CO Detector

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Just wondering why the CO (carbon monoxide) detector is on the ceiling in the bedroom of our 3055. I thought CO was heavier than air. (at least in Canada it is) It would seem that when the detector would go off we would not hear it as we would alreay have succumbed to CO.
I was thinking of relocating it, but would have a hole in the ceiling to cover up.
Rand
:confused:

jpmorgan37

If I'm not mistaken, the propane detector is mounted on the floor because propane is heavier than air and the CO detector is mounted on the ceiling with the smoke detector because Carbon Monoxide mixes with air. I copied this from the Consumer Products Safety Commission web page.

1. How should I install a CO Alarm?

CO alarms should be installed according to the manufacturer's instructions. CPSC recommends that one CO alarm be installed in the hallway outside the bedrooms in each separate sleeping area of the home. CO alarms may be installed into a plug-in receptacle or high on the wall because CO from any source will be well-mixed with the air in the house. Make sure furniture or draperies cannot cover up the alarm.
I hope this helps and that way you won't have to cover up any holes in your ceiling.

John