Rear Hitch Ideas

Dmaxcc6spd

I would like to add a standard receiver hitch to the rear of my Sundance. Has anyone done this? Is there a kit that makes this a fairly easy install? Need someplace to put a bike rack or a carrier for the generator.

Ideas please!

lhetsler

Hitch

Most dealers can weld a hitch for you. I had one put on my Bighorn at a cost of about $500, a little pricey, but they have to work around the stabilizers and across to the main frame. Mine is rated at 500 lbs, but I only use it for bikes. If your dealer can't handle it, any metal fabricating shop or hitch shop can do it. I used the dealer because he made sure everything was right, insulation put back etc. I have seen one on this site where the welder left burn marks on the fiberglass. No excuse for that. You may find a stock hitch that can be modified to work, that may be bolted or welded. Usually they are not long enough though.

Bike Rack

Take a look at the one I installed on our BH.
It's in Bighorn General Discussions.
The total cost was about $280.00. I bolted it on in case if and when I might trade the unit I can unbolt it and transfer it to the new one.

Last edited:

buckeyebob

hitch

i have a 2009 2900mk sundance and installed a curt hitch on my bumper.it has a 350 wt limit and 3500 tow limit,i just wanted a 2 inch receiver to haul my bike rack or maybe a hitch haul.i dont know what the bumper is rated at but it works fine for bike rack etc. etrailer.com was the place i ordered from around 75.00.slips on bumper with 2 u bolts its a tight fit with the diamondplate skin on bumper. buckeyebob

Cyncwby

Not wanting to be the bearer of bad news and take it for what it's worth......but after the discussion of the gooseneck hitch installation I called Lippert Components. I was told that ANY type of modification to the frame from gooseneck hitch to a bicycle rack would void the warranty on the frame. So if your rig is still under warranty??? Food for thought.......Dave

Bigbear

I have a North Trail 21 and I want to attach a hitch so I can put a small trailer with our kayaks. Has this been done on this model and is there are instruction to do this modification

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Not wanting to be the bearer of bad news and take it for what it's worth......but after the discussion of the gooseneck hitch installation I called Lippert Components. I was told that ANY type of modification to the frame from gooseneck hitch to a bicycle rack would void the warranty on the frame. So if your rig is still under warranty??? Food for thought.......Dave

Really? From what i've read here Lippert's standard factory frame warranty is next to worthless. I'd think installing a rear hitch will make the frame stronger!...but i can see these frames are not designed to pull much weight from the rear.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I have a North Trail 21 and I want to attach a hitch so I can put a small trailer with our kayaks. Has this been done on this model and is there are instruction to do this modification

Pulling a few hundred pounds should be ok. Just don't rely soley on the 4"x4" sewer hose bumper to support it. I could make you up something in the shop!

HRAI

I had the sewer bumper removed and replaced with a 4" X 4" 3/16" steel bumper (standard 4 X 4 steel). I have a bumper hitch adapter bolted to my bumper. I can now hang 5 bikes on the bumper plus my weight and no flex whatsoever. My dad follows us out when we go camping with his truck and trailer and says that the new bumper does not flex at all - very solid.

Guy

Re: hitch

I think our 5th wheel trailers are similar in that I have a Greystone 29MK. Like you, I am trying to sort out how to mount a hitch on the rear to carry our bikes. Several opinions: Dealer - with the bumber mount "there could possibly be too much torque on the bumper caused by the bikes and hitch bouncing when traveling". Heartland customer service - "since a hitch isn't offered as an option by Heartland, then any changes may void the warranty, check with Lipert the frame mfg." Lipert - by adding a hitch to the frame, if there is an warranty issue that can be associated with the mounting of the hitch, then the warrant is voided. They did recommend changing the bumper for a heavier walled one.
So, my questions are, how many bikes do you carry on your bike rack, how much does the rack & bikes add in weight, and how has the Curt bumper hitch worked for you? Any assistance or advise is appreciated.
Thanks, dennis1948

caissiel

I installed a 2" receiver on my BC as soon as I bought it 2 years ago. I used a 2" receiver and welded a 2 x 2 x 1/8 tubing extension and fasten it to the bumper and rear stabilizer frame. When we travel there is no load on the stabilizers so I put the frame to good use. When parked I can use the receiver to attach the satelite frame.

The receiver applies just downward pressure on the bumper and no twisting forces that way. The pressure is next to nothing on the stabilizer frame because its about 3 ft from the bumper. Cost around $50 and a few hrs of work.

'

Attachments

• Bike%20Held%20With%20Bungiies.jpg
    Bike%20Held%20With%20Bungiies.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 222
  • Hitch%20Detail%20View.jpg
    Hitch%20Detail%20View.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 223
  • Bikes%20on%20Rack.jpg
    Bikes%20on%20Rack.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 215