ATF: North Trail - Water heater

tglinks

My water heater does not work. The water is warm initially when the faucet is turned on but quickly turns cold. also I can not get it to operate off of gas.

jimtoo

Hi tglinks,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Is it possible the water heater is in bypass mode? Like for draining and winterizing. Or another possibility is the outside shower could have both hot and cold on, but turned off at the spray end.

Not operating on gas could be caused by several different things.. out of propane or not turned on.. spider or something not letting the flame come on due to web or trash in the area and the sail switch not closing.

I'm sure some others will have more ideas also. Let us know what you find.

Jim M

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
My water heater does not work. The water is warm initially when the faucet is turned on but quickly turns cold. also I can not get it to operate off of gas.
tglinks, A few questions first. Is this the first time this year that you are using the unit? Is it new or have you used it before? Is this the first use since it's been winterized?
Part 1. You might not have the hot water heater bypass set correctly. A lot depends on the bypass system. If it's the 3 valve system, the inlet and outlet valves need to be fully open and the bypass line needs to be closed. Also make sure (if you have one) that the outside shower valves are closed.
Part 2. If it's the first time you're using the rig this year, it takes quite a bit to get the LP lines filled all the way to the water heater. Try lighting the stove first. Once the stove is lit, turn it off and continue to try the water heater. Make sure the LP tank valves are open. If you had the LP tanks shut off and disconnected, You may have to reset the tank valve. Disconnect the tank lines. Reconnect them and open the valves slooowly. If they are open too fast, the valve can think this is a fast leak and a safety feature kicks in and shuts the valve.

Hope this helps!

mbopp

My Atwood WH has 2 switches on the control / indicator panel, one for gas and one for electric. Does the red indicator light come on when you try it on gas? Are there any red lights on the converter indicating a blown fuse?

danemayer

My Atwood WH has 2 switches on the control / indicator panel, one for gas and one for electric. Does the red indicator light come on when you try it on gas? Are there any red lights on the converter indicating a blown fuse?

Hi mbopp,

My recollection for Suburban is that when you flip the rocker switch for LP operation, the red light comes on for a little while. I'd guess Atwood is similar.

"Red lights on the converter" - are you asking about the Power Converter that converts shore power to 12V?

Let me also suggest you take a look at the troubleshooting guides. We have one for Water Heaters (based on Suburban, but Atwood shouldn't be too different). If you suspect a problem with the Power Converter, take a look at the 12V block diagram and diagnostic guide. Here's the link.

Mizmary

Dd you check the bypass valve? We had that problem once - it started out warm and then went to room temp because cold water was mixing with the hot water after the water heater.

mbopp

Dan,

Yes, on a Suburban the red light next to the switch comes on for a few seconds after you turn the switch on. My new Atwood has the switch(es) located on the water level / battery monitor panel.

And yes I meant the power converter, a red light on a WFCO converter means a blown 12V fuse on that circuit.

donr827

If you have a outside shower make sure the valves are turned all the way off. When I first got my trailer I only had warm water on both electric and gas. When I found the outside shower faucet was on and closed it the hot water returned.
Don

Gaffer

Check the inside shower too if there is a shut-off at the head or handle.
If you have a outside shower make sure the valves are turned all the way off. When I first got my trailer I only had warm water on both electric and gas. When I found the outside shower faucet was on and closed it the hot water returned.
Don