Water Pump - Silence is Golden

Bob and Chris

Senior Members
We picked up our new 2010 Augusta the first week in April, spent two days at the Elkhart Campground, did the factory tour in reverse, then came home to Iowa. After a week, I decided I needed to fill the fresh water tank to check the sensors and try out the pump a little more as we had city hookup during our short trial. Well, the 5.7 Smart Sensor didn't work after I filled the fresh water tank, even though I had the dealer make ice prior to our PDI and it worked fine with a 1/3 tank of fresh water at the dealership. I read up quite a bit on the pump, then contacted Shurflo tech service. The gentleman I spoke with was very nice but said they prefer the dealer start the warranty service during the first year. Because I purchased it in Ohio, Jim May provided a list of local heartland dealers who might be able to help. I decided rather than drag the coach around the countryside I'd try the Heartland Factory Warranty route, being fairly mechanically proficient. The factory could not have been nicer, shipped me a new pump and control panel because the light on the pump switch worked intermittently, though provided power to the pump when on.
In the meantime I got interested in the use of an accumulator to quiet the pump and reduce run time. It's basically a precharged bladder inside what looks like a two gallon stainless steel beer keg with feet and a top mount base predrilled to accept the pump. Bottom line, it exceeded my expectations about ten fold. With the water running from a faucet inside the coach it's difficult to hear the pump at all. I haven't tested it enough to know how much water you need to run before the pump starts but I'm guessing two or three hand washings minimum. Then when it does start because the 5.7 is variable speed, it starts at a low rpm and charges the system back up very quickly. I did add the bigger strainer that Shurflo says should be used with the 5.7 (Heartland said the smaller 255-323 they furnish is fine,) I decided to make the investment and listen to the Shurflo tech. I'll try to get a recipe list and post some pictures of my first mod. to the new 5ver, but if the demand pumps annoy you as much as they do me, you'll love this fix. I am fortunate to be able to tackle this kind of a project myself, but everyone involved; from my dealer to Shurflo to Heartland was very helpful and quick to respond. We're headed to Topeka for the Summernationals the end of the month and look forward to our first "official" adventure since picking up our new toy.

kkamshop

Hi Bob, glad to hear the accumulator tank worked for you. On our Augusta, even after installing the tank, our pump is LOUD and sounds like it's in an echo chamber.

We are going to add some rubber isolaters I think to see if we can quiet this puppy down a bit.

Or maybe we should call Shurflo?

Bob and Chris

Senior Members
Silence is Golden part two

kkamshop - hope the photos and info below gives you some ideas

Here's the recipe that worked for me:
1 - Shurflo 2 gallon stainless steel accumulator tank with top mount pump base and feet - Camping World on sale under $90
1- Shurflo extreme series strainer 254-006 - local purchase
1- 1/2" plastic tee for the connection to the accumulator
1- Shurflo 94-591-01 pump silencing kit (two hoses w/male to male fittings) - bought locally
1 - package of 3/8 rubber grommets from electrical dept. of Menards for isolation @ feet on base
4 - 1 1/4" 10-32 stainless steel machine screws w/nylon lock nuts to thread pump to accumulator base on top - I threaded the screws through the pre-tapped hole in the base then used the nuts as jam nuts so almost no pressure was applied to the rubber mounts furnished on the pump. - Menards
4 - felt pieces 2"x2" (approx.) with 3/8" hole drilled in the centers to set the accumulator on the floor of the storage compartment - you could use any flexible material (rubber sports floor, etc.) to isolate the accumulator from direct contact that would transfer vibration - home stock
4 - 1 1/2" 3/8 lag screws to attach accumulator to floor of storage compartment - again I did not tighten these down, just down close to contact with the rubber grommets I installed in the holes in the feet
downstream from the pump/accumulator I wrapped any hard fittings on the water lines if they in contact with the floor of the storage area with armaflex insulation, again to isolate any direct transfer of vibration to the coach
I moved the support for the high storage that is accessible from outside above the battery tray because I wanted a little more room between the pump assembly and the cables that control the dump valve on the gray and black water tanks (I think you can see them in one of the pictures)
I also cut 6 or 7 feet of vacuum cleaner hose that was coiled in the space shared with the pump/etc. - not sure why so much excess, but it was'nt necessary and saved me a few pounds of weight.

Attachments

• Pump and Accumulator 025.jpg
    Pump and Accumulator 025.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 105
  • Pump and Accumulator 030.jpg
    Pump and Accumulator 030.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 97
  • Pump and Accumulator 06.jpg
    Pump and Accumulator 06.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 93
  • Pump and Accumulator 07.jpg
    Pump and Accumulator 07.jpg