SlideOut Awning Topper Question

Hello, I have a 2009 Sundance 2998RB fifth wheel. I need to put slideout awnings on those 3 slideout. It just took camping trip to learn the hard way. I had to get up top and sweep off those slideouts. It's a great view from up top, but quite a few strange looks though. I just wanted to find out what other Heartland owners are using. I am looking at buying a Carefree Awning topper called SideOut Kover lll or sometimes called SOK lll. It seems to be a nice product, but not sure. It can come with a wind deflectgr or a fully enclosed aluminum case. Are slideout awnings easy to install? I'm just trying to find a good product that doesn't tear, sags during rain, and doesn't fade. Thanks michigandsl

Delaine and Lindy

Slide Toppers???

I have owned 3 with and 2 without toppers (5th wheels), I don't care for the slide toppers. They make noise when its windy, and when raining they will sag. I did or tried many different things to stop the rain sag and to stop the wind, none worked. So I no longer have slide toppers, and just ordered a 2010 5th wheel and its without toppers. I do have a small leaf blower and when parked under trees, I try very hard to never park under trees but when I do I just blow the tops off, takes longer to get on top of the 5er than it does to blow them off. Good Luck with your choice. GBY ...

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I'm a fan of slide awnings. We have had 3 5're and I have had the dealer install the awnings at time of purchase. The idea of bird dropping and other stuff coming into the inside of the trailer did not give me warm fuzzies. The current rig has "carefree of colorado" with windcaps. Haven't had any problems. yes you get the some vibrations from high winds but I have inflated swimming rafts between the awning and slide which seems to stop 90% of the vibrations. Sometime you get strange looks from walkers who look up and see them but it works and cheap.

Tom of Ypsi

We have the Dometic slide toppers and they are just ok. Not familiar with the Carefree but I do like the looks of those over the Dometic. I will probably get them if and when we get another coach.

jimpav

We also have the Dometic slide toppers. They have double springs in them that I think the others don't have. The key is to get them installed so that when they are retracted, they are tight with no sag. Our first one had a sag that the dealer couldn't fix, so we got a new one. A sag might cause problems going down the road at highway speeds. After camping for the first time this weekend and seeing all the stuff that had fallen from the overhead onto the toppers, I'm glad we got them. I know eventually all that stuff would have created sealing problems.
Wouldn't it be nice if the trailer OEM's designed a wiper system of some kind that would clean/wipe the slides upon retraction?? .....but then again, there's probably a connection between Dometic, Carefree and other awning providers.

geeksrus

Sag on Slide Toppers

I only got sag on the main slide topper awning when water accumulates from rain/snow.

Recently, I built supports from PVC that raises the awning nearest the side walls, thus creating a sharper decent angle for the water to run off.

Eh!

Attachments

• P1020510.JPG
    P1020510.JPG
    202.1 KB · Views: 91
  • P1020511.JPG
    P1020511.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 75

Del600

Iowa Chapter Founding Father
I have a 2998RB and also have the slide out awnings. The dealer installed them, and am unsure what brand they are, I will check this weekend.

When we put in the slide, I stand outside to ensure proper closure, and it amazes me how much "stuff" falls of the awnings as they close, so I am sold on them.

I have not noticed any sag, and we have been in some nasty weather lately, as for wind noise.... I am sleeping in a fibrglass box, I hear everything!

As stated, the awnings do flap in the wind and collect rain: but I'll always have them installed. I've had the Carefree of Colorado Kover II for 2 years and they are working great. I didn't get the full case option.
I did the installation. Only needed the help of the neighbor (6'5'' house builder with two good ladders) when we installed the longest cover for the main slide.
The only time I've had to go up top was to remove snow and ice.
Hope that helps,
Jim

Rmcgrath53

My Dealer installed mine. They are about 5-6 inches longer than the slide.About 2-3 inches over each side. I personaly think they are great.They keep the sun off the top, and that has to keep it cooler.I think weekend warriors works fine because you dont have them out all the time for them to sag, Its those full timers that have theres out for long times and they begin to sag then flop around. Altho you could place an inertube or pillow type thing between the auning and the roof. That might keep it from sagging Anyways I like mine.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
I, too, am in favor of them. I got them on the recommendation of a friend who had gotten tired of having to brush snow off his slides when preparing to move. In addition, I would think it just couldn't be good to have a bunch of snow sitting up there and then starting to melt. When the snow melted off mine, the spring tightened back up and the awnings still are as tight as ever. I can deal with what noise I hear in the wind. As mentioned - living in a box I can hear just about everything outside, too.

Attachments

• HT 004.JPG
    HT 004.JPG
    463.6 KB · Views: 62