Difference in Heartland Models

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
Can someone tell me the difference in the models between: (Besides weight and cost)

Landmark, Big Country, Big Horn, Eagle Ridge. (Is that the correct order?)

I DO NOT CARE about appointments, fixtures and NON-UTILITARIAN add-ons, flooring, materials, etc. But ONLY things that REALLY MATTER.

How do you get the same floorplan but 10,000# (More or less) and $20,000 (More or less) less? is it all appointments and Materials or is there also something else?

We want a Heartland product PERIOD! But we want to make the right decision the FIRST TIME! If I can do without a few elegant touches but get the same thing essentially in an Eagle Ridge versus the Landmark is my question? Or "what I am giving up" between these units listed" could be another way of putting it.

It is impossible to do this reading specs and brochures. No local dealers have all these units so additionally it is also impossible for me to see them personally.

Any and all assistance of substance is appreciated.

Material quality is a lot of difference, wood or plastic better carpet, bigger axles, You usually pay for what you get. If this is your first trailer look very closely at items in trailer, bigger ref. more storage cabinets....

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
Material quality is a lot of difference, wood or plastic better carpet, bigger axles, You usually pay for what you get. If this is your first trailer look very closely at items in trailer, bigger ref. more storage cabinets....

That is exactly what I was hoping for: that it is "apparent" items and sizes of them plus quality of materials (Real woods and tiles versus laminates)
This will be our third RV We currently own a North Trail 28RLS but that is not full-time adequate. (WE LOVE IT THOUGH)

It is just so hard to compare on paper when you cannot physically visit in them. i am hoping for a factory rep to assist in the larger picture here also.

sandman

If the basics are all you need then the eagel ridge is the way to go. All your going to get with the bighorn and landmark is bigger and fancy, there all built the same way and with basic same materials of course as you get bigger like the landmark you will get more storage more room. We own a sundance and it isnt as fancy as the other ones and it works great. So that is just my two cents but the landmark and the bighorns are great rigs its all in what you need.

Jim & Harriet

sundance

hi rocker,
we looked at many, many of the heartland models when we were searching for our "perfect" 5th wheel.

for us the 2009 sundance 3300sk was just about as close to 100% right for us as we could find.

we went with the sundance for several reasons, we did not want to be towing more than a 34 ft. length unit (nose to ladder overall length.) and we wanted to keep the price down but still have quality.

we checked with the heartland folks and were told that the quality is the same - same workmanship, same cabinets, same carpet, linoleum, sinks, countertop, refrigerator, table & chairs, etc, in the mid-profile sundance as in their more costly models. and i really like the 3300's two-tone interior trim.

however, there are two main differences:
#1 the higher end options that are "included" in the bh,bc & l package price are "add on" options or not offerred in the sundance. the basics that we wanted were a side aisle bath - got it, lots of open space and lots of solid surface kitchen coutertop area - got that too. and, because we bought directly from the dealer lot, we were able to get "extras" that had been delivered with the rv and we paid very little extra $$$ (auto jacks, auto awning, fireplace to name a few - actually every sundance option except the flat screen tv.) if we had been ordering one to be delivered we probably would not have gotten as good a deal.

and #2 - the mid-profile design. that is the height of the roof in the bedroom. in the sundance it is quite a bit lower than in the big horn and big country and landmark models. but we are not extra tall people, so that was not a problem for us. also, washer/dryer and king-size bed are not available sundance options - also not a problem for us.

(if there are other difference perhaps one of the heartland folks can explain them.)

anyway, we have been very happy with the sundance. checkout the floorplans, perhaps one will be what you are looking for. None

Last edited:

grizzlygiant

hi rocker,
we looked at many, many of the heartland models when we were searching for our "perfect" 5th wheel.

for us the 2009 sundance 3300sk was just about as close to 100% right for us as we could find.

we went with the sundance for several reasons, we did not want to be towing more than a 34 ft. length unit (nose to ladder overall length.) and we wanted to keep the price down but still have quality.

we checked with the heartland folks and were told that the quality is the same - same workmanship, same cabinets, same carpet, linoleum, sinks, countertop, refrigerator, table & chairs, etc, in the mid-profile sundance as in their more costly models. and i really like the 3300's two-tone interior trim.

however, there are two main differences:
#1 the higher end options that are "included" in the bh,bc & l package price are "add on" options or not offerred in the sundance. the basics that we wanted were a side aisle bath - got it, lots of open space and lots of solid surface kitchen coutertop area - got that too. and, because we bought directly from the dealer lot, we were able to get "extras" that had been delivered with the rv and we paid very little extra $$$ (auto jacks, auto awning, fireplace to name a few - actually every sundance option except the flat screen tv.) if we had been ordering one to be delivered we probably would not have gotten as good a deal.

and #2 - the mid-profile design. that is the height of the roof in the bedroom. in the sundance it is quite a bit lower than in the big horn and big country and landmark models. but we are not extra tall people, so that was not a problem for us. also, washer/dryer and king-size bed are not available sundance options - also not a problem for us.

