Replacement recliners for 3400RL

jjbowl

We have decided to replace the original cloth recliners that came with our BH. They are not too comfortable and the fabric is beginning to wear. Will we have any trouble getting these out the door when we get ready to remove them? Also, we will be attending the ralley and wonder if the Elkart area might have some good sources for replacement furniture. We have looked around at home for recliners but ones narrow enough are far and few between and seem to command a premium price. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

jjbowl

Thanks for the info. Are you pretty tight when you turn your chairs for the slides to close with your la-z-boys? When I measured ours it looks like anything much wider than 32" would be real close.

Two Hands

We went through the same adventure with our 3055RL. I measured and then we went to the Lazy Boy web site. It listed five recliners that met our specifications. The Lazy Boy store about 25 miles away had all five in stock so we were able to test sit them all. We had a carpet sample and a sofa cushion which my navigator and CEO used to select colors and materials that would match our Bighorn. They arrived about two months later. The store delivered them and took the old ones away. They had no trouble getting through the door. We have been very happy with them.

SmokeyBare

With each model year comes changes... with some of these changes comes other complications. Our BigHorn is a 2007... when at the Rally for the next model year it looked like the Slide rooms were a little longer... which reduced the space the chairs set in.

The measurement on our 3400 RL - 2007 model year - is 38 inches from the edge of the slide rooms to the rear wall. We have plenty of room for our old leather chairs. We simply push them back against the rear wall and strap them down to get ready to travel.

The additional room in each slide room is nice... but so are a more comfortable chair !!

Good Luck with your search !

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jim and Jean, check out the recliners we bought at J.C. Pennys. This is the link to our post. BTW, if you read through all the posts in the thread you will also find some little foot stools and a table we made to go between the chairs. Sorry Jim but you might just have a few more "honey do's" Bob:D //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=9450

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We went to Lazy Boy Gallery and bought ours. The backs come off most of the recliners. The ones we bought are so light that Pat can move them by herself.

We bought 2 Reclina Way SKU# 15000763.

The biggest thing we had to watch out for was the width of the chairs to fit in our slide.

BC

jbeletti

We did the same as Bob. Two Reclin-A-Way style recliners. We keep them sideways in the rear cap for travel. When setting we setup for more than a day or two, we swap the sofa into the rear cap.

Jim

wdk450

Lessons learned from bad experiences

All:
I thought I would share 2 bad experiences I had related to NOT STRAPPING DOWN THE RECLINERS WHEN WE TRAVELLED.
First of all, I turned the recliners sideways (I still need to get some slides under them - whew!) , didn't tie them down, and let my wife put in the slides while i hitched up. Wife hears a lound crunching sound as the living room slide goes in. The trim of the slide caught the handle of the rocker and the trim got snapped off.
Yesterday, I went to put out my slides to do some housekeeping before a short trip. I was on the side of the access road at my storage yard, and the slides would obstruct the road temporarily. The batteries on the trailer were very low and the slide hydraulics quit with the slides out. The truck idling was not providing enough charging current to do much. After hooking up a generator I had (fortuantely) rented that day, I was able to extend/withdraw the slides. How does this relate to the recliners? It seems that the unrestrained recliners on our last trip had rocked enough to break free the rear window trim in such a way that it pressed the power switch on one of the reading lamps, thereby running down our batteries while in storage.

Niles

This is another option and not for everyone. We like rocker gliders, we found ours at Lambright Aluminum in Shipshewana, IN, they are Amish built right there at his shop. He does build a recliner also, and they are light and very high quality. Also price wise they probably are a little on the high side. We do love ours though, they recline back and hold where you lock them, and are light weight. We have a friend that bought the recliners for his SOB and he is also very satisfied with them. Mr. Lambright is very good to work with and can build you whatever you need.

Our BH area measured barely 33" and the new Lazy Boys that measure 33" just fit! You just have to try it! We went to the furniture store, had the salesperson bring one out and it worked!