Slow draining gray tank

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I was attempting to empty Gray #1 and was getting a very slow flow, even though it was at least 2/3 full. Hooked up my Drain Flush adapter and backflowed it a couple of times. Something white flashed past in the clear extension and the drain flowed fine after that. Must have been some construction debris floating around in there because it drained fine the first time we used it last month. Glad I kept all of my TT fittings.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
When they cut the hole in the tank for the drain the plastic from hole will fall in the tank. Later if the tank is full enough or flushed out enough it will flush out. Same thing happened to me on the black tank.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
When they cut the hole in the tank for the drain the plastic from hole will fall in the tank. Later if the tank is full enough or flushed out enough it will flush out. Same thing happened to me on the black tank.
But Jim, aren't the Grey tanks Black? I wonder if it may have been a glob of TP that got stuck in the main pipe and finally broke loose when John back flushed? Hard to say really. I have heard of that cut out piece getting in the way of things but I think it would have been a black piece. :rolleyes:

JohnDar

But Jim, aren't the Grey tanks Black? I wonder if it may have been a glob of TP that got stuck in the main pipe and finally broke loose when John back flushed? Hard to say really. I have heard of that cut out piece getting in the way of things but I think it would have been a black piece. :rolleyes:

It wasn't TP because when Gray #1 was slow, I closed it and then tried Gray #2 and it flowed fast. So did the Black tank. Returned to Gray #1 and it was still slow. That's when I hooked up to back flush it.

SmokeyBare

I've seen Soap and grease mix... and stick to the drain pipes... and every so often a chunk will peal off and float down stream.

We do as we did when we lived in the house... drain our grease and oils into a can... most often an old coffee can... and we have given up using "Bar" soap... now using liquid soap which I feel doesn't cause so much "Cling" to the drain pipes... you know... the "Cling" that traps the hair on the sink drain plug...

But, as Jim B. Said.... that's all down the drain now.... :)

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
I don't know what color our holding tanks are, but we had a white, oval piece of plastic that got flushed out of one of them. It stuck in the sewer end of the hose, so we did get a good, up-close look at it. :)

JohnDar

I don't know what color our holding tanks are, but we had a white, oval piece of plastic that got flushed out of one of them. It stuck in the sewer end of the hose, so we did get a good, up-close look at it. :)

Thanks for that, I was starting to think I was halucinating (darn mushroom burgers :eek:). And doesn't Gray #1 drain the bathroom sink and shower and the w/d, not the kitchen, so there should be no grease or food gunk in it. And the w/d was not used. We also do not dump grease or food scraps into the kitchen sinks.

On another tank note, this trip I didn't use any AquaChem in the black tank, only a solution of Calgon Water Softener. Absolutely no smell in the coach and the flow out the drain was very "liquid" to put it politely. But even after draining completely and using the tank flusher, the gage still read 2/3. Added several gallons of fresh water and a new mix of Calgon before we left.