2016 trail runner 30usbh receiver hits tongue

Skyhawk72

Hello everyone, I was reaching out to see if I could get a little help? We just bought our second camper, a 2016 trail runner 30usbh and I bought a husky centerline hitch new to go with it. We’ve had the camper out a few times so far and I’ve noticed that if while backing if I’m around a 45 degree angle (truck to camper) the top plate on the receiver hits the tongue. Does anyone else have any issues with this? My top plate pushed in the thin and poorly welded frame tube cap. I don’t think it will cause a structural issue as the coupler is welded on the top of the frame tube and a good distance away. I just wanted to see if my hitch setup isn’t right or if the hitch and coupler aren’t playing well or if it’s something I’m doing. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

hoefler

Make a couple of more post so you can post a picture or 2 of what is going on. Pictures will help greatly.

Skyhawk72

I won’t be able to get an overall pic as the camper is back at storage. I tried to see how much of an angle that I can back the truck up and I actually don’t think it’s when making sharper turns on the road. Has anyone heard of that?

I think you were more than a 45 degree angle. Looks like you jacked it to tight.Do you remove the bars when backing? Most instructions say to remove when backing into a site.

Skyhawk72

The bars on this hitch do not have to be removed. Also, is 45 the max angle you should ever go? I’m not so sure that it didn’t actually happen while driving to the camp site. The road has an odd angle that you pull down into.

avvidclif

It look like it was probably the bracket the load bar is mounted to. It would be hard to say but the clearance may not be much over 45 deg. The bars probably swing out of the way. I would when next time hooked up go in a circle until it almost touches and see what kind of angle it is.

Skyhawk72

Yep, its definitely hitting on the top plate. I measure the turn that I think is causing the issue and with an angle gauge and google maps it comes out to 145 degrees. I wonder if notching the frame rail would be the right thing to do?
Thanks again!

avvidclif

Since most trailers I have seen a similar shape on the front I would be talking to the hitch mfg about why it's doing that. It's limiting your turn.

I would not notch the frame!!!! You could get yourself in a hole lot of trouble if and accident is involved.A mode like that your insurance probably say your on your own.They built how many trailers over the years all have the same set up.I still say you jacked it to tight You probably didn't think it was that much past the limit. Some say remove bars others not.The bars are made to keep the rig going straight and put weight on the steering axle I have forgot to remove and can tell it is harder to back up.If you want to replace the coupler you better get some one that is Qualified to do it!!! Insurance company's are bad when it comes to mods or repairs. Very easy for them to deny a claim.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
The hitch does not look setup right the spring bars seem set too high and ball angle not quite right especially since your having problems.. You may need to readjust your hitch angles..
Here is a link to the manual for the PN 32218 Centerling Hitch.
https://www.huskytow.com/wp-include... 32217, 32218, 33039 & 33092 Instructions.pdf

Basically, The hitch ball should be angled more "add washer(s)" (the hex nut on the lower side will need to be adjusted too)
This should give you some clearance where your having problems hitting the fram at the hitch.

Other points will also need to be adjusted such as the spring bars lift brackets.

Level ground and frequent measurements from numerous points listed in the instructions above will get your hitch tuned up working well.

Skyhawk72

Sorry its taken so long to post. I spent 6 hours working on it last night, and 4 hours the day before. I contacted husky about the hitch. They suggested making some changes, I reset the hitch up and it was worse. We went back and forth with several phone calls. The last call they told me to add another washer (4) to tilt the head more. The truck is sitting at 36" at the front fender, 36.25 at the rear fender, and the trailer frame is 3/16 low on the front from being dead nuts. I think its as good as I can get it. Where I store the camper has a flat pad that they let me use to get everything level. When I brought the camper back I turned left in the parking lot to put the camper back. Just a normal 90 degree intersection, and that was enough to get it to hit. I asked about the high rise ball and they said that it was not approved for use on the centerline hitch because it changes the load capacity of the hitch itself. The rep said that I may be able to modify my frame but I dont want to do that for liability reasons.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I really think the old style torsion bars and chain link WDH setups are much better than any of these new fangled WDH hitch systems.

Most of the new setups are configured once...and change anything in your tow setup and you got hours of reconfiguring out what to do.

With the old style chain link setup...you eyeball your rig and set it up once...and it is done!

Doesn't matter what you add or take away between trips.

By the way...my Prowler 5'ver is up for sale and am looking around at bumper pull TT's to replace, and you won't find me buying one of these new fangled WDH setups.

The old chain-link and torsion bar setups is all I need!

They worked great for me for 20 years...