forum

jbeletti

Aw gee shucks - thanks jackbuck!

Actually, the creation and layout was a joint effort by Jeff Torsrud and myself. Jeff has moved on so it's just me here. vBulletin is a very flexible forum platform. I'll continue add and revise the forums to suit the needs of the community.

Thanks for the input.

Jim

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Jim, I do have a question, though. It seemed in the past that if there were threads that I had not seen replies to, the icon on the left showed it. Now, most of them do not.

Any idea what might be happening?

jpmorgan37

Chuck;
I always go to the top and click on new post. This shows me all threads since my last visit. Then click on view first unread and that will take you right to it. On word of caution, if you go to new post and don't read them, the next time you come in, they won't show up.

John

jbeletti

Hi Chuck,

Like John, I used the New Posts link.

But to your point, the color of the icon on the left of each forum should also be an indicator of New and Old posts to you.

//heartlandowners.org/images/new_old.jpg

Above is what I just saw when I scrolled to the bottom of the forum. The icon with the orange color in it indicates that it is a post I have not read.

That said, I can't say that it works as it is supposed to all the time. Sorry if it does not. After the rally, I plan to do a forum upgrade from v3.50 to v3.54. Mostly security updates but usually a few bug fixes as well.

As a side note, soon, I plan to experiment with those New post/Old post icons. My hope is to create a custom icon for each product. For example, a Bighorn "horns" icon for all the Bighorn categories. One in "some" color for New posts and one in monocolor for Old posts.

See you at the rally Chuck.

Jim

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Went to the forum tonight three different times.

First, to only do a search to find the Lippert fix to pass to a new Bighorn owner here in Midland.

Second (about three separate links) to review threads based upon e-mails I had received because I had subscribed to them.

Third (or is it the fifth), I went into new posts and there was only one. So I looked at the icons and saw only the one new posting icon. However, in looking at the ones "without new posts", I see several that have been posted today.

Something is not working correctly.

jbeletti

Chuck,

Each time you visit the forum, a cookie that has been placed within your browser, knows that you have been to the forum previously and what has been posted since your last visit.

It is my assumption that the new/old message icons are more indicative of new posts since your last visit than they are posts that you have not read.

I know that isn't the best way to handle notifications but it is commonplace among various forums. Perhaps it is too much browser overhead on very large forums with tens of thousands of threads/posts for your browser to know which messages that you have seen and which you have not.

I do know that the vBulletin team is constantly doing bug fixes and updates to the product. I usually do every other update due to the time involved in actually updating. Sounds like 4.6 has some new features so I will update to that when it is released. Fo rnow, I am contemplating the current update out there.

Sorry such a long answer to a short question.

Jim