Ram 3500 Factory Air Suspension

emm4273610re

Has anyone see or heard about the new Ram 3500 factory rear air suspension for 2014? Dealer says late availability, didn't know if anyone heard anything different ?

alex00

Has anyone see or heard about the new Ram 3500 factory rear air suspension for 2014? Dealer says late availability, didn't know if anyone heard anything different ?

Desert thumper posted this link in the thread about the fifth wheel prep package http://media.chrysler.com/newsrelease.do?&id=14487&mid=71. It looks like late first early second quarter of 2014 availability.

I'm waiting for this before I order too. There is still no word on price. My big fear is that it will be way more expensive than going with aftermarket bags. If that's the case I'll have waited for nothing since all the other options I want are available.

Sure would be nice to have the factory system with the softer unloaded ride though.

Sent by smoke signals using Tapatalk for campfires 4

emm4273610re

Thanks guys. That looks helpful. I too hope it's worth the wait, might even let something else go if favor of the air suspension. I have aftermarket bags now and really like them.

rgwilliams69

It's a mystery to me why all the major heavy duty trucks don't come with built in air ride and even engine tuners (for heavy tow, gas mileage, max torque, etc.) as at least an option. If they after-market guys can do it then it could be done as a standard/add-on. I'm a Ford guy and haven't heard if Ford will be doing anything like this anytime soon, but it would be at nice to at least have the option - although I agree with some comments on this thread that it would probably be more expensive than just putting them on yourself after purchase. Unfortunate.

emm4273610re

Sent an e mail to the two people that are in one of those links, heard back from Nick @ Chrysler. He informed me that it will be available 2nd quarter, March / April. He said to keep in touch with my local dealer and to keep an eye on the Ram.com build your own web site. When it becomes available we should be able to select it. I hope this helps those of you waiting also. Kind of disappointing having to wait half of a year. Order in April 2 to 3 months to arrive in July just in time prior to the new 2015's come out in August / September.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
When I found out a few months back about the 5 link air bags for the 3500 Dodge. It really made me regret buying a Ford. After owning this Ford, Dodges, and GM pickups. I have realized that Dodge is who sets the standard for towing. Now they are setting the standard for comfort loaded and empty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Now..now Duane, be nice. Now we will see if Dodge trucks out sell Ford and GM trucks. I just cant wrap my head around the fact that someone would want to push 38-39K#'s down the highway with a 1tn pickup truck. Just the fact that they now can have a payload of 30K is scary to me. Thats more than 53' Great Dane refer weighs empty. The new Dodge 3500 truck has to have a curb weight of over 8K and probably closer to 9K full of fuel, people and other stuff. Doing some rough math, a 5er trailer loaded up to 30K would have a pin weight close to....well lets say 6K at 20%. Dude, thats alot of pin weight. I hope the trans and brakes will hold up to those weights. I wonder what size tires and wheels Dodge is using? The truck would have to have giant brake rotors and 4-6 piston calipers to stop the beast. If the trailer brakes failed on a downhill drive....you would be in DOO-DOO up to you eyebrows. The pix in another thread with Chevy bent in half would be a fender bender in comparison. Personally I hope this works well for Dodge owners....but it ain't going to be me. IMHO, you are even pushing the limits of a MDT at close to 20 "TONS".

Still JMHO

porthole

Retired
Now..now Duane, be nice.

I am Bob :rolleyes:

I worked at several Chrysler Plymouth Dodge dealerships in the late 70's, 80's to the mid 90's, most of them multi franchise.
At least during that time frame the Dodge trucks were a distant third in ride quality

driver311

just traded trucks. got a new 2014 2500. have an appointment monday to get air ride installed at kelderman. the new truck has coils so install is simple. the coils ride so much better than the old leafs.

Westwind

The problem is when you buy a truck you really don't know how much it's going to squat when you hitch up your FW. My short bed GM 2500 did real well and is level with my FW while someone I met with a new Ford 2500 had to add airbags and we had the same trailer. I just worry about one more thing to go wrong and these new trucks do not need another item, they have enough.
But I have a buddy with a Dodge 1 ton dually and he said sometimes the empty ride is quite stiff. I guess that's a 1 ton.

priorguy

Surprisingly dealers have varying prices for aftermarket parts and labour. I had to add my EBC after the fact, truck was on the lot. Prices ranged from $190 to almost $700 from the 10 ford dealers within an of me. I wound up $10 less installed and taxed then the option was if I ordered the truck. Meaning I didn't finance it either. Maybe the factory airbag could be a dealer installed option. Like my factory EBC I'm sure it's integrated into the dash controls and displays unlike an aftermarket install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emm4273610re

From what I have read the spring pack is changed to a single leaf with the air bag, very similar to a heavy tractor. Making it hard and expensive for a dealer to install I would think. I was considering waiting for the factory for a couple of reasons, have a aftermarket system now and do like it, did not see a listing for 2014's yet either.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
The problem is when you buy a truck you really don't know how much it's going to squat when you hitch up your FW. My short bed GM 2500 did real well and is level with my FW while someone I met with a new Ford 2500 had to add airbags and we had the same trailer. I just worry about one more thing to go wrong and these new trucks do not need another item, they have enough.
But I have a buddy with a Dodge 1 ton dually and he said sometimes the empty ride is quite stiff. I guess that's a 1 ton.

Its not new technology and its quit simple. The airbag setup is proven with 100's of millions of miles to back it. Most every semi on the road has it under them. This in my opinion is the smartest move that any of the big three has produced since the first diesel was put in a light duty pickup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

wiredawgchief

Thought I would add an observation...3500s are not 1 ton trucks anymore and haven't been for a long time. My former 1 ton 2002 3500 as rated to carry over 4Klbs in the bed, not 2K lbs (1 ton). My current 1.5 ton 4500 is rated to carry almost 7Klbs in the bed. My 3/4 ton 2003 2500 is rated to carry 2K in the bed. It is important to understand the real numbers as former name references to the truck series are way inaccurate nowadays.

Ron

Last edited:

alex00

Thought I would add an observation...3500s are not 1 ton trucks anymore and haven't been for a long time. My former 1 ton 2002 3500 as rated to carry over 4Klbs in the bed, not 2K lbs (1 ton). My current 1.5 ton 4500 is rated to carry almost 7Klbs in the bed. My 3/4 ton 2003 2500 is rated to carry 2K in the bed. It is important to understand the real numbers as former name references to the truck series are way inaccurate nowadays.

Ron
The 3500 I just ordered is rated to carry 5500 pounds in the bed. I will hereby refer to it as a deuce and a half. :cool: