Fulltime with a RV in the Winter - Ideas? Experiences?

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
Not to hijack a thread but this also may interest others while on this subject:
(I am a relative newcomer to RV life (4 years) and am looking forward to an Eagle Ridge 34QSRL someday to FULL-TIME IN)

What is a FULL-TIME unit then if Heartland dos not make one? What is the diff?????? The Bighorn and others in that class are better accommodated than the Eagle Ridge....

What are the down-sides to winter camping in COLD climes? My wife and I DO NOT FOLLOW the warm weather. (We are hot-natured) (Beyond using a heat tape on the fresh water lines...)

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Although we do not winter camp in freezing weather (we have before briefly), the biggest thing you have to remember is water freezes at 32 degrees F. That being said you will have to take precautions to prevent that from happening. RV's are not built like stick built homes and the sidewalls, water lines, and other things are not built to withstand severe below freezing temperatures. Not only that but keeping the unit heated is a constant challenge. Propane use will skyrocket in the winter. They are ways around the challenges such as insulated skirting, heat tape, and heat blankets but you have to be prepared in advance. Driving into or remaining in an area of 15 degrees for extended periods can prove to be disastrous. I know others will be able to talk about their personal experience and how they overcome the challenges.

jbeletti

Ron,

jmgratz has given some great input. Others will chime in too. It can be done. You just need to prepare for it. Look up winterization posts on this forum by user htneighbors. HT did extensive planning and preparation and had great success this winter in Wyoming.

Best of luck to you on your RV buying decision. Hope you become part of the Heartland family.

Jim

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
Thanks JMGRATZ!

I have camped with a Trailmanor and now my North Trail 28RLS in weather at temperatures above 15 degree's but not much more.....

We used heat tape for the fresh water wrapped from the ground at the spigot all the way up snuggly to the NT.

We are not cold-blooded so the interior heat was on but not to anything above probably 67. We also use a ceramic tower heater mostly as that seems to do a great job then when the real cold hits the thermostat kicks-on at a set lower limit.

What else would be advised on an Eagle Ridge 34QSRL specific to this or a Heartland brand product? Is there something that could be factory special-ordered" to assist?????

We are looking at traveling "ALL OF NORTH AMERICA" upon retirement and would prefer to stay away from the southernmost climates in mid summer. We are in the Atlanta area and know all too well about summer heat/humidity.

jbeletti

Ron,

On some of our brands, we offer tank heating pads. On those brands that we do not offer this on, you can have your dealer install them. The pads we offer are 110 VAC only. But other brands can be ordered that are 12 VDC if you boondock often and have the battery bank to handle it.

So that is one thing I would suggest you get, no matter what RV you move to and in some cases, you can order it from Heartland during your build.

Consider also making sure that the air conditioner you get with your next RV is upgradable to the Heat Strip option. This can be added by you or your dealer. This will give you a backup to your furnace when/if you run out of propane or if your regulator or changeover freezes up. Of course, various types of space heaters will work as well. But the heat strip has the ability to push warm air throughout the coach via the AC vents (I think).

Jim

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Winterizing!

Rockerga - here is the winterizing post I made that Jim referred to. I updated the info in it, too. Like previously mentioned, with proper preparations - winter living in the right RV can be accomplished easily. :) This being said, I don't know anything about the Eagle Ridge. The Cyclone has the underbelly and furnace heat on the water lines so they won't freeze up. Then, all the mods I made to mine = extra assurance. The particular tank heaters I have were installed at the dealer before I picked my rig up. They come with both - 12VDC and 120VAC connections. Only my fresh water tanks are connected 12VDC - all the waste tanks are connected 120VAC. So far, I only use the 120V heaters, since I'm connected to the water at the CG.

Luckily, I was able to stay in one place during the worst of the winter. I would rather not have to break camp, move and set up in sub-zero temps and a foot of snow. :eek:

Without the large, external propane tank, I would go through a 30lb bottle in 3 days. :(

I LOVE MY CYCLONE!!

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
Rockerga - here is the winterizing post I made that Jim referred to. I updated the info in it, too. Like previously mentioned, with proper preparations - winter living in the right RV can be accomplished easily. :) This being said, I don't know anything about the Eagle Ridge. The Cyclone has the underbelly and furnace heat on the water lines so they won't freeze up. Then, all the mods I made to mine = extra assurance. The particular tank heaters I have were installed at the dealer before I picked my rig up. They come with both - 12VDC and 120VAC connections. Only my fresh water tanks are connected 12VDC - all the waste tanks are connected 120VAC. So far, I only use the 120V heaters, since I'm connected to the water at the CG.

