operation of power inverter

kbsplus2

Why does the power inverter only work with the genny but not just off the batteries? For example I was trying to figure out the tv working when off shore power without the genny. Is there something I can switch? I realize I run the risk of running down both my batteries but I would like to try. Or do I have to run a battery line back to the cabin and use a secondary power inverter? Appreciate the help.

SmokeyBare

To convert 12 Volt DC Power... Into 110 Volt AC power... requires an Inverter...

The RV come equipped with only a Converter... which converts 110 Volt AC.... into 12 Volt DC power.

Two different products.

Hope this is some Help for you... Do a Google Search on the subject if you want more info...

lhetsler

Inverter

Your units main converter/inverter takes 110 volt from shore power and converts 110 to 12v for lights, heater fan, vent fans, refer and water heater on propane, etc. When not on shore power you will either need a 12 volt tv and run a 12 volt outlet to your tv if not already there or if you don't have a 12volt tv you will still need the 12 volt outlet to plug in an inverter which you can buy anywhere including Walmart. You don't need a large one depending on your tv size. I used a 200 watt and I have used a 400 watt for a 12 inch tv. In effect what the inverter you buy will do is take your 12 battery power and convert it to 110 to run your tv. Obviously if you have a 12 volt tv you wouldn't need the inverter. I am guessing your tv is 110 volt only. If you have two batteries you shouldn't have too much trouble running the tv and 12 volt appliances for 3 days or so given my personal experience.

kbsplus2

If I ran an inverter to power the tv, do I need to run a heavy cable to where my inverter is or something simple like an extension cord? (so I can easily turn the inverter off in the cabin vs. going out to the battery compartment) Appreciate the help.

lhetsler

Inverter

If you already have a 12v round plug, you can get 12 v extension cords, but that is rather impractical. I would buy a 12v plug about $5 and some #8 or 10 automotive wire or get it a Home Depot or Lowes and install lthe 12 v plug in the tv cabinet and run wiring directly from the electrical box. The 12 v side will have plenty of empty fuse blocks. You will see two connectors for each fuse, so run a wire to each and connect other end to 12v plug, Insert a number 10 fuse and you are all set.

SmokeyBare

The bigger the demand for Power... the larger the wire from the battery or bank of batteries... to the inverter.

The wire used for the 12 Volt plug... (Guessing here) is very small... such as the same used for 12 Volt Lights in the RV. This would not support a Inverter that would power a large TV... and perhaps a Dish Receiver to support the TV. The next thing is... length of the wire... matters as well. The longer the run of wire from the battery to the inverter the more resistance that long run causes... distance causes loss...

Perhaps you've once plugged say an Electric Iron in a cheap extension cord... sure the iron works... but the heavy draw of power to run the Iron.... causes the extension cord to heat Up... to the point of melting the plastic covering over the copper wires. Makes for a dangerous condition.

Same happens if you plugged in a 400 Watt Inverter to the RV's 12 Volt Connection... it could heat up the wire to the point of melting the plastic covering over the copper wires.

Rule of thumb... never plug any electrical cord into an extension cord... that is Smaller than the Original cord's size.... Only into a extension cord the same size or Larger...