Propane and Carbon Monoxide detectors sounding off.

jimtoo

I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem. Our new Bighorn (6 months from manufacture date) had the Propane gas and Carbon monoxide detectors both going off the other afternoon. This is the first day that the unit has been exposed to really high temps, plugged in and A/c not running. So it was hot inside. The dealer had just replaced the cook stove, but no leaks can be found there. Is it possible for the new smell (formaldehyde used in the plywood and paneling manufacture) on a hot day to set off both sensors. The odor inside was not pure propane, it was maybe slight propane and something else.

Any ideas anyone?

jpmorgan37

Jim;

My Grand Canyon has been exposed to High 90's a few times and we have never had that problem. I know that they work because I tested them at PDI and the light in my Propane detector is on. I would verify that you have no leaks with a propane leak detector if I were you. The dealer should have one. Good luck finding the cause.

John

jimtoo

Just picked up my Bighorn 3055RL today from the dealer. They report that they have soaped all the connections, done all the pressure test and pressure bleed off test and could find no leaks. So we will check it out for a couple of days being closed and in the heat. I hope everything is good to go. Because if I wake up dead :eek: some morning, I will be highly pi$$ed off :mad: . More later. :D

jpmorgan37

I sure hope that you don't wake up dead. That would really screw up a good day of camping, fishing, golf and definately take the pleasure out of bacon, eggs and a good cup of coffee. Seriously, I hope you don't have any more problems with them.

John

timk

If your thinking about waking up dead, perhaps 20 or 30 bucks for another alarm would be money well spent. To check out the existing alarms, might just be bad alarms?? If they all go off, well........ might want to crack a window.
TimK

jimtoo

We picked up our Bighorn from the dealer and brought it home on Friday, no leaks found by the techs. Well on Saturday morning I went to the 5er to start loading for an extended trip and, guess what? The propane detector was sounding off again. So being the do it myself person that I am (retired parts and service manager of auto and truck dealership, with lots of tech schools and hands on work), I got out the old soap and water and started checking for leaks. In less than 20 minutes I found that the pressure regulator in the range top was leaking (blowing bubbles). So another trip to dealer with just the range top this time to change out the regulator. Home again, installed, retested for leaks and guess what? Now my propane detector does not sound off and I don't smell propane any more.

Also wanted to say thanks to Heartland for installing a good quality CCI Controls Propane detector. It does work.

Just wanted to update and say thanks for suggestions.