Fresh Water Tank Treatment

Del600

Iowa Chapter Founding Father
I was wondering how often you guys treat your freash water holding tank?

I store mine empty (well as empty as it will get with the drain open) and rarely use it, as we try to find full hookups.

But as I was filling it yesterday, I thought that I should probably be treating it.

So if you do treat yours, how often and what do you use?

Thanks

DMitch

DEL600 - I put 1 qt. of clorox into the empty tank and fill with water. I use my pump and run water until the mixture goes through everything. I then let it set for a couple hours and drain everything. Then flush well to get any trace of clorox out of the system.

I am sure others have different methods, I am going to monitor this thread myself to see if someone has a better method.

All the best,

NWTFHunter

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
how to add to fresh water tank

I agree on the need to treat your fresh water tank but the question I have is how do you pour that in the fresh water fill. On my BH the fresh water fill is high in the compartment with little room above it to pour from anything? I know somebody has a good trick for this.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
This topic brings up the question; where are you sanitizing your fresh water tanks? At the campsite? If so, are you dumping all that water on the ground under your trailer or routing a hose to the sewer? Will the chlorine cause problems with the park septic system?

With our TT, I could get in on the driveway and did it there, letting it run down to the storm drain. With the 3670, I doubt it will ever get on my street, much less the driveway. So that means I've got to do it "in the field." We are using a full hook-up site for the season, but I think keeping the tank sanitized would be a good thing even so.

truknutt

Committed Member
I agree on the need to treat your fresh water tank but the question I have is how do you pour that in the fresh water fill. On my BH the fresh water fill is high in the compartment with little room above it to pour from anything? I know somebody has a good trick for this.

I just use a funnel and 2-3 foot length of clear vinyl hose from Lowe's (like fish tank hose). I have to stand on a stepstool to get the funnel up high enough after routing it "through" the cargo door (we have a top hinge door so I wedge/flatten the hose between the door and sidewall) and into the fill port.

itsbeertime

I use a funnel to get it into my water hose and then hook up to water and turn it on to to get it in the tank. Plus it cleans the hose, too.