Rear tow hitch on 2017 Wilderness by heartland 2175rb

Do they make a hitch kit for the back of my 2017 Wilderness 2175rb for towing my two 4 wheelers. I have towed doubles a few times with out problems. I dont go across country pulling 2 but I do go hunting a couple times a year here in Utah. I installed my own hitch on and older trailer I used to have and loved it. But these newer trailers are built different. Is it possible? Also where can I buy a kit? Thank you for your help.

danemayer

Just a general comment. The trailer frame is built by Lippert and they've been pretty consistent over the years that they don't support much of any kind of hitch attached to their frame. On some of the large 5th wheels, they now support a 2" receiver hitch for limited use. I doubt they would agree that towing a couple of 4 wheelers is within the frame or hitch design spec.

You could probably find a welder to build you a receiver hitch, which is what some people have done. Would it hold up? Depends on how good a job the welder does. Would it cause problems with frame or running gear? That's on you to decide. Would Lippert help you out on a 3 or 4 year old trailer if there is a problem? No chance. You'd be on your own.

TrailCreek

Just a general comment. The trailer frame is built by Lippert and they've been pretty consistent over the years that they don't support much of any kind of hitch attached to their frame. On some of the large 5th wheels, they now support a 2" receiver hitch for limited use. I doubt they would agree that towing a couple of 4 wheelers is within the frame or hitch design spec.

You could probably find a welder to build you a receiver hitch, which is what some people have done. Would it hold up? Depends on how good a job the welder does. Would it cause problems with frame or running gear? That's on you to decide. Would Lippert help you out on a 3 or 4 year old trailer if there is a problem? No chance. You'd be on your own.
Agreed. Unless some serious X bracing is done, the horizontal racking is only handled by the floor decking. RV frames are generally designed to carry floor and sidewall load deflection. Adding a 500-1000lb tail wagging on the end is not in the original engineering of most any 5th wheel trailer.

Montana Mac

Dangi

I would checkout Utah Trailer Supply and see what they advise or can do for you towards a hitch. I know my Elkridge rear hitch is only meant for 300 lbs. I have no idea what it could pull.