Propane Usage

I just took bought a Cyclone 3950 (after looking at every thing else under the sun!) - I took it home. set it up in the drive, and turned on the heat only to find out the 30 pound bottle only ran the heat for 2 days. The dealer told me the tanks were filled. Soo either he was spoofing me or the 3950 is a propane hog. I live in Idaho and the temps were ranging from 20 - 40 deg F. Anyone have an estimate for propane usage in cool weather?
Thanks
Rockhound454

HRAI

rockhound454, sounds about right to me for those kinds of temperatures. That's a pretty big trailer to heat and those temperatures require quite a bit of furnace usage. Don't forget the sidewalls are only R7 and the floors and ceiling are R14!

Guy

jnbhobe

Thats sounds about right if your trying to keep it at 70*
or higher without any supplimental heat like an electric heater. Jon :eek: :eek:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I would suggest you get an electric space heater to supplement the propane heater. We went through a 30 lb bottle in 2-3 days when the temps were in your range. Then we bought a Palonis ceramic electric heater at Camping World (about $90). This heater is the safest space heater I have seen. It has a thermostat, tip over cut off, and stays cool to the touch. After getting the Palonis the 30 pound bottle would last 2 weeks. Remember, that it is not insulated like a house though. Also if you do not have double pane windows, if you open the shades you will let in alot of cool air. We keep the shades closed when we want to keep it warm.

jpmorgan37

rockhound454;

Your 30# cylinder only has about 7 gallons of usable propane, so when you are trying to bring a cold RV up to a comfortable temperature, it is going to suck the fuel. I definitely agree with the Pelonis Ceramic Heaters. We use two of them. Bought them online for $69 each and they have been super. We had several other brands before and they didn't last over a year and were nowhere near as efficient. Good luck and welcome to the Heartland family.

John

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
rockhound454;

Your 30# cylinder only has about 7 gallons of usable propane, so when you are trying to bring a cold RV up to a comfortable temperature, it is going to suck the fuel.
John

That is probably the understatement of the year. I used one 30lb bottle from May until November...turned the heater on and the other bottle went in about 8 days.

Try to get the bottle out, filled, and replaced from a wheelchair...

That's the fun with us wheelchair people...we are so much fun to watch!:p

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Lefty, you are a funny little guy. But I would rather watch someone with all their parts that can't run a screwdriver or know which end to use. Anyone come to mind????? Bob:D

jimtoo

He has been in Branson, Mo. before.. He is coming to Kerrville, Texas in February.
He will drink a margarita ...

Thanks Heaps, Guess I will invest in a couple extra bottles as I camp in remote mountain locations with no services nearby. My old camper could go 10 days during the cold elk season on 2 10 pound bottles. But if propane usage is the only trade off I'll take the Cyclone any day. may I suggest putting a cold beer at the base of the propane bottles for a good sam willing to trade a strong back for beer!

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Rockhound -
Keep in mind, too, that there is no heater vent in the garage - at least on my model. :( I do keep my garage door open and have a small "tower" type fan blowing warm air from the front out there + I have an electric space heater plugged in the rear bath receptacle and sitting behind the door. I don't want to freeze the HOG sitting out there! :) When running on my 30# bottles, I'd go through one in about 4 days. I LOVE MY CYCLONE!!!

Peteandsharon

I've found this to be a very interesting thread. We took our first significant trip in our new BH 3055 to the badlands this past June. Temps got down around 38-40 degrees a couple of nights and we woke up one morning with no heat. I just figured it had to be mechanical until I checked the propane and found both tanks bone dry. I also rationalized that the dealer had not filled them both when we took it off the lot. I had a 30 ft. travel previously which seemed a lot more economical with the propane. From reading these postings I see that it's probably just the nature of the beast. I'd better invest in a ceramic heater myself. I have the built in fireplace but I would never trust that to run while I slept.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Lefty, you are a funny little guy. But I would rather watch someone with all their parts that can't run a screwdriver or know which end to use. Anyone come to mind????? Bob:D

Cough, cough, hack...deep breath...ahem...

Yep.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Thanks Heaps, Guess I will invest in a couple extra bottles as I camp in remote mountain locations with no services nearby. My old camper could go 10 days during the cold elk season on 2 10 pound bottles. But if propane usage is the only trade off I'll take the Cyclone any day. may I suggest putting a cold beer at the base of the propane bottles for a good sam willing to trade a strong back for beer!

I'm buying two 40 pound aluminum bottles...and a long extension. Might last a day or two.

jpmorgan37

Check around with local propane suppliers to see what they will rent a 100# cylinder for. Our park has a number of them and we rent them here with the connector hose and most of the long term folks have them. We check them several times a month and fill them as necessary. It's a lot more convenient for them so that they don't have to fool with the 30 pounders.

John

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Check around with local propane suppliers to see what they will rent a 100# cylinder for. Our park has a number of them and we rent them here with the connector hose and most of the long term folks have them. We check them several times a month and fill them as necessary. It's a lot more convenient for them so that they don't have to fool with the 30 pounders.

John

We got about another two or three weeks of cold..then it's spring time!

I'm going to try to do that in the fall. Thanks, JP. Wish I had of thought of that earlier this year. I ran out of propane last night...got a little cold in here.

Course, with 2 pitbulls...I never get codl.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!

John

Definitely great advice for long-term parking in the winter! ;) I think the tank I'm renting is eithr 125 or 150lb, sits horizontally. Annual rental is only $41...and they fill as needed!

Ratowns

Something I find odd is that my Heartland has twin 40 pounders and the Cyclone has 30's. Seems like the Cyclone would have twin 40's also. In the cold of the Tennessee winter, my Landmark used one 40 pound bottle of propane every 8 days and that was supplimented with a small ceramic heater plus a oil filled heater. Temp was down at night to mid 20's.

DW_Gray

Well I'm glad I found this thread. It just confirmed my discovery tonight in Oregon. Yep, my filled 30# lasted about 3 days here. So I will go out and get an electric heater. Interestingly, I commented to Amy a few days ago wondering why the RVs aren't electric heat anyway. Seems that since we get electric hook-ups, we could save on propane cost. But maybe the reasons is it would draw more than maximum 50 amps.