

Jim/rsvl/AR

While you are camped at Petit Jean State park travel off the west end of the mountain and continue to Dardanelle and take a trip up to Mt. Nebo State park and you will find even sharper curves. (Max. trailer length allowed is 24')

Jim/rsvl/AR

John & Sue
You are so correct about the 10% grade between Victor, ID & Jackson, WY. We made the drive over to Jackson and back today and the drive and scenery is very "spectacular". There were snow flurries at Teton Pass. We are camped at Aspen Acres RV & Golf near Aston, ID.
Jim & Norma