Ceiling leak

Routemaster

Guy's. After a snow fall Tuesday we had water come in right at the center of the facia above you can see the water stain. Today I reached up and managed to pull the rubber back up now how would you fix it to the wood staples or Eternbond?
Den.

Attachments

• Rubber trapped.JPG
    Rubber trapped.JPG
    414.5 KB · Views: 60

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Kinda hard to tell what I'm looking at in your picture. When you say pull the rubber back are you talking about the rubber roof membrane or the rubber writer seal?
Try taking the picture from a little more distance.

Peace
Dave

wdk450

If that is a rubber slide seal I am seeing in your photo; to me it is too short. I expect slide seals to cover the open gaps between the slide and the RV side, with some extra rubber (2-3 inches) laying on the slide to better effect a water seal. Is your RV correctly levelled, so that the slides all tip downward away from the the trailer body, and then water on the slides should flow away from the interior?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
It kinda looks like the seal isn’t fully deployed and partially curled under, leaving a gap. Even with slide toppers, my set up routine was to check all seals for deployment and use a long rod (old awning rod) to coax them out.

Some folks reported good results with adding strips of auto trim to the surface to help flex the seals better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Routemaster

Good morning Dave.
Here are some more pictures I hope explain what I am saying. What I was seeing is that when they installed that black board to the slide out room the EPDM rubber was trapped down.
The drop in the middle of the facia cant help, could be giving us reverse run?
Den.

Attachments

• Rubber trapped.JPG
    Rubber trapped.JPG
    414.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Close up far end.JPG
    Close up far end.JPG
    296.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Rubber trapped.JPG
    Rubber trapped.JPG
    389.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Rubber out.JPG
    Rubber out.JPG
    289.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Drop in facia.JPG
    Drop in facia.JPG
    457.6 KB · Views: 39
  • EPDM trapped.JPG
    EPDM trapped.JPG
    313.3 KB · Views: 42

Gary521

Is this where the rubber roof meets the fascia? If it is, I filled this void with Dicor. I suppose that you could use the tape.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
From the photos, it looks like the white slide material peeled away from the black along the center of it. Yes/No? And the center of the slide top fascia appears to droop, as well. That, and the wood behind the side fascia is rotted and split. Looks like some serious water intrusion across the top of the slide. Using overlapping layers of 4" Eternabond tape along the fascia onto the top of the slide would address part of the problem, but if water is getting past the outer seals and then running down the back of the fascia, then that will continue to deteriorate. You should take a closer look at the outer slide seals to make sure they are deploying properly and not leaving a gap for water to run under, otherwise any repairs you make will be in vain.

If you haven't already, you might try contacting Heartland for some guidance on what to do, possibly taking it to their repair facility in Elkhart, if you can.

wdk450

When I replaced my slide seals, I put longer ones in, where the old seal did not have overlap onto the slide roof.

A few years back I remember postings on slide seal "flippers" - little Command hook flat hangar type stick-on plastic things that caught on the slide seal lip as the slide was opening or closing to assist the seal in flipping correctly.

From one of your photos, I can see the slide roof is not sealed up properly (white material with screw holes in it hanging loose).