Oxidation - exterior Restoration

gslabbert5119

My 5er has been standing out in the sun and rain for the last 5 years, and the exterior has gone white and dull from oxidation.

Any suggestions as to restore is to a somewhat new look with a shine ?

Tried wash and wax, had it flayed a few years ago, but that did not help much.

So how are you guys restoring the exterior

Gavin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

You can buff it out with different compounds.
I know at lazydays in tampa florida they have a crew that dose just that. Quite the transformation. Not sure of the cost. I see your in Saint Augustine so it would be a couple hours drive. When I had my RV FLEX ARMOR roof put on my acs became so quiet
c5c0025edfcf00f150ea9e5336d4f224.jpg

Garypowell

My 2013 was going dull too and “wax” would no longer polish it up. I got some 80 grit liquid polishing compound and a buffer and did 1/4 of it every day then waxed it right after and it now shines again. Had to hit a few spots twice.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Several years ago, several people used a product called Barkeeper's Friend to polish out the oxidation and then used a paste wax (floor wax as I recall). This restored a shine and lasted a couple of years. Again, going off memory, I remember it was very labor intensive and a lot of work but the results were very nice.

Flick

My 5er has been standing out in the sun and rain for the last 5 years, and the exterior has gone white and dull from oxidation.

Any suggestions as to restore is to a somewhat new look with a shine ?

Tried wash and wax, had it flayed a few years ago, but that did not help much.

So how are you guys restoring the exterior

Gavin

I did similar to what Gary did. It’s the only way to cut through the dead finish.

Using Meguiar’s liquid polishing compound and applying it with a buffer/polishing machine using a 1” or thicker wool pad gets great results. It’s not easy and it is time consuming, but committing to sections at a time brings out the deep shine. It completely eats all the chalking and dead paint finish away. You have to use a polisher at medium speed and not a random orbital polisher.

After doing each section, I use Nu Finish “once a year” car polish to make the shine last longer.

gslabbert5119

I did similar to what Gary did. It’s the only way to cut through the dead finish.

Using Meguiar’s liquid polishing compound and applying it with a buffer/polishing machine using a 1” or thicker wool pad gets great results. It’s not easy and it is time consuming, but committing to sections at a time brings out the deep shine. It completely eats all the chalking and dead paint finish away. You have to use a polisher at medium speed and not a random orbital polisher.

After doing each section, I use Nu Finish “once a year” car polish to make the shine last longer.

Thanks, seems that I have some serious ex revise in my future.

Bobby A

I am interested in a good mobile detailer to do my oxidation removal, does anyone have a good one ?? I have seen on line that a good detailer can bring back the gelcoat to like new condition. The pros know all the tricks of the trade and what product to use and have all the right tools. I am in Michigan currently, Brighton area. thank you