Bedroom Slide Hydraulic Cylinder leak

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I just found the hydraulic cylinder that operates the slide in our bedroom leaking. The cylinder has a pin hole in the side of it at the point of where the upper (closest to the rod) hydraulic line attaches. When the slide goes out the pressure increases and the fluid squirts out the pin hole. I discovered the leak after all of the fluid had leaked out. The cylinder is mounted in a metal tray and luckily the tray caught almost all of the fluid that leaked.

I have contacted Lippert and they are taking care of the issue but I wanted to just give a heads up to my problem. I you notice your hydraulic fluid going down you have a leak somewhere. Track it down. It took me several days of looking to find this one because I had to partly disassemble the bed to see it.

Anyway, I will keep y'all posted as to the progress of the fix. At this point I am waiting on the part to arrive. Then I will get my rig over to a shop for the repair.

Tom of Ypsi

Jim

I know what you mean about those pesky leaks and trying to find where. I have gone through basically the same thing that you have done trying to find a leak. I have an appointment on June 4 at Lippert to fix my front jacks which will not hold pressure very long. I am not losing fluid so it must be the jacks, same as last year. Good luck with your repairs. Lippert seems to be a good company standing behind their product.

jmgratz

Well, Lippert came through. Thanks Gary of Lippert. I received the new hydraulic cylinder today and made arrangements to have it installed by J & J RV Repair just outside of Livingston, Tx tomorrow morning. Baring any unforseen circumstances, we should be back in business before we leave on Saturday. More later....

jmgratz

I just got back from getting the replacement bedroom hydraulic cylinder installed. I had it done at J & J RV Repair on US 190 outside of Livingston, Tx. Before I got over there I had the decking on the bed loose so they could get to it and it was done quickly and professionally. They did the change-out in the time allowed by Lippert and even adjusted the slide for us. I would recommend these guys if you are in the area. They even do mobile RV service too. Anyway, at this point it looks like I have the hydraulic leak solved (fingers crossed). So now it is time to be "On the Road Again" (as Willie says). See some of yall at the Escapade and then on to the Heartland Rally.:D:)

jmgratz

One thing we did notice while changing out the cylinder is the wooden bed pedistal frame is coming apart. The screws at the foot where the metal frame screws into it have worked loose and that end of the bedframe has fallen causing it to drag on the floor when opening and closing the slide. The repair guys suggested I put casters on the bottom of the wooden frame which would allow it to move freely with the motion of the slide. The casters would also give some support to the frame when someone sits on the end of the bed, as right now there is nothing under it to support it. So my next step is to make that modification as suggested. They also told me that most brands they have seen have casters under the bed frame to give it some support. So, I will do that and then rebuild the bedframe. Part of the problem is that part of the bedframe has be in and out so many times (that slide has only been worked on 5 times) that the screws are loose and the frame is falling apart. Just another project to do. Good thing I am retired, cause this gives me something to do. LOL. As a side note I would recommend checking to see if the foot of your bedframe (the wooden part) is sagging. If so, put some casters under it.

jmgratz

Finished. I put the casters under the bed frame and fixed the frame that had come apart. Not too difficult a job. It is amazing how much better the slide goes in and out with those casters. Time will tell how long it will last.