Luckily, I was able to stay in one place during the worst of the winter. I would rather not have to break camp, move and set up in sub-zero temps and a foot of snow. :eek:

Without the large, external propane tank, I would go through a 30lb bottle in 3 days. :(

I LOVE MY CYCLONE!!

Thank you sir!!!!

I do not mind paying for the factory options (Or "Modding myself) to weather-proof mine to reasonably cold temperatures as "all of" Alaska and Canada is on our docket plus the western mountainous regions of America. We don't care about the cold weather; we just know what we want to see and some of the most beautiful times to be somewhere is dead of winter....

If you can take the time eventually to tell me what you did I would appreciate it. I want to make the right choice once and be done on my 5ver..

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Click the link (the underlined word "here" in my previous post) and it explains a lot. Any more questions, let me know! :)

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
HT: Do you remember the approximate overall cost to "winterize" your unit to this extreme?

Loved the pics and your lifestyle!

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
HT: Do you remember the approximate overall cost to "winterize" your unit to this extreme?

Loved the pics and your lifestyle!

Skirting from http://www.rvskirting.com: $1700
Pink sheet insulation from Home Depot, $32/sheet x 9 sheets: $288
Water supply hose insulation, $7.50 x 4 pieces: $30
(6' long pieces for a 25' hose)
Beer during installation: $20
Total: $2038 + heat trace cable

The heat trace cable I use on my hose and for my dump line on the Cyclone was 'extra' from a job. It is industrial heat tape priced at around $9/ft! :eek: FREE to me! :D I have a 50' and a 25' hose heat traced and insulated.

If you are going to be parked in one spot for a 'while' - the skirting is definitely worth the money. You can not imagine the wind it keeps from blowing under your rig. If I'm not staying for a month or more, I wouldn't put the skirt on. Time consuming. :(

I LOVE MY CYCLONE!! With my winter mods, I will go anywhere for a job right now and not worry one bit about the temps. For long term stays, get the larger propane tank from a local vendor. Otherwise, I have 2 AC units and my Harley - let's travel!! :):cool:

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
"I LOVE MY CYCLONE!! With my winter mods, I will go anywhere for a job right now and not worry one bit about the temps. For long term stays, get the larger propane tank from a local vendor. Otherwise, I have 2 AC units and my Harley - let's travel!! :):cool:"

Thanks for all your very valuable information. :D

I also want that ability for work or play as I full-time my way through North America. I don't want to worry about temps. Heat trace wiring is fairly expensive, I have a 25' piece already since we camp in the N. GA. mountains throughout winter. But that is all that is required HERE.....

Heavers

We are fulltime RVers who also work camp, so we do spend some time in cold climates. Our Landmark has never frozen while in below zero weather. We wrap the water hose and water spigot (very carefully) with heat tape also insulate the sewer hose from ground to the RV. When it is very cold always keep a 60 watt light bulb burning in the utility station. Using electric heaters is fine, but you must keep the furnace going to keep the belly from freezing, propane is cheaper than repairs. Hope this is helpful.

PUG

Pug
Heating the tanks, water line heat tape and wrap, and sealing underneath with insulating foam are necessary. Also having skirting around the trl and front fifth wheel hang over really helps if staying for quite a while.
When traveling from Idaho South in Janauary of each year I usually just leave it winterized until I get far enough south so freezing is not a problem. I have put traveling water in and left the furnace going and haven't had a freeze too.

Re: Winterizing!

We bought a skirt from www.rvskirtkits.com and have been very happy with the craftmanship, we normally use wood or styrofoam but we installed this skirt ourself in 2-1/2 hours and it is portable. Ours was $1500 with the shipping and we are satisfied customers, no more wood and mess for us. So far in Boulder Wyoming we are staying very warm and cozy.:D

aatauses

I noticed on your post that you are considering AK or CN for the winter. All the advice from others is great and I think you can prepare your unit for the weather, but here is something to consider. We came to AK last summer, with the intention of experiencing the winter, we are from ME so the cold is not an issue. However we had previously decided to store the RV and stay in a local cabin/apt which has worked out great. Here is what we learned this winter---there are very few (like hardly any) RV parks that are open in the winter. So, in addition to getting your rig ready, make sure you do some checking on RV parks that may stay open the winter months.
al
currently in Kenai AK