Water pressure limited to 60 psi?

TxCowboy

Is the water pressure really limited to 60 psi? The 50 psi regulator that came with the unit (32RL) produces an unacceptable trickle of water at any of the water sources on the inside of the unit. The water at the park faucet is 85 psi (waayyyy to high).

I think 65 psi would be a good medium psi setting.

Your thoughts?

GOTTOYS

Depends on the type of regulator you have. If it's just the little restrictor type it does cut the flow significantly. You can replace it with a Watts (brand) regulator available online or at several big box home improvement stores. These are adjustable for the amount of pressure and come in different sizes as far as amount of water flow is concerned. I keep mine set at 50 PSI and have plenty of water available..Don

truknutt

Committed Member
Ditto GOTTOYS' comment. I keep ours set at 45 psi.

From the RV Water Filter Store (rvwaterfilterstore.com): "RV plumbing systems are usually tested to a pressure of about 100 to125 pounds per square inch (psi), but to prevent warranty problems, RV manufacturers may recommend only 40-50 psi. Unfortunately, this may not provide the shower you're looking for. Most house plumbing operates at about 60psi, and this can be adequate for RVs, too. If your water supply pressure is approaching 100 psi, you are risking an expensive failure of your plumbing system. You should limit your pressure to 60-85 psi to be safe, and to do that, you can install a pressure regulator."

Remember that pressure is a static measurement as in when all the fixtures are turned off, what is the pressure the plumbing will stand? Flow seems to be your problem. Couple of things cause flow probs: the CG's water flow may be substandard especially when all the sites are fighting for the same water, cheap water supply hoses that easily collapse, dirty water filters, the water fixtures themselves have flow restrictors built in for water conservation. It may very well be your pressure regulator restricting your water flow.

TxCowboy

Thanks for the replies. I took the pressure reading from the RV park's city water connection just before opening this thread and, as posted above, it's at 85 psi. As you would expect, that generates very good pressure from both sinks and from the shower.

Was thinking about getting an adjustable regulator with a built in guage that I could adjust the city water connection to about 60-65 psi. I'm thinking that should be about right, particularly if the 40-50 psi recommended by HL is artificially lower than it should be.

I'll take a look at that Watts brand mentioned above when I visit the local Home Depot.

One other question, does the 90 degree elbow connecting the fresh water hose to the RV connection have anything to do with this issue? I currently have a 45 degree elbow installed because my local Walmart was out of the 90s.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Something for you to think about. If you had a 1/4" line at 100psi you still would not get a lot of water (thruput) through to take a shower. If you had a 6" water line was available and the pressure was 25psi you still would not have a great shower. Most of the inline barrel regulators at Wal-Mart or an RV store are about 50psi but about 2-2.5 gallons per minute.

Watts N55BG Reglator 800x600.jpg
This is a Watts N55BG Reglator.
You can get it at RV Water Filter Store . A good company to work with.
This regulator specs are: Watts Brass Model N55BG Adjustable Regulator, 1.5" diameter 0-160 gauge, 6-9 gpm
It is set at the factory at 50psi.

BC

handva

Something else to look at is strainers for the faucets. Check to make sure they are clean and not stopped up. Might make a difference.

TxCowboy

Thanks for all of the great advice and suggestions. I've checked the screens, hose connections, etc. All seem to be in working order.

Decided to address the issue by buying an adjustable pressure regulator from Camping World. Will test it for a couple of days and give you all some feedback.

Thanks again for all of the help!

TxCowboy

Something else to look at is strainers for the faucets. Check to make sure they are clean and not stopped up. Might make a difference.

I've checked the kitchen and bathroom sinks. Where are the strainers located on these faucets? I can't remove the tips like I would at my home faucets (but I haven't taken a wrench to them either).

handva

Not sure how the faucets are in your Greystone. The ones in our Trail Runner were like a residential faucet, in that where the water comes out unscrewed. Just had a screen and an o-ring in it. You might lightly take a pair of pliers to it, but wouldn't try to twist too hard.