WiFiRanger Router Review

AlexSian

Mobile Broadband Consultant
I'm excited about a new mobile broadband router that just came out.
You can read my entire review at: http://j.mp/wifiranger

THE BOTTOM LINE
The WiFiRanger has one feature that no (current) mobile broadband router does: WiFi as an internet source.

Beyond that hardware feature, I'm pleasantly surprised by the company's commitment to the RV community and will be recommending it to most every RVer that asks my opinion about mobile broadband routers. Its certainly not for everyone -- and it doesn't seem like it was meant to be. The people behind the WiFiRanger have targeted the RV community and other roadwarriors as the main audience for their new toy, and they seem pretty determined to refine the product to meet the needs of that target audience.

As with any first version of new technology, I am sure that there will be some growing pains along the way, but at this point I am quite confident in the abilities of the manufacturer to pull off what they have set out to accomplish. Early adopters of the WiFiRanger are bound to have ideas on how they would like to improve the product, and I am hopeful that there will be some uservoice-like website put up to allow the customers to help piroritize future enhancements.

We have an opportunity to help shape a product's success and I'm curious what people really want to see in their future mobile broadband router?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Thanks for the information Alex. I'm glad you keep coming around to offer your professional advice and opinion.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Alex
Thanks for the information on the Ranger. It seems like it does a lot that many of us use. As you may remember I have the MBR1000 which is working very well.

As I travel around the US I find that the Verizon Air Card is good in some areas, the Sprint Air Card is good in some areas and both are good in some areas. One of the features that the MBR1000 has is the ability to use both Air Cards at the same time. I have not set up this feature yet, but if the Ranger had two USB ports for Air Cards then it could select the Air Card that has the strongest signal or use both if they are weak to provide a better signal or both if they are strong and have a real screamer. When I arrive at a campground I check each card to see which has the better signal before I use it in my router.

One thing about external antennas, is that my Air Cards have ports to connect an antenna. An antenna on the ranger would only be good for local WiFi, Right?

Thanks for the information.

BC

PS...
We are in Melissa just north of McKinney. Are you still in the Dallas Area?

AlexSian

Alex
One thing about external antennas, is that my Air Cards have ports to connect an antenna. An antenna on the ranger would only be good for local WiFi, Right?
We are in Melissa just north of McKinney. Are you still in the Dallas Area?
a future version of wifiranger may support multiple cellular modems, but not this one.
you are correct, the external antenna to the WiFiRanger would only improve wifi.
i am still in dallas, near 35 and 635. how long are you in melissa for?

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
I just ordered the WiFiRanger it is on sale for a limited time for $ 99.95 plus I used Alex's coupon code (alexsian) and received an additional $ 20 off. So I purchased it for $79.99 plus shipping. I decided to buy this router because I upgraded to a Verizon Pantech UML290 4G USB Modem and my Cradlepoint CTR350 is not upgradeable to 4G.

Last edited:

AlexSian

I just ordered the WiFiRanger it is on sale for a limited time for $ 99.95 plus I used Alex's coupon code (alexsiam) and received an additional $ 20 off. So I purchased it for $79.99 plus shipping. I decided to buy this router because I upgraded to a Verizon Pantech UML290 4G USB Modem and my Cradlepoint CTR350 is not upgradeable to 4G.
What a great deal!
Minor correction, the couponcode is alexsian