Dish System

We are using the Dish satellite system with the dual receiver. The first time we used it we could get the entertainment center TV to work but not the bedroom TV So we by passed the switch box and splitter and ran it straight from the receiver to the bedroom TV and ran tho’s audio (Color coded four cables audio and video forgot what you call them) cable from the receiver direct to rear of the TV to get it to work.
I took it in for some warranty work they rang out the cables and said they were installed backwards. I couldn’t find the color codes they were talking about in the rear but when I was anti-freezing the coach I took out the front panel to get to the valves and I saw them there and they were color-coded.
I am using the Tri pod outside and running both cables through the window to the receiver. I am planning on installing a roof mount dish and when I do I hope Direct has the dual dish out then Ill switch because it a lot easier to tune in the single transducer than the dual.
One electrician told me that you can’t run sat signal through a splitter but in my travels I have notice dish has a splitter that can split and run to front and rear
Our regular ant has been working great on both TV’s and we did have a rear sat cable. The dealer said they could get a schematic for the roof mount to locate the existing cables??
Tried to use the schematic in the owners manual and it was for the Landmark and not applicable to the Bighorn, To Bad??
Also were are thinking of installing and internet system so we can use it while traveling, I have been told by friends that have both to keep them separate the internet is on sat 93 deg and it hard to get the 110 and 119 deg. to receive all on one dish even though it oblong and it has a skew adjustment. (The HD sat is at 105 deg for info.from left to right facing south)
Hope this helps
Sonny

Last edited:

ct0218

Dish does not use a splitter--that thing that looks like a splitter is really a switch that combines the two satellite signals into one coax. The LNB's are powered by the receiver, so if a splitter is in between it cannot work.

phranc

Sonny , Most of Dishs' sat reception is on 119 . I only aim a single LNB dish to that sat. I suppose there might be some programs that we are missing, but I haven't found them yet.
I think I remember reading in this forum, that Bighorn does not have a way to hook the BR Television to the sat ..I am thinking that a couple of people have run their own co-ax..
The internet dish is larger and requires a separate installation..

busted2341

I used a video switch box (camping world @ about $39.00) on my old 5er. I plan on hooking it up in the BH as well. With this neat machine you can control SAT/Video/ANT from the receiver I put in the living room and with a swtich of a button I get SAT in the bedroom while the kids watch something else in the LR...NEAT....

phranc

Busted ... Do you use the co-ax for the cable system to transfer the sat signal to the BR ?? .. How do you change channels on the sat receiver ?
Sounds simple enough.. Do you think another brand would work besides the one at Camping World ??
Inquiring minds want to know...................

busted2341

OK...I hook up the SAT cable in the LR to the SAT receiver. I hook up the SAT receiver TV out to the video switch box along with the cable and TV to the Switch box. There is also the line coming in from the TV booster and BR TV in the LR, so you have to figure out which of those is which and also hook them up to the switch box to the appropriate connection. Then with the push of a button I can watch SAT in the BR and Ant or cable in the LR or vice-versa. You do have to set the channel for the SAT in the LR where the receiver is so that is where I have all the control. Keeps me from having to run anther line to the BR. I guess another brand would work, but if your talking about those things at Wl-Mart or soemthing, no they will not work. I tried. The wineguard or simular at Camping World was the only thing I could make work...http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=21897&tab=desc

Last edited:

busted2341

...Well I am no genious yet....but if I figure out what wires are what I just might be..will hook up all the stuf this wekend, cuz we are out camping for the first time in this new coach. First night no problem so far, except the A/C just doesn't seem to cool to my expectations.....checking it out tho....I'll let you know how all comes out....

Everyone: Here I found this diagram in an old Thread it was posted by Jim in Nov 05

Attached is the Audio/Video diagram for the Bighorn. The factory said they'll have it on their website soon as well. I am not sure if there are any variances in the schematic between Bighorn floor plans.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=463&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1130259083

busted2341

Just for ya'lls info......The switch box won't seem to work.....don't know why..according to the diagram and the shop I have hooked everything up right but it just won't carry to the 2nd TV for some reason....my mission is to figure it out tho...this thing worked so good in my other 5ers that I got to get it to work here...I don't immagine the factory does something in the wiring to prevent the signal...Do U???

Deb

Deb
This is from Allan Deb's husband. I have spent hours trying to hook up our satelite system to the Bighorn 3055 in the living room. My dish is connected outside to satelite input. Two questions.
1. Where do I receive the satelite antenna to my satelite black box? and 2. where do I send the output from the black box? All the diagrams don't show where to connect in the livingroom surround sound section. There is only one empy splitter and that did not do anything. Thank you
All

Last edited:

ChopperBill

Deb, Allen: Surprised! Butch stated more than once when I talked to him that he makes sure all the TV connections work on satellite and even threw in a 19" for the bedroom and made sure it worked and hooked up the surround system to the main TV because the factory didn't. My dealer just made sure the TVs worked from the antenna which is no surprise.
The TV connection in the bedroom has a connector for the satellite but no cable going to it. And NO 12 volt plug in!

Last edited:

Deb

Deb
Allan spent about 4 hours on and off with the factory today trying to get this solved. It now works and the short story is that the wires were switched. Bedroom Sat. wire is really the Living Rm. Also the factory made design changes that were suppose to make hookup easier. So some at the factory knew and some didn't. I will say that they were very helpful. Going through the final stages of packing for our first big trip north to visit family. Leave on the 16th and home before the 4th of July. Look for us on the road.

Deb

ChopperBill

Deb can you let me on the secret of getting it to work. Seeing how ours are twins you may be able to save me some of the hassle.

Deb

Deb
Hi This is Allan, Deb's husband. What I found out after many calls back and forth to the factory, and several hours of trying different things is:
1. The satelite lines in the docking station were crossed. The line on the left was LR and the line on the right was BR
2. The LR cabinet with the dvd player has two connectors on the left hand side next to electric outlets. The unused, open line connector is satelite in. The line connector is to the tv. I ran a line for direct satelite black box and put a switch splitter to the tv. This way I can get roof antena or satelite connection on living room tv.

We don't have satelite in the bedroom. So no problems there.
The cable input line is also roof antena input. Cable will not work if booster button is pushed in which is in BR behind tv.

Good luck
Allan

ChopperBill

Thanks Allen. Still confused! I tried BOTH docking station connectors to no avail on the LR TV. My BR satellite outlet has no cable going to it so I knew its a no go. I did run my Sat cable to the unused connector in the LR cabinet and ran the TV cable to the receiver as it could have been the only possibility for Satellite hook up. Pretty simple logic. Again a no go. Thought something might be screwy on the back of the TV so I pulled the TV out. After wading through 2 lbs. of saw dust left under the TV I found no visual problems. The only thing left is looking under the panels in the docking bay area and see if NO cable is attached to the connector. PDI at my dealer as far as Satillite goes are hard to do as I forgot my dish and they have an outside source doing their roof dish installs. Going to let them figure it out as I have camping to do in my Snowriver.

vangoes

After several days of frustrating efforts to get the satelite receiver to work through the coach wiring I found the connection on the docking station was bad. My reciever would work with a cable run through the door directly to the reciever, but not through the coach wiring. A continuity check showed there was continuity between the core wire and the grounding wire mesh. The fitting was installed sloppy with a stand of the wiring shield wrapped around the core wire.