HI! I'm back! Need ADVICE in the worst way!

Midastouch

Hi everyone ... been awhile and everything has been great with the 07 Grand Canyon .... until yesterday, when I got home and heard and saw what looked like Niagra Falls coming out the bottom of the entire coach!!!!!! I'll make the heartstopping, tear shedding story short and get to the point .... the cold water hose had come off the bottom of the faucet inside the vanity in the bedroom and as you can imagine, I could have just held a garden hose in there and turned the water on and had the same effect!

I have no idea how long this went on but I left at 8:00 am and got home at 5:30 pm and the yard around the coach had water standing. The bottom of the unit was almost touching the ground from the water and I had to put some razor slits in it to relieve the water pressure and drain it.

Water went under the bed, into the bathroom and utility, down the stairs, into the living room, then down into the compartments where the water pipes, etc.... I can't even open the doors to get into the pipes, etc... because they are swollen, vanity ruined, all the wood trim ruined and of course, the floor wet.

I have the insurance adjuster coming tomorrow. I have full coverage with 100% replacement of a new unit.

My questions are this: Is there a possibility that they would actually try to replace the floors, etc.... is that feasible? I'm thinking mold in walls, warped wood, things unseen. Obviously my units value has gone down the tubes now and I guess I would like to know if anyone has had an experience with this type thing? This is my home and I have fulltimers coverage and they would have to put me up somewhere too.

I really just don't know what to expect, I need to know what to say or what I am entitled to ask for and what to do if I am not happy with the outcome. Sorry about the post being so long but I think anyone who reads this will get the idea!

HELP!

jimtoo

Hi Lynne,
Sorry to hear about your problem, but keep us informed about the outcome. Hopefully with replacement coverage they will put you in a new Heartland.

Living in Louisiana, with all the humidity and mold problems, I don't think it would be feasible to dry it out and hope it gets better. I don't think there is any way to replace the floor only. I actually had a motor home replaced a few years ago by dealer and manufacture because of water leaks and floor damage.

Keep a good thought and stand your ground, in a peaceful but stern way.

Jim M

Midastouch

Thanks ... I'm just sick over this and although getting a new Landmark would be nice, I have noticed that the units have changed and after getting mine just how I want it ... bugs worked out, fixed, etc.... the thought of having to go through all that again doesn't thrill me but I am hoping that if that is the outcome ... the things that plagued me in 06 have been upgraded/fixed since.

Just when you thought you were settled and things were going smoothly ......

I'll post the outcome and I'm hoping this adjuster is a good one!

SmokeyBare

The Insurance agent may want to see if a Cleaning crew that specializes in Water damage can do any good. Water damage can happen from broken pipes... leaking roof... Water damage from the Fire Dept...

Not saying this will happen... but it might be one of their options to try first.

Sure sorry your facing this... Good Luck !! Be sure to keep a close eye on the results of the water damage... pointing out each condition you find... as they show up.

Marv

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
I would take the carpet out first thing and get rid of it and the pad. Razor blade knife around the edge of the room and remove it. If you have the regular plywood instead of pressed wood floor it may dry out and be ok. You may even be able to reuse the carpet. I would take pictures of all of it before you do anything. Hopefully it will not be a total loss. I've had wet carpet many times and it will dry out and can be reused along with the pad, but that was over a concrete floor. Where are you in la?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Lynne, I hope all works out in your favor. It's situations like this that have me thinking about turning off the water when we leave the trailer for any length of time. I guess once we got into the habit, it wouldn't be that hard to do. I'm curious, did the hose come off of the crimp connection or did the threaded connector come off the faucet? I would also get a written OK from your adjuster before removing any carpet. Just to cover your butt. Again, best of luck!

jbeletti

Hi Lynne,

So sorry to hear about this. I am sure it just makes you sick.

I have heard that if you get to it right away, that you can dry them out. That said, sentiment will likely run 9 to 1 against that notion.

Replacing the floor of an RV, the whole floor, under the walls and all - I have never heard of it being done unless a coach was being rebuilt. Doubt that would be cost effective.

Bet of luck to you and let us know how you come out.

By the way, have you seen the new Grand Canyon :cool:

Jimmyt5

I came home one day and the line to the Ice maker had come off and was pouring out the out side refer vent. A kind neighbor turned the water off, ever since then when we leave off goes the water. Not that much of a problem with one of those half turn connectors....

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
THERE IS NO WAY TO GET IT ALL OUT!!! Once there plus in your humidity the RV would literally have to be taken completely apart and dried then pieces salvaged along with new to be re-built to my satisfaction. That is not going to happen so......

DO NOT ACCEPT ANYTHING SHORT OF REPLACEMENT!

Been there, so please understand I am not just offering an opinion!

Midastouch

Thanks for all the replies ... I am waiting for the adjuster as I type this. To answer some of the questions asked ... the hose slid off where it was clamped and my son put a small automotive clamp (one with the screw on it) back on. I am grateful that I had the sliding tray underneath as all of that stuff was saved, but the stuff I had stored in the generator compartment was soaked. The water is still dripping from underneath as I suppose the part of the covering we couldn't get off is still holding some water in there.

Most people I talked to said this would justify a total replacement because of the fact that there is no way to fix warped wood and with the humidity here and the mold issue, this unit will never be right! I live outside of Shreveport.

My dealer was RV's for Less in Knoxville and I have already contacted Karen and Butch about it. I will have the adjuster contact them as Karen said they are very experienced at dealing with the insurance companies, of course. I have had a chance to look at the new ones briefly online and was amazed at the changes! What happened to the light maple hardwood cabinets ... are they gone? I just love my GC now and have modified and furnished it to my liking .... what an adjustment it will be if I have to give it up, but I refuse to keep it if it is going to be a mold growing source and obviously never be the same!

