How to take along a generator?

Dmaxcc6spd

We have a Sundance 2998RB and we bought a NorthStar generator just in case. I hate to admit it, but it's the dog who would really need it. Our 12 year old Cocker doesn't like heat. So, if we stop somewhere for a few hours and don't have access to electric (you know how ladies love those outlet malls!) I need to keep the pooch cool. My original plan was to carry the generator in the bed of the truck behind the hitch. This doesn't work. There is simply not enough clearance. On our last trip I carried it in front of the hitch. This works fine, except I really want to add an auxilary fuel tank. 26 gallons - what was GM thinking?

My other ideas are mounting a hitch on the back of the trailer and using one of those cargo baskets. The other option is using the basket in my front mounted hitch on the truck.

Anyone have some ideas or pros/cons to my thoughts?

Thanks!

porthole

Retired
Can't help with where to put the genny, but I put a Titan fuel tank in my shortbed GMC. It now has a 52 gallon tank.

charliehorse

generater

I carry my Honda 3000 on a rear bumper hitch. My trailer came with a 4 inch box rear bumper. I strengthened this by welding in a 4 inch channel between the bumper mounts - 2 inches from and parrell to the orginal bumper . From this a receiver was welded and a square gen frame was fabricated with a hitch tube which is cantilevered & fits in the receiver. the gen legs bolt thru the bumper in holes I drilled. The hitch is bolted into receiver to minimize viberation. Most of the gen 's weigth rest directly on the rear bumper . hope this helps .

tmcran

X2 on the Titan Fuel Tank- 52 gal. It replaces the OEM and therefore does not take up bed space. I went from Colorado Springs to Abilene Tx on a single tank. Not pulling tho. Pulling the 5er this spring only filled up every other day. Very happy.....

boatdoc

I take it you have a short bed, as I have the Transfer Flow combo and still carry my Kipor 3500TI between it and the hitch with no problems.

TRAVELER07

Founding New Mexico Chapter Leader
We have a Sundance 2998RB and we bought a NorthStar generator just in case. I hate to admit it, but it's the dog who would really need it. Our 12 year old Cocker doesn't like heat. So, if we stop somewhere for a few hours and don't have access to electric (you know how ladies love those outlet malls!) I need to keep the pooch cool. My original plan was to carry the generator in the bed of the truck behind the hitch. This doesn't work. There is simply not enough clearance. On our last trip I carried it in front of the hitch. This works fine, except I really want to add an auxilary fuel tank. 26 gallons - what was GM thinking?

My other ideas are mounting a hitch on the back of the trailer and using one of those cargo baskets. The other option is using the basket in my front mounted hitch on the truck.

Anyone have some ideas or pros/cons to my thoughts?

Thanks!
Hi Dmaxcc6spd, we also have a Sundance and mounted our generator to a recever hitch on the back of our sundance. Traveled all over the country like that and no prob with towing TRAVELER07