Sofa Bed - Leak in Mattress caused by rough metal frame

itsbeertime

We have had our BC all of 5 weeks. The sleeper sofa came with holes in the mattress caused by sharp edges on the metal frame. Exact same place both sides. I took MANY pictures of it and sent them to my dealer who sent them to Flair. I had reason to call Flair to inquire what the mattress was made of so I could try to patch it and FINALLY use it since I'm getting nowhere, and as I was talking to the women we got to talking about it and she looked up my claim. They refused it. She said there is damage but the frame is built to specs and they will not warranty it. My dealer had said Heartland might replace the mattress, but even if they do the same thing is going to happen over and over again. The FRAME is the cause of the issue. Heartland did not build the frame and Flair is not standing behind their product.

Last edited:
B

bwwalczak

Thank you for the information good and not so good.

Heartland purchases all airbed sofa combos directly from vendor. It is very important we give them feedback.

If there are any pictures you can provide, that would be very helpful. You can send them to my email address directly. This will help our vendors provide us with the best products.

Bryan Walczak
bryanw@heartlandrvs.com

Thank you.

itsbeertime

Bryan, I can send you all the pictures you'd like, but if the manufacturer nor Heartland will stand behind their products where does that leave me? I realize Heartland didn't build the sleeper sofa, but it came to me from the Heartland factory that way. Flair already stated they will not stand behind their product and shifted the blame to Heartland and/or my dealer. I'm getting more unhappy as time goes by. 5 weeks and I still have an unusable air mattress. We had to go out and buy our own to use. I'll send you pictures later today.

Last edited:

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Time to chill?

Well this is the first I have ever heard that Flair did not step up to the plate. We have had our Landmark for over a year now and Justin, my 13 year old has slept on our Flair air mattress every weekend during the camping season. No issues to date. We have been very pleased with the robustness of this mattress.

I understand your frustration but I don’t think that throwing your hands in the air and ranting and raving are going to help your situation. Flinging the “I will NEVER buy anything again that has anything manufactured by Flair Industries in it” seems a bit over the top too. My opinion of course.

Anyway, as you can see Heartland is checking into this and I suspect something good may come of it.

Good luck,
Mark

itsbeertime

I understand your frustration but I don’t think that throwing your hands in the air and ranting and raving are going to help your situation. Flinging the
I will NEVER buy anything again that has anything manufactured by Flair Industries in it seems a bit over the top too. My opinion of course.
I'm stating facts so others can be aware of the poor attitude of Flair. I'm in business for myself. If I treated customers like this I'd be out of business, and deservedly so. And it's not the fact that I got a defective product from them. It's their attitude of too bad, we're right and you're wrong. That's exactly the impression I got from the woman I spoke to. She wasn't downright rude, but she sure wasn't pleasant, and her air certainly wasn't helpful at all.

And to clarify, I'm mad at Flair only at this point. I'm not mad at Heartland...and hopefully won't be when all is said and done.

Sorry mrcomer, I'm overly frustrated right now, and not at you. I apologize.

Last edited:

itsbeertime

Update: Flair has contacted me and offered to replace my air mattress with a new one. I thank them for taking this step. I am trying to work with them now on the metal frame which is still the cause of the problem from everything I see. I will update with the final outcome. I'm feeling somewhat better, but it shouldn't have to take something like this to get satisfaction. I appreciate the fact that they can't replace every mattress someone pokes a hole in, but it is pretty obvious that is not the case here and I thank them for realizing it and second thinking their position.

I was aware of the problem also, my frame had burs also it only took a few minutes to file down burs then i wraped them with a hd tape. i know this isn,t our fault but it is easy fix,used ours for two years works great.this was a lot easyer then the grief. good luck hope this helps. jim thomas

mierwins

We had the same issue on our firs trip with our 3300RLB this year. It turns out that after folding it back on on our delivery inspection the rough hinges tore a few small holes in the side of the mattress. When we tried to inflate it a few weeks later it was leaking terribly.

Ended up patching it when we got home, but definitely a design flaw in my opinion. Even the dealer didn't mention anything and I assume it was either him or me that caused it to get cut. Too bad I can't remember who was on that side of the mattress when we put it away! None

I never contacted Heartland or Flair as I figured they would laugh at me, but I do hope they look at these posts and see there's definitely a problem.

thomasinnv

i have a 3300rlb, and have never been able to use the air mattress in the living room sofa. the first time we pulled it out and aired it up it quickly deflated, found a tear in the top of the mattress obviously made by the frame. because of the felt like material on the top of the mattress i am guessing it cannot be patched. we have an appointment for some warranty work on one of the slides this week so we will inquire about the mattress being replaced.

fixing your air bladder

Good Morning,
I am the Sales Manager at Flair Interiors who makes the airbed, when you get into town can you shoot me another email or have someone at Heartland call me and I will come over and look at your airbladder and I will at that time replace it for you. If the problem is a Flair Interiors issue I will take care of it and if the problem seems to be from another source I will let that other source take care of it, but none the less I want to make sure you are happy and sleeping well. Give me an email when you get here. Thanks,
Tim Meade

itsbeertime

Update - I'd like to post here also, but I don't want to double post, so here's the link to my update:
//heartlandowners.org/showpost.php?p=81138&postcount=16
Please take the time to read it.

