Curt E-100 Bumper Mount Receiver Hitch

jstanco

BBM Pop
Hi,

Has anyone used one of these bumper hitches? I am in need of a method for hauling bikes, and this seems to be pretty cheap and easy. I already have a 2-inch receiver hitch bike rack, so it makes sense for me.

Will the sewer hose bumper support the weight of 2-3 bikes and a bike rack on my 28BH 5ver? Along with with the spare tire/rack?

Thanks!

SmokeyBare

Had one of those attached to another Fifth Wheel we once owned... Was driving on a rough stretch of road while we were on vacation... folks were flashing their lights and blowing their horn... by the time I found a safe place to pull off the road safely... I had discovered one side broke away from the Sewer tube bumper... the surviving parts were dragging on the highway... along with a very securely held pair of bikes... with one peddle worn off already.

I next tried the Bike rack on the ladder... pulled those bikes back and forth across the roads with those darn bikes doing a real number on the ladder... bouncing on every bump on the road... I expect they are now worn out... sold the bikes to a Grandmother at a campground in Ohio... she bought them for her Grandkids... Best darn thing I did for those bikes... I bet they shed a sigh of relief too... from the lack of use and the rough ride they had to endure.

SmokeyBare

John,

It's easy to consider... but to KNOW if the bumper is strong enough to have a pair of bikes attached... sort of levered out past the bumper... bouncing on each joint of the concrete highway... and not being able to actually see what's happening as you drive down the road....

I had problems... others may chime in and direct ya to other ideas... I have seen several bikes attached to the King Pin Box... Seen some on the roof of the Truck as well... Traveler (Rick) has his attached to the front of his truck..

Good Luck with your research.

Marv

irvin56

Get a welder to cut off the bumper

He can weld on a good strong square bumper and mount your rack on that.

I had it done to my old trailer. used it for hose and reciver head to mount bike rack on it. 4 bikes 6yrs use and never broke off

HRAI

I had the same done to mine as Irvin66. A welder friend of mine cut off the old flimsy 4" sqaure bumper and welded on a good 3/16" thick 4" bumper. I haul 5 bikes on it with the bumper adapter. No problems. I guess the 'bikes on the king pin' idea is OK as long as your weight ratings on your truck are OK. My weight ratings don't allow it, so I put my bikes on the back bumper.

Guy