(if there are other difference perhaps one of the heartland folks can explain them.)

anyway, we have been very happy with the sundance. checkout the floorplans, perhaps one will be what you are looking for. None

We had a 2008 3400 Bighorn which we loved.... once it was parked. We sold the BH and got a new Sundance which is perfect for us. As stated by Jim, the quality of the essentials is the same in the Sundance and Bighorn but the Sundance is a lower profile (= less basement) which makes is much easier to tow and park. Full time, go Bighorn or Landmark; for 2 or 3 moonths at a time go Sundance or Eagle.

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
Full time, go Bighorn or Landmark; for 2 or 3 moonths at a time go Sundance or Eagle.

Awwww..... Now there is some more good feedback.... I am looking at the Eagle Ridge 34QSRL FOR FULL-TIMING. TO ME it appears to have everything we could ever need including storage space.

What makes the Landmark,Bighorn a better full-timer rig? Please understand I am a newbie to this so all your feedback and comments are assisting us to make the right choice. (For us)

(By the way: we are trying to accomplish this with our current TV..(2500HD).. so that is why we are not looking at the Big Horn currrently...but reality is reality!)

Last edited:
B

bwwalczak

You are getting some GREAT feedback here, but I figured I could chime in and give you more info.

You are right about the order from most expensive to most affordable FULL PROFILE 5ths: Landmark (top-most $), Bighorn, Big Country, and Eagle Ridge (least $).

To better understand the breakdown, lets start with Big Country and explain the differences.

Construction - Landmark, Bighorn, Big Country all have the "LAMINATED WORLD". Laminated world includes laminated roof, floor and sidewalls. ALL other 5th wheels on the market offer laminated walls, but not roof and floor. Please see the new video of this on our website. Benefit is much higher insulation ratings. All three brands listed above have the same chassis, same UDC (Universal Docking Center) with the easy winterize features, solid surface countertops. Now lets go up in price, Bighorn offers Gel coat sidewalls as an option, 2010 models offer slam cargo doors, cherry interiors, and many more interior upgrades. Landmark goes much further with interior pizzazz. Hope this helps seperate these.

Eagle Ridge is the latest in Heartland's full profile offering. Full profile coaches include huge walk in wardrobes up front, bed slides, and a flat bedroom and bathroom deck (no steps). Eagle Ridges are built to be the best value on the market for 2009 (2010 model year). Our goal is to build a BIG coach for much less money. We accomplish this by including the primary essentials, without the extra frills. Eagle Ridge is built with conventional 5th wheel construction with roof rafters.

The Eagle Ridge 34QSRL is getting much reaction right now because it is very similar to our much more expensive brands, at much less money. With double layered sidewalls, fully enclosed and heated underbelly, and upgraded A/C, furnace, water heater, and many more items, Eagle Ridge can meet your needs for not only size and looks, but most important COST.

Feel free to contact me via email if you have any questions.

bryanw@heartlandrvs.com

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Bryan, You stated the Landmark, Big Horn and Big Country all use the same chassis. I thought I remember reading that the BC was a 10" frame and the BH and Landmark were 12".
Did I misread?
Btw, the you guys did a great job on the 3250 layout. Just spent a long weekend in ours. We went from 88 degrees using the A/C to 48 degrees this morning running the heater. VERY comfortable.

Jim & Harriet

just checked the ridge brochure and msrp info. looks like our sundance is still a good deal. we have three slides, everything we need and all in a 34 ft. package and an msrp quite a bit lower than the ridge.
but everyone's needs are different. got to just do your homework and make the best choice for what you need

rob hutch

hi rockrer, we have a sundance3200bhs and really like all the room we have rear bunks are great especially when grandkids are along. just a little food for thought think about your tow rig bigger units more weight. when in florida i tow with a gmc sierra 1500 quad steer which does just fine in fla but when we go out of state i tow with a 2008 450 ford dually (diesel) i am sure which ever heartland product you choose you will be pleased and almost any help you need this forum can really help good luck

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
Bryan, You stated the Landmark, Big Horn and Big Country all use the same chassis. I thought I remember reading that the BC was a 10" frame and the BH and Landmark were 12".
Did I misread?
Btw, the you guys did a great job on the 3250 layout. Just spent a long weekend in ours. We went from 88 degrees using the A/C to 48 degrees this morning running the heater. VERY comfortable.

