Engine Heat?

kjazz

I have a F350 King Ranch truck and have noticed when we are pulling our new cyclone we can at times feel heat on the drivers legs. Usually it is after we hear what sounds like a fan come on...is this normal? I know nothing about this stuff!

truknutt

Committed Member
Assuming you have the 6.4L diesel...In my '09 6.4L the clutch fan will engage to help dissipate the built up heat but we have never felt it on either driver nor passenger legs/feet. Are your heater vents closing properly? That's my 2 cents and all I've got..

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Same here. When I first got my Diesel and pulled my trailer I heard a loud noise. Thought it was the transmission. But it is the fan that is controlled by the computer.

Sometimes I think mine comes on to often. 65* pulling at 60mph on flat road and the fan comes on. They told me twice that it was OK... So I have to get use to it. We are going to be traveling up some mountains this year and will see how it goes.

As to heat on your legs, I agree with Truknutt, check and see if your heater vents are open.

BC

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
The fan comes on to help cool down the engine but as the others have stated I have never felt heat on the legs. No one ever told us about the fan and I was afraid that I had done something wrong. Finally got the answer from mechanic. If it comes on to much you might need to de-coke your engine. We just had ours done and it greatly improved performance, and runs cooler now. Also had to replace the EGR valve. Common in the 6.0

kjazz

Thanks for all the responses...I did take the truck back to the dealer and had them check it. Come to find out the radiator was leaking. That is what they said the problem was anyway. We will see if it fixes the problem when we pick up the RV later this week. (Landing gear keeps blowing a fuse)