Last edited:

Ratowns

Flair - Never More

I stand by my claim that Flair is nothing but junk. Elaine at Flair told me that she couldn't supply the bent bolts because Heartland bent them. The problem was the welded nuts broke. I finally got her to send them to me but not the longer screws that would make the arms not wobble so much. That is not the way to run a business. If and when I replace my Landmark, I will ensure Flair has had nothing to do with it's interior.
Sincerely,
Rat

imchud

Me too

Hey All,
Looks like i will join the band wagon with a leaky air matterss? Our Bg Horn 3385 is 11 months old now, we just used the air bed for the 1st time this last weekend. We had our 5 year old grand daughter with us and she weighs about 50 pounds, so it wasn't like my 300 pound butt was laying on it. After 3 to 4 hours it would loose ALL of the air, so for 3 days we had to keep going out in the middle of the night and refill it?? We couldn't find any holes of tears of any kind. I just e-mailed Flair, we will see what happens... My DW tells me if they won't stand behind it, we will replace the whole thing with a "FLEXSTEEL" Sleeper Sofa:D, I will keep you up-dated....

Tommy

combine_billy

Add me to the list. We took our cyclone out for it's maiden voyage this weekend and the mattress leaked. Have also e-mailed flair.

reverts

You can add us to the list too. Purchased our 2009 BH in April 2008 went on our first trip Memorial Day weekend. Our daughter came up for weekend and ended up sleeping on floor because the mattress leaked. We took it to the dealer for some other problems in June and we told them about the mattress, when we picked it up they told us that the mattress had been replaced. We had not used it again until this Memorial day and our daughter came with us. Again we inflated the mattress and she went to bed, but within 5 minutes mattress was flat and she end up on the floor again:mad:. Needless to say holes were in the same spot as before and our daughter went home early. I knew the warranty was over by a month but I thought maybe they would do something, but I called our dealer and they said they could not do anything. I then decided to call Flair and see if they would do anything. Person was not nice and told me they would not do anything. So now we are stuck with leaky mattress, that we will try to patch or replace.

cgunn

Me Too!!!

Yep...Me Too...
The first time we used our sofa bed,It leaked too.
I used the patch kit that came with the bed but that
doesn't hold either.We bought an air mattress at Wally World
and use it on top of the unfolded couch.
Flair has definitely got some design problems.
Looks like Heartland would have figured this out by now.
Example....Colby Stereo/DVD Player!!!

imchud

flair up date and sofa question

To All...
I e-mailed Flair last night and I called customer service this morning to tell them what happened this past weekend... Long story short, they asked no questions except for my address, matterss size & vin number... one hour later I got a e-mail conformation number telling me my new air matterss was on it's way... I also got an e-mail from Tim Meade (sales Mgr) making sure all went well... I can't complain, the customer service was outstanding, however i was still within my 1 year warranty period by a few weeks, anyway it went well...
This time i'm not going to store the matterss on the bed while the sofa is closed, i dont want to take the chance it will pinch or cut the new matterss... when the bed is out we will put a thick pad between the frame and the matterss:D... My DW is still talking about replacing the sofa with a new, more comfortable one, then we would just put the air matterss on the floor for the grand kids:rolleyes:...
A quick question regarding a new sofa.... Are the current sofas built inside the unit or do they build them and then carry them through the door??? thanks...

Tommy

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
If the frame is really the cause of all these issues then why haven't any of you posted pictures to show the rest of us what to look for? For the little over one year we have had our unit we have never had any issue with the air mattress. My son uses it every single time we camp. I have been on it and I am not a light fellow. My two kids and I have been on it without issue. I am happy that Flair is stepping up in most cases but I can also feel their apprehensiveness when people call in all bent out of shape.

Please post some pics for us.

Thanks

cgunn

New Air Bladder

Well after I posted I got a PM from Tim Meade
I was surprised,needless to say...:eek::eek::eek:
All he asked is where to send the new air bladder.
After I sent him the info....5 days later I had the new bladder.
What can I say except Wow!!!NoneNoneNone
That is customer service!!
As noted above,the new design is much better with the
zip up bag that holds the bladder when folded up.
Flair and Tim sure came thru for me.
Thanks again for the service,Tim.:D:D:D

Zuey

We have a 2009 3670. On our first use of the Flair sofa bed we found one broken weld, one broken bolt, one missing bolt and a small piece of missing wood. I repaired everything and replaced all four bolt with grade 8 bolts and nuts. I am not happy with the constuction of this Flair sofa but I will just fix it until I replace it with a different brand. We will have our RV one year next month. I am a little concerned with a few of the subpar items. I plain several modifications and upgrades after the warranty expires.