Verizon lowers overage charges and tethering cost

AlexSian

Mobile Broadband Consultant
Verizon put out a press release today lowering their overage charge for mobile broadband service from $0.25/MB to just $0.05/MB -- which ties them with Sprint for lowest overage charge.

They also increased the allowance for their lowest priced monthly plan from 50MB to a (still measly) 250MB.

(I still don't think many RVers can get away with that lower allowance)

Lastly, verizon lowered the "data feature" that allows tethering cell phones and PDAs. The new rate is $49.99/mo (and should still be pro-rated)

Rmcgrath53

I also am grandfathered in . Im not going to get rid of my service seeing what you have to get now..

cjbearden

Visitor
We are also grandfathered in with AT&T for mobile broadband. Sweet! We could not exist on the measly minimums offered now.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Since we arrived in central Wisconsin, 54494 zip code, We have had a terrible time using our Verizon USB Modem. I was on the phone with Verizon for quite a while and they were walking me through trying to update my modem with no luck. Because were in an extended broadband area we have to wait until we get into a "normal" area so we can update it to the zip code for WI. Fortunately our park has free wi-fi. Fast too!

enthuz

I love my Sprint 3G mobile WiFi unlimited plan. No problems, faster than most campground wifi and have yet to find an area where it doesn't work.

AlexSian

Mobile Broadband Consultant
Since we arrived in central Wisconsin, 54494 zip code, We have had a terrible time using our Verizon USB Modem. I was on the phone with Verizon for quite a while and they were walking me through trying to update my modem with no luck. Because were in an extended broadband area we have to wait until we get into a "normal" area so we can update it to the zip code for WI. Fortunately our park has free wi-fi. Fast too!
not sure any sort of update to modem is going to help you, ray.

looking at the surrounding coverage... you're just in a bad area:

http://3gstore.com/coverage/?carriers=1&zipcode=54494

make sure you are using the booster antenna. it'll help some, but the available network is your problem in that area. even with great signal, it won't be as fast as if you were in verizon's native EVDO coverage.

davelinde

Has anyone had any success getting the 5cent overage rate?
Last month we got a $650 VZ bill automatically deducted from our credit card and I assumed something went wack with my aircard usage again. I called to ask about the bill (only to learn that the charge was a VZ error and they reversed it on the spot). So I asked about getting my contract changed to the lower overage rate. After a long time on hold (they said they were checking this) I was told that I HAD been reduced from 50cents to 25cents and that was the best they offered.

Does anyone have a 5GB/month 5cent/MB overage plan now? How did you get it? What is it called? Is there some magic phrase a CSR can look up to find this rate for me?

I'm back into a heavy usage mode again and the first week of use is looking like nearly a GIG. I'm going to be flirting with these limits again and would hate to pay them $100 overage if it could have been negotiated to $20...

porthole

Retired
Has anyone had a a problem with Verizon dropping their out going mail server?
My home email required using Verizon's out going server to send email from outlook.

Something about improving their service :eek:

Last edited:

branson4020

Icantre Member
Not just an issue with Verizon. I've been in a number of sites with wi fi connections where the ISP would reject any SMTP (outgoing mail) request from my computer. Seems they require that you use only their SMTP server. Since I had no idea what therir server name was, and didn't want to screw around with reconfiguring my email, I just sent the mail directly from my gmail account instead of my netbook.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you have a problem with your outgoing mail, Google the error code. You most likily just have to change some settings in your mail program. Such as "Internet Accounts", "Properties", and "Advanced". You will change you outgoing mail (SMTP) and (POP3) settings.

Peace
Dave

porthole

Retired
Verizon has eliminated the outgoing mail feature as an "improvement". at least that is what the email announcement said ................