In the brochures there are stated I-beams size based upon the length of the trailer. Within the same brand you can go up from a 10" to a 12".

NWlambear

Any problems with the rear kitchen?

Hi from a wanna be "semi full-timer"! Just wondered how you like the rear kitchen. Any problems? ~Tricia (aka NWlambear)
If the basics are all you need then the eagel ridge is the way to go. All your going to get with the bighorn and landmark is bigger and fancy, there all built the same way and with basic same materials of course as you get bigger like the landmark you will get more storage more room. We own a sundance and it isnt as fancy as the other ones and it works great. So that is just my two cents but the landmark and the bighorns are great rigs its all in what you need.

larneal

My wife and I just bought our BH 3385. We also like the BC 3355. Not a whole lot of difference but the few things the BH had over the BC was enough to convince my wife that we needed the BH. See, we intend to full time in about 2 years so we also had that in mind while we were looking, and we looked for about a year. Here are the main differences between the two: The BH had the Convection/Microwave, the 9 cu/ft frig, the 2 ac units, the electric awning, the electric rear jacks, the fire place, the 32 in digital TV, the WD hookup. We just thought that when we full time these things would be nice. What convinced me was the price between the 2 was not that much difference so the BH seemed to be worth the difference. My advice would be, take your time, look at the different options and when you finally make up your mind, then don't settle for anything less. Because you know what.....you deserve it.

tkdmike

There are a lot of folks who really like the Sundance who have replied. One thing to remember is that you trade outside height for inside height - meaning it is shorter on the outside and easier to tow, but if you are tall you will probably not enjoy stooping in the bedroom. We have the BH 3600RL and are full-timers. Others have already mentioned the differences but for us, I'm 6'2" and my wife is 5'10", we had to have a full profile fiver. We had a SOB fiver that was mid-profile and I learned to hate it.

Some of the selling points for us were the w/d hook-ups and interior closet space. In talking with our dealer about full-timing, he also recommended the BH over the other lines due to quality of items, and thus durability, as well as the options available. Good luck - you're doing the right thing talking to lots of folks about their rigs and doing your homework.

jcelander

we have a eagle ridge 34qsrl. and we absolutely love it. i feel if i wanted to i could full time in it very easy. i don't think you would dislike the eagle ridge.

grizzlygiant

There are a lot of folks who really like the Sundance who have replied. One thing to remember is that you trade outside height for inside height - meaning it is shorter on the outside and easier to tow, but if you are tall you will probably not enjoy stooping in the bedroom. We have the BH 3600RL and are full-timers. Others have already mentioned the differences but for us, I'm 6'2" and my wife is 5'10", we had to have a full profile fiver. We had a SOB fiver that was mid-profile and I learned to hate it.

Correct, the mid-profile Sundance does have lower ceilings. I am 6'2 and have no problem with the lower bedroom. The lower ceiling in the living area is a big plus IMHO---I can reach the vent fan and all the upper cabinets. Lower ceilings=less volume=easier to heat/cool. I do not miss my BH, particurlary when parking my Sundance.

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
we have a eagle ridge 34qsrl. and we absolutely love it. i feel if i wanted to i could full time in it very easy. i don't think you would dislike the eagle ridge.

That is one of the models we are seriously considering on our next purchase for full-timing! Glad to see your input! We toured it at our local dealer and fell in love with it!:)

jmaguire

We have the 35DSRL Eagle Ridge. We love it. It has the loft for the kids in the rear which is really cool. The only issues we have had are a defective interstate battery and a bad water heater element. Neither issue is a factory problem though. The fit and finish seem very good and it is very comfotable for us. I could full time in it. John

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Awwww..... Now there is some more good feedback.... I am looking at the Eagle Ridge 34QSRL FOR FULL-TIMING. TO ME it appears to have everything we could ever need including storage space.

What makes the Landmark,Bighorn a better full-timer rig? Please understand I am a newbie to this so all your feedback and comments are assisting us to make the right choice. (For us)

(By the way: we are trying to accomplish this with our current TV..(2500HD).. so that is why we are not looking at the Big Horn currrently...but reality is reality!)

Can your Chevy TV handle the Eagle Ridge pin weight (2350 unloaded)? We picked a Sundance because of the pin weight on all the other units will too high for a 3/4 ton with passangers.