I will shut the water off from now on when I leave for the day! You have no idea what it was like to walk up and see water flowing from one end to the other out of the bottom of your coach!!!!!!!! The sound of the water hitting the ground below and the site of my little dog running around it was too much!!!! Now I have rugs, towels, and anything I need to dry out lining my fence. The horses are mad too because if I let them out in the pasture they'd be jerking the stuff off the fence running around with it!

Never a dull moment around here! I'll post later when the adjuster leaves and thanks again for your support! Wish me luck and keep me in your prayers!\

Lynne

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
Best of Luck Lynne. Stick to your guns! Some insurance adjusters with specific companies work well with people in these situations and others well.....not so well! I hope you have an understanding agent and insurance company. I know I was mortified. The feeling was like nothing else I could describe.

I hope you get used to a new version and only end up with your deductible out of pocket.

jbeletti

Sorry Lynne - Maple is gone. Medium cherry is standard and we have done a few special ordered Landmarks in Oak when times were slower. I am told that to offer 3 finishes requires more storage space than we have in that plant.

Midastouch

Still waiting for the adjuster but here is something new going on .... I was in brushing my teeth and the LP alarm went off. I had never heard it before so it startled me and it's located to the left of the stairs right off the floor where the water creeped up the wall. Checked everything and don't know why I would have a leak so I'm thinking my wiring is acting up now .....Oh, the water pump turned on by itself last night too and I had to go out into the compartment outside to flip the switch the opposite way to shut it off! What the heck is going on????!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way ..... Jim, I guess what you are telling me is that the 2010's are great, huh? I suppose I could get used to a new one. The Augusta and the Grand Canyon seem to be similar and wonder what the pros and cons are of the two? I may have to start some new posts to inquire of all these things after the adjuster leaves.
What do I do if this guy tells me they are going to fix it instead of replace it?

jbeletti

Lynne,

Similar? Yes, in some ways they are. They are both great!

From a casual glance, here's what I see different in the Grand Canyon:

1. More storage in the kit/ent slide with the hutch as it is part of the slide
  2. Loss of bulkhead wall storage/counter due to a wide back-side aisle
  3. More storage in the aisle going up the stairs. That storage is in the slide so it does not take up living square footage
  4. More desk surface space
  5. Gain of large dresser/nightstand
That said, each has his own needs and one of these plans appeals to some and not to others. And some really like their Cape Cods and Pinehursts (me!).

Jim

Grand%20Canyon.jpg

AUGUSTA.jpg

beardedone

Beardedone
We have an 09 Augusta and last summer on our first trip my wife used the washer and dryer - great. We went about our business and when I finished waxing the back end I walked around to the door and there was water coming out everywhere. They forgot to connect the washer to the grey tank. Got plumbing fixed easily but there was water everywhere and we were in the middle of nowhere. We left the next morning and got the plumbing fixed. My concerns were of course about unseen water damage. I have been told there is no permanent damage and Heartland told the dealer that the materials in the floor, including the sandwiched styrofoam insulation will be ok. I am waiting, however it is with baited breath. Haven't found any mold, but we do live in a dry climate. The one thing that will never go away is the gut feeling of future developments

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
I would locate a dealer closer than knoxville if i could. Should have some good dealers closer than that that could fix your rig.

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
What do I do if this guy tells me they are going to fix it instead of replace it?

You tell them that is totally unacceptable and stand your ground. If you have to seek legal assistance but as a last resort. You should involve your (A Heartland dealer, if not a Heartland representative) dealer with the adjuster to substantiate the facts. if in fact there is no way this can be repaired at a less cost than replacement.

Midastouch

UPDATE: The "adjuster" showed up ... holy cow! I'm not sure I want to put in writing right now what came out of his mouth but he obviously didn't know too much about fifth wheels! He was pretty "down to earth" though and showed me the letter that his office was faxed from the insurance company about what they wanted him to do. He did say he was not working for anyone ... he was an independant adjuster! He never heard of the insurance company or the RV company!

We talked, I showed him and told him what I saw, he took pictures, etc....
At the end of our visit, these were the points that stood out in my mind about what he said:

"All the inside is cosmetic stuff and they can fix that ..... you don't need to worry about mold. When I total out cars I don't do it because of water damage, I will do it because of electrical problems and since you have those I'll have to see if they still make the wiring harness for this model .... they may not" ..... eek!

I mentioned about disclosure of flooding in the unit if I sold it and he said that "no one has to know about it!" eek!

I think I'll stop there with the horror visit and just let everyone know that my dealer is going to help me with this and told me to be patient and when the adjuster called him, he would fill him in on what he needed to know, etc..... I have total faith in my Dealer and although it's early in the "claim game" so to speak, I am very glad that I chose the dealer I did back 3 years ago and will go back to Knoxville again. I know they will help me through this and they were there when I called them and have told me how to handle everything! I'm hangin in there! I'm the one in control! No settlement until I get what I paid for! RELACEMENT!

Jim & Harriet

so sorry to hear about all your water issues. i know it is difficult to re-do everything once you have worked so hard to make it your home, your way.
is it possible to let us know what insurance you are using? might be helpful to know what company to use or avoid.
we are not fulltimers now, but might be in the next few years. now we just have coverage via our homowners and auto policies.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
so sorry to hear about all your water issues. i know it is difficult to re-do everything once you have worked so hard to make it your home, your way.
is it possible to let us know what insurance you are using? might be helpful to know what company to use or avoid.
we are not fulltimers now, but might be in the next few years. now we just have coverage via our homowners and auto policies.
You don't have a policy covering your RV?
Peace
Dave