faulty ac unit?

thomasinnv

I have a 3300RLB with a 15k unit. when i start the ac, the voltage drops way below 100. sometimes the thermal breaker will trip on the ac before it gets up to speed, and sometimes not. the voltage before starting is at 120, and i was plugged directly into a 30 amp plug at the main panel. the voltage drops so low when starting that every thing else in the rv shuts off...tv, micro, satellite internet etc. if the ac manages to stay running long enough to get up to speed, the voltage will come up to around 110. i tried running it directly off my 4k generator with the same results so i am hesitant to think it is a power problem. it is a carrier air V.

Northern Virginia
I know my 15k unit will surge to 56 amps at start up for about 1 second, then it drops to 12-13 amps (plugged into 50A service). The voltage at start up only drops to 119 (from 122v).

Might want to check that the neutral wire is tight on the bus.

John

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I am not an AC man but sounds like you might have an AC problem i.e. a problem with the start circuit on the AC. Some AC have a start capacitor which could be bad. I would have it looked at.

thomasinnv

after further research online, i have found this to be a common problem. i have ordered a super boost start capacitor SPP8. supposed to eliminate the problem. others have reported exelent results.

Koolaid

after further research online, i have found this to be a common problem. i have ordered a super boost start capacitor SPP8. supposed to eliminate the problem. others have reported exelent results.

I am having a similar issue. Did this resolve your problem?

Northern Virginia
I ended up installing a Supco hard start capacitor which did help. This was in the Dometic 15k. I don't think you need one in the Air V, at least my 13,5k low profile Air V didn't require one.

John