What GPS are you using to Geocache ?

TXBobcat

Fulltime
OK Guys..
I have been wanting to do this for some time, but I need to purchase a GPS.

I want one that I can upload poi’s and such from my computer and gives me altitude as well.

Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx about $275, but it doesn't have an altimeter .
Garmin eTrex Legend HCx about $249, no altimeter
Garmin Oregon 400t about $430 with altimeter

I know the 400t is much more than the others and is it worth the additional cost for and altimeter? I don’t know, but I would really like to have the altimeter.

A friend has a GPS that has an altimeter. I don’t know what it is or even if they still make it. I am a member of the Geocache forum and I guess for good reason they will not say which is the preferred GPS to Geocache. What are you guys using.

I am really glad this area was started in the forum. I know many of you on the forum and this will be an area with great threads. Sometimes it is nice to discuss things other than RV's. LOL..

BC

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I haven't been caching for a while but, I used streets & trips on my laptop to get me to a close location to the cache then I have a 10 year old Garmin GPS12 to get to the "spot" It has elevation and everything needed to do the last steps. You can probably find one on e bay for $25. My new Magellan 4350 has the ability to use co-ordinates. You enter the numbers and it will route you to the nearest street position and then guide you as you walk to the spot.

2010augusta

Check out the Garmin Nuvi. Most will allow additional POIs and/or enter a coordinate way-point. both our 265 and 750 have altimeters. I can not navigate and check altitude at the same time, but it is one touch-screen click away form each other. I love the large touch screen on the 750. The prices are go too. got the 750 new for $299.00 from Cabela's.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Does the 750 run on batteries so you can use it while walking? I had also been looking at the 750i. I like the big screen also. I am using the Street Pilot 2610 in my Truck. Was thinking of replacing the 2610 with the 750. Thanks for the heads up. I could live with the altimeter being selectable.

BC

2010augusta

It can run several hours ont the battery, depending on screen brightness. I meant to buy the 755 with lane assist to make interstate travel with the trailer easier, but I am still very have with the 750.

jbeletti

I downloaded the Geocaching application for the iPhone from Groundspeak - same one that jmgratz uses. Cool app!

There was a cache in the state park I was camping in this weekend for a nearby family reunion but I had no time to try tracking it down :(

Next time...

Jim

jimpav

I use the Nuvi 760 for general driving, but when I do serious geocaching, I use the Delorme Earthmate GPS PN-20 handheld GPS receiver.
It combines USGS data with the company's own frequently updated trail and street networks, meaning it displays routes that aren't yet on official maps. You can also load it with high-resolution satellite or aerial photos, street grids, scanned USGS topos, and NOAA nautical charts.

jimtoo

Bob,

The Garmin GPSmap 60CSx does have elevation. I think it is very good and accurate.

Jim M

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I use a Tom Tom GPS for driving. I have an older Garmin GPS (black and white display) handheld for elevation and trip computing. I have a Geo-Caching app on my I-phone I downloaded which works great. Has a satellite map, compass, list of close caches and the ability to save locations too. If you have an I-phone and can get that app I would recommend it.

Ray LeTourneau

Does the 750 run on batteries so you can use it while walking? I had also been looking at the 750i. I like the big screen also. I am using the Street Pilot 2610 in my Truck. Was thinking of replacing the 2610 with the 750. Thanks for the heads up. I could live with the altimeter being selectable.

BC
Hey Bobcat! What do you need an altimeter for? If you're breathin heavy, you're goin up a hill. If you're not, you're goin down hill.:D

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Just something I would like to have. My wife has trouble breathing when we are at higher altitudes, as well as my self. She also has congestive heart problems. I want to know at what altitude we are at as we travel. Right now in Custer SD we are at about 5,315 ft. When we get around Glacier National Park is at about 5840 feet. Max altitude: 6280 ft.; We are going to have some problems breathing at 6 or 7k ft.

BC

Ray LeTourneau

Just something I would like to have. My wife has trouble breathing when we are at higher altitudes, as well as my self. She also has congestive heart problems. I want to know at what altitude we are at as we travel. Right now in Custer SD we are at about 5,315 ft. When we get around Glacier National Park is at about 5840 feet. Max altitude: 6280 ft.; We are going to have some problems breathing at 6 or 7k ft.

BC
Oop's, Sorry Bob & Patti. :eek: Now I feel bad for trying to kid with you. My Apologies!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Ray
Don't worry about it. I did not take your post as being nothing but a ribbing. If you can't tease friends someone has a problem. I was just stating one of the reasons I wanted to get the altimeter. On the way to South Dakota I though the truck was pulling a bit hard until I saw a sign that told me we were going up over 4000 ft. Gas mileage was going down and it down shifted quite often. The rise was so gradual that I did not know I was going higher.

Having a good time here hope everyone else is having fun also.

BC

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
Garmin E-Trex Vista. Full color, all data as required including altitude. Used it for years backpacking and Search and Rescue: LOVE IT. Very light, fits in pocket but very short battery life!

wyleyrabbit

I have an old Magellan Merridian Gold that I've had since it was new back in 2001, but the reception isn't great. A friend of ours that we introduced to geocaching purchased a Garmin Legend HCx and in dense forest where my Magellan could only "see" 3 or 4 satellites, his was getting a strong lock on 9 or 10. Made a big difference for finding the cache...mine kept saying over here, then over there, etc., while his got him right to where the tree stump where cache was hidden.

This summer my son and I used my iPhone for geocaching, using an app called the Motionx GPS. Great app, info available here: http://gps.motionx.com/overview/. Problem is, while my Magellan Meridian can last for 8+ hours on a pair of batteries, the GPS app on my iPhone drained my just charged to 100% iPhone battery in about 90 minutes. The price is a very reasonable $2.99, but keep the battery drain in mind, and don't get lost in the forest with a dead phone.

Cheers,
Chris