Does anyone have any experience/suggestion on a good Generator?

Marty1

I have a 2017 Pioneer RG28 Toy Hauler, and we have enjoyed many different campgrounds and State parks. However we have some opportunities to do a little "Boondocking". I was wondering...what would you suggest for a generator for an RG28 (13500 BTU AC). The weather will definitely be hot during the day. I'm concerned with features like portability, decibel levels (quiet enough to sleep and not disturb other campers) and enough power to do what I need. The fridge and stove can work on gas, but AC, lights and water pump need electricity. I also don't want the generator to run full capacity all the time. Any suggestions?

danemayer

Hi Marty1,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

A lot of people like 2,000 watt Honda Inverter Generators. They're pretty portable and relatively quiet. Keep in mind that many parks are likely to have "quiet hours" overnight where any generator may be considered a disturbance.

I'm sure you'll hear from others shortly.

CoveredWagon

I have a 2017 Pioneer RG28 Toy Hauler, and we have enjoyed many different campgrounds and State parks. However we have some opportunities to do a little "Boondocking". I was wondering...what would you suggest for a generator for an RG28 (13500 BTU AC). The weather will definitely be hot during the day. I'm concerned with features like portability, decibel levels (quiet enough to sleep and not disturb other campers) and enough power to do what I need. The fridge and stove can work on gas, but AC, lights and water pump need electricity. I also don't want the generator to run full capacity all the time. Any suggestions?

Im guessing you’ll need something about 4000 watt generator. I’d personally not get a dual fuel unit.

Marty1

Hi Marty1,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

A lot of people like 2,000 watt Honda Inverter Generators. They're pretty portable and relatively quiet. Keep in mind that many parks are likely to have "quiet hours" overnight where any generator may be considered a disturbance.

I'm sure you'll hear from others shortly.

"
Keep in mind that many parks are likely to have "quiet hours" overnight where any generator may be considered a disturbance."

I guess what I mean by boondocking...we are going to a field party with other "campers" (friends with campers) in a private field... with no hookups. That means carry your own water and electricity. I am not sure what to expect and many of the folks have been friends for 40 years. That why I would like to have the comfort of electricity and AC... all the while maintaining those friendships by purchasing the quietest most portable generator I can find. I've been looking at the Honda 3000is. It seems a little heavy for portability and do I really need a unit that large for the AC to work? ( 120v starting 3000W max, 25A running 2800W) I didn't know if anyone else had used a generator with their RV. Just looking for suggestions.

danemayer

Another option that's popular is a pair of Honda 2000 units with a parallel kit that lets them run like a 4,000 watt unit. But the 2 units are each more portable than any larger unit.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
We had purchased a Honda 2000i and 2000i companion with a 7 gallon external fuel tank and when we wanted to use our AC we hooked them in series and it worked great. They were super quiet and very reliable. We used them for 5 years with our Bighorn and first Landmark. This one we got the Onan 5500 installed so we sold the generators.

Rod

mlpeloquin

Harbor Freight has the Predator 2000W that is near the Honda equal. I did not think much about then, but on the larger Predator generators, the engine and generator are the same as the Honda's down to the part numbers. The Predator does not come with every bell and whistle that the Honda does, but it is at a great price. CARB compliant as well. You can parallel two together.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2000-watt-super-quiet-inverter-generator-62523.html

Oldelevatorman

Harbor Freight has the Predator 2000W that is near the Honda equal. I did not think much about then, but on the larger Predator generators, the engine and generator are the same as the Honda's down to the part numbers. The Predator does not come with every bell and whistle that the Honda does, but it is at a great price. CARB compliant as well. You can parallel two together.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2000-watt-super-quiet-inverter-generator-62523.html

I bought the two Predator 2000's from HF. They are very quiet. I only bought them for an emergency and have not had an occasion to use them yet since we don't dry camp. I do start them up once a month and load them up and they always start within a pull or two. I couldn't justify spending twice as much on the Hondas for my intended use!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I am not familiar with the Predator, but do have a Honda Eu2000 that I use for working on the rig at the storage yard. It can be coupled with the companion model, but I don't need it. Two things about the Honda are it's small, compact and lightweight (50 lbs), relative to some other 2K gennies I've used, and you can run it in ECO mode, which is a low output, quiet mode. When power is demanded, it kicks into normal mode and runs at full output until the demand is gone.

MountainDon

I have the Honda EU 2200, Newer than the 2000's. I love it- very quiet and can be paralleled with another one.

I chose the Honda so it wouldn't fail me when I most needed it, but I am sure several of the others are quite good as well.

I camped next to a guy who had a westinghouse igen2500 and by carefully finagling the power load actually got his air conditioner to run at 9000 feet.

If you are not aware of it yet, you loose significant power at elevation, due to the lack of O2, and for best results need a carb jet that is smaller at those elevations. They are very cheap and easy to put on ( for the Honda at least ). here in Colorado I just had them put on the right jet when I bought it. and Keep the larger jet for the flat lands

The igen2500 can be parallel as well and it costs around 600, where the Honda's are about a grand.

YMMV

RossRagan

I second recommendation of the pair of Honda eu2000I (at least one being the Companion version so you can easily parallel them for 4000W). I purchased a Honda eu3000i but wouldn't recommend it mainly because it is close to 150# when gassed up (they do make a lighter version of the eu3000i now but it costs a bit more than the standard version). I put wheels on mine and use a pair of ramps to load and unload it from my pickup bed. You can get the pair of eu2000i's for the same cost as the eu3000i. Take a look at Craigslist also, sometimes you can get a good deal there on generators.

I'm not familiar with the Predator line from Harbor Freight but I do know there are some knockoffs available that are manufactured in China. Don't know if the Harbor Freight is one of those or not. I tend to be a little skeptical of the quality/durability of some copied products being manufactured in China so I'd suggest you do some research before heading that direction.

esscobra

being experienced in this with multiple trailers and generators - I would recommend the Yamaha 3000sieb , has wheels - and handles, easier to maneuver/lift than the 3000is, will run 8-10 hrs on tank with 15k a/c on high as well as a converter/charger and a few other items, longer with just a/c on auto- also you can look at a 3000i handi Honda- lighter- 1 person lift, runs 15k and res fridge, converter as well as sat dish and tvs and computer in my bighorn, have had the 3000is, still have the Yamaha in my race car trailer, had a eu7000is with my previous travl trailer , ater having 2of th 3000 handi its were more hassels with fueling all the time - kept one of the 3000 handi an take wit me I bighorn as spare in case issue with onan, and use to power when its cool and don't need both a/ units- the 2ks Honda have too small tank and by the time you get external tank setup and 2 units- I think you would be happier with the 3k Yamaha- and the b boost model uses th onboard bttery to help boost output for a short period - the champions are also a option with dual fuel units and 3400 watts , but running a landmark and 1 a/ they really drink gas and are not as quiet as Hondas or yamahas - real world testing running-

ask your friends you will be camping with - had my bighorn a little over a year and 412hrs on new 7k onan -- I use mine as many racetracks do not have hookups

tomhank

I have a WEN portable generator. This generator only weighs 39 pounds, making it easy to transport from one location to another. As a result, the device is an excellent choice for multi-purpose use. It's very quiet, at 51 decibels, so users won't have to put up with loud noises.

Last edited:
We have a North Trail 22FBS. I have a Champion 3500 inverter generator. It's quiet and runs the ac, microwave no problem. The best priced out there is the Predator 3500 at Harbor freight. Over 6000 reviews 98.2 rating