Carrier front AC tripping circuit breaker

hankie419

Here in Texas my dealer recommended adding an additional AC for the bedroom, so we did and it worked fine. It is a Carrier Air V Standard Unit. However, since you need a 50 amp hookup to use both AC's it hasn't had much use.

Now that we have the rig on the road and are able to plug into 50 amp power, we find that after the AC compressor runs for about 5 minutes, it trips the associated 20A breaker. We can run just the fan with no problem.

Any ideas for simple fixs would be greatly appreciated

ct0218

I would check the manual that came with the unit and verify the size breaker required. If correct, make sure the breaker is tight on the bar, and that the lugs that clamp the wire are tight.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Yes, as ct0218 stated, check the connections at the breaker and I would also check them at the A/C itself. Maybe a loose wire nut. Loose connections cause heat which trips breakers. Please turn off the breaker at the campground pedestal. No need to get zapped!

hankie419

Hey,
You guys were exactly right. I took the cover off my breaker box, & the black wire from the breaker for the AC was very loose. It pulled right out of the clamp on the breaker. I reinserted it, tightened it down good, & fixed my problem.

Thanks