30 amp fuse keeps blowing

The front leg jacks keep blowing my 30 amp in line fuse. When I retract the legs all the way up it will blow the fuse. Any suggestions will be helpfull? Also, I was not connected to my truck. I think it might be a ground wire somewhere, but not sure. Thanks

loafer

mine does that as well so intersted in this blog . I have blown probably 6 fuses in 2 times being out (its a new trailer ) I was told I am trying to bring the legs up too high and it blows cant see why that matters as you would think there would be a normal level to bring up with out blowin fuses.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
michiganDSL, you said , "when I retract the legs all the way up it will blow the fuse." One thing you need to watch is that the pin for the landing gear does not hit the frame. Doing so will create one of these situations. Broken or bent pins, striped gears or a blown fuse. The fuse is in line to protect the wire. Something is overloading your motor. I highly doubt that the problem is a ground wire.
Peace
Dave

Forrest Fetherolf

Landing gear pulling to many amps will cause the fuse to blow. Usually extending the landing gear puts more load on the motor and the fuse will blow. If the fuse blows retracting the gear then my bet is you are retracting the gear against the leg extender pull pins or hitting the limit of jack travel. This seems to occur with the newer rv's that have the drop front frame. Watch the pull pins and don't allow them to hit the frame or get off the switch before the gear reaches its retract limit.

Forrest

fjspinelli

Common Sense Jake
Search the forum for the threads regarding the front jack motors. Lippert has an issue with the improper gearing or motor having been installed. Heartland replaced ours and we have not had a problem since.

RTSTRT

Our New 3300SK did the same, I put a big mark on the leg about an 1" before the stop point. That seemed to work .

zztop

I have the same problem with our 09 2900RK. I just bought a big box of fuses. This should not be happening it is a bad design.

Chuck Richard

I was told by the factory that makes the gearboxes that there is a clutch in the motor that should stop the torgue when the legs hit the end of their travel. Because mine has a Chinese moter and not the one they used he suspects the clutch it set too high. I did not blow fuses but did break the gearbox. I agree with making a mark or just watching and never retract all the way. I have not had any problem since doing this. I also found in the owners manual in one section it says to bring the legs all the way up but in another it says not to. I think you have been lucky to only blow fuses and not break the gearbox so far.

Good Luck

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
The front leg jacks keep blowing my 30 amp in line fuse. When I retract the legs all the way up it will blow the fuse. Any suggestions will be helpfull? Also, I was not connected to my truck. I think it might be a ground wire somewhere, but not sure. Thanks

"Domar" makes your landing gear on the Sundance. http://www.domarproducts.com/gearset.html?gclid=CO2_7Pbot5oCFRJ4xgodw2xzdA

I suggest you paint a line on your landing gear square tube leg @ 1/2" before it retracts 100% up. Paint another line @1/2" before its 100% entended, operate between those lines and you should be fine. I have found out the key to not blowing the fuse is too lay off the "extend- retract switch" early.

charris57

Why would you have to retract your front stabilizer legs all the way up.I would hope that you would never hit a dip in the road deep enough to hit those legs even if they were 1/2 way up. That should be plenty of ground clearance once connected to your tow vehicle. And as a added safety should you drop your trailer it would probably lessen the the body damage to the camper if a partially extended leg hits the ground first vs the body of the camper. I have a 4x4 truck and once connected to my truck and I raise my landing gear up they are at least 12-16" off the ground and only 1/2 way up....Good Luck.....Steve

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Go find some "time delay fuses" for your inline fuse holder. When these over heat, they shut down, cool off then come back on.

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
My .02:

Have dealer re-create this defect and repair or replace.
or
Mark a spot (as stated before) at both ends of the legs to let-off the switch before hyper extension or retraction. (I had to do this with an electric tongue jack on a TT)

I carry a "boatload" of extra fuses of all sizes used in the unit anyway! What a way to ruin a day over something so simple and inexpensive!

Thank you for your help. I believe I was retracting those front jack legs up to high causing the fuse to blow. I have recently followed some of your suggestions by puting a paint mark 1 inch on the legs retracted / extended. Since then I have not blown a fuse. It's my first fiver. To bad my sales guy didn't give me a heads up. Thanks michigandsl

jimtoo

Yahoo!!!!! Another problem cured by the great people on the Heartland Owners Forum.:D:D:D

We are here to help one another.

Jim M

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have been reading this thread and have a question. I really hate to say this but I have not blown a fuse on my landing gear. Now it will probably start happening.

I had a gear box break on the landing gear while I was in Canada. However when I was at my dealers lot getting some warranty work done I was connecting up my trailer I kept lowering the jack, not realizing that they had extended my jacks inner legs a long way to level it in their bay. The jacks had retracted far enough to break the pin body in both legs.

I retract my landing gear to where the pin body is about an inch or two from the frame. I put some orange paint on the landing gear legs so that I know that I have extended them to the maximum amount and not break a gear.

Also about retracting your landing gear, I am glad I retract my to about an inch from the frame. On the 11th of this month we went to Clear Springs COE near Texarkana and when we went over a railroad track the road dropped so quickly on the opposite side that as I went down if I had not retracted my landing gear it would have drug on the ground. I watched it closely as I drove over the tracks.

At what point is everyone blowing a fuse.

BC

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Another thought I had. Sometime when I have to extend my landing gear to level the front of the trailer I have to run the motor a lot and my battery starts to get weak. I connect the shore power before I start to extend the jacks to level it. As I extend the landing gear I stop part way if I have to extend the jacks a long way. I do not want to get the motor over heated and maybe blow a fuse or melt a wire.

When these fuses are blowing are they blowing while raising the landing gears or when they are extended fully. As I was reading I was assuming that they were blowing while raising, in fact some blew more than once.

I am getting confused at what point the fuses are blowing..

BC

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Another thought I had. Sometime when I have to extend my landing gear to level the front of the trailer I have to run the motor a lot and my battery starts to get weak. I connect the shore power before I start to extend the jacks to level it. As I extend the landing gear I stop part way if I have to extend the jacks a long way. I do not want to get the motor over heated and maybe blow a fuse or melt a wire.

When these fuses are blowing are they blowing while raising the landing gears or when they are extended fully. As I was reading I was assuming that they were blowing while raising, in fact some blew more than once.

I am getting confused at what point the fuses are blowing..

BC
Mine fuse blew on the first trip out while i was entending the legs beyond their length capacity. I should have placed blocks under the pads first because the ground was was out of level about 10" from